Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

SKY Digital Problems

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2002, 12:28 PM
Bakerman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am having problems with reception for my Sky digital. Most of the time the picture breaks and a message saying that it can't receive the channel pops up but then 5 mins later reception seems OK. I have looked at the system set up whilst it has been doing this and it looks like it is losing 'lock' and the signal strength drops away.

Any ideas ? - the people at Sky reckon a part on the dish is kaput (but I did not take a lot of confidence away from the conversation) and it will cost £60 to fix, it is only 25 months old !

Thanks
Old 20 August 2002, 12:30 PM
Doc@IlsonIlson
Scooby Regular

Mine went doo lally the other night, i think it was due to Thunder a lightening not far away from me
Doc
Old 20 August 2002, 01:57 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
If you have the Pace 2500 digibox the tuner module is poor and fail extremely regularly!

I am currently waiting for mine to be fixed....SKY have just about the WORST customer service on the country IMHO

We were on Hols, came back switched on the SKY box - no sat signal....after heavy thunderstorms the nite b4. Phoned SKY, £60 to send an engineer out

So day off the wait for the engineer - never showed[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Book another call and ANOTHER day off work - bloke comes out, asks what the problem is - I say no sat signal - I think its the box yadayadayada - he tests line - 30 seconds - yup dish is OK - its the box - no **** sherlock. - We dont carry boxes!!!!!?? - it has to be replaced by another engineer - ******* BASTIDS[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

So ANOTHER day off the wait for a loan box (tomorrow) - they phone b4 10am to say whether one is available that day (short supply allegedly) - they'd better ******* bring one[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

So in total I've currently had THREE days off, no sky system, I've paid sixty fcucking quid for the priveledge of being fcucked around and losing 3 days of my holiday entitlement.

And the best is - the loan box (if available) is only a loan - when my own box is fixed it needs ANOTHER visit (if they bother to turn up) to swap it back again...........*****[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I have no choice if we want more than 4 channels we have to have SKY - they have me over a barrel - otherwise I'd tell them to stick it so far up their ***** it would whistle when they talk
Old 20 August 2002, 02:19 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

I need to keep mine outside of my TV cabinet as when it heats up it stops working. When I lie it side on outside it works fine. Try switching it off for 20 minutes and then reconnect.

Cheers
Cammy

[Edited by camk - 8/20/2002 2:20:38 PM]
Old 20 August 2002, 02:27 PM
TomM
Scooby Regular

I had the same problems with 3 different boxes, Amstrad, Panasonic and Grundig - guess what, it wasnt the box!!

The 3rd engineer came out and changed the LNB (little black bit that points at dish) - We have had no problems since!!

On your LNB there are 5 settings, get up a ladder and change them, this made ours much better until SKY sorted it.

Cheers,

Tom.

Ps - The Panasonic box was by far the best one, it is so much quicker than the ****ty Amstrad and Grundig!!
Old 20 August 2002, 02:29 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Sure nt1 have as good a cust svrc as sk-eye...not
Old 20 August 2002, 02:34 PM
Bakerman
Scooby Regular

Thanks TomM - that rings a bell with what I was told, they said that it needed a part to go on the dish. I will get up me ladder and have a look. For interest, I think my panasonic box is excellent, have had no problems at all with it.
Old 20 August 2002, 04:30 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

Which Panasonic have u guys got? I have the TU-DSB31 & there seems to be some software bugs. For example, sometimes it'll jump to channel 999 or the interactive menu when I surf channels in quick sucession, & sometimes the box will crash when I change channels. Don't happen often but its annoying.
Old 20 August 2002, 04:35 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Same as mine Clarence. Does exactly that..

And for some reason I often cant get info on the programmes. Just says there is no info available. My parents does the same, but its a different box.

Ive got a full spare dish complete with LNB somewhere....I keep it just in case

Old 20 August 2002, 04:37 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

Ok, this is a common fault and it is caused by a dodgy power supply, which is easily fixed...

They are all the same internals too, so they're all prone to it.

The one at my parents house has just started to do it and will be getting fixed soon.
Old 20 August 2002, 04:42 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Does that apply to the old panasonic ones too? the first ones that they issued I mean...cos Ive got one of those that stopped working somewhere....

So if I took it to an elec repair place and said "put a new PSU in it please" it would work?????

Old 20 August 2002, 04:43 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

You sure the dish isn't a bit loose and blowing around in the breeze? Half a degree will be enough to cause serious signal degradation.
Old 20 August 2002, 04:47 PM
TomM
Scooby Regular

All 3 engineers that have been to my house told me that the Panasonic (mine is 2 weeks old now) is bar far the best box, and I have to say he is right. The speed which it flies through the menu's compared to the other boxes is unreal!, everything about it is better, right down to the way it looks!. The Grundig one looks like it was knocked in school by a 5 yr old! - but it does the job.