Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Help needed with cv

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2002, 03:55 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face

Not for me but my Fiancee is trying to get another job but I have been told by someone in the know that her cv is not very good . Has anyone got any genuine tips?

Thanks in advance
Old 13 August 2002, 07:47 PM
kav
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi mate

Maybe not the definitive guide but this works for me:

1. No more than 2 pages
2. Start with with name, address and contact number
3. Start with most recent job first, describing the role and any achievements/targets achieved.
4. Probably last 4 jobs is sufficient.
5. Qualifications next.
6. Then interests.
7. Then referees.

I work in sales so I've done a one-side summary sheet of all the major deals I've done.

Remember, the CV is designed to get you to the interview - that's when the real action starts.

Best of luck!
Cheers
Kav
Old 13 August 2002, 07:53 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I find it's best to have a 'Summary' section near the top describing the sort of work you do (e.g. "A Unix Systems Adminstrator with 10 years experience of blah blah blah") and some of your key skills and recent achievements. Put it between number two and three -- potential recruiters can easily identify whether you're suitable. Make sure your name is pretty big too (all too easy to remember the skillset but not the name of the candidate) and put it in the header or footer of page 2. List only relevant professional qualifications, and the highest level of academic qualification (if you have a degree, forget that you ever did A-levels).
Old 13 August 2002, 08:03 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Paul

It does vary from person to person and the type of industry that you're in. For you and me in the IT game, the secret is to keep things brief and to the point. I have always kept my CV down to 2 sides of A4 paper. That includes everything over the last 11 years of so of working and my school history / job training etc.

Anyone who has ever had to pick people for an interview will tell you what a task it can be (I have done it - not fun). You have limited time and maybe 20 or 30 CVs to read. I know when I was picking out people that anything more than 3 pages long was binned - not because they are bad, you just don't have time.

My tips would be as follows:

Your CV is a sales document - you are selling yourself. It has one purpose - to get you an interview. Fact - CVs do not get jobs, people get jobs and the impact that you make at the interview will determine whether you ultimately get offered the position.

Use good quality paper - nothing worse than cheap thin paper.
Don't put 'CV' across the top - everyone knows it's a bleeding CV! Just put your name, address and all your contact details.

First few lines should be a brief description of your current role i.e. I am a trained blah, blah with experience in these areas etc

Then pick out 5 or 6 points (use bullet points if you like) that describe some of things you've done in the recent past. i.e. I was responsible for managing a small team of people etc etc

ALWAYS use positive terms :'responsible' 'managing' 'designed' - nothing negative. Don't be afraid to sell yourself, but don't lie - make sure you can talk about any of the points if they raise it at an interview.

The second page should list your job history (most recent at the top) - no more than a couple of lines describing the job - include dates for starting and finishing the job

Next, put down your qualifications - professional and school

Last of all any other personal details i.e. clean driving license, marital status, hobbies and interests (strongly recommend you to do this as it shows you have a life outside of work!)

Also make sure, if you are emailing your CV to include MS Word and standard text formats and make sure that you state that no agency should change your CV in any way without your permission.

I'm sure you will get a million different answers, but this has worked for me over the years. more than happy to send you a copy of mine if you like.

Cheers
Chris
Old 13 August 2002, 08:17 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

well i've been looking for work for 3 weeks in the IT game now.
had countless agents telling me my 3 page cv was to long (have over 12 years exp) so i condensed and put onto two pages and am getting good feedback and have interviews.

BUT

Just had two agents call for two permie test manager positions and im now being told its two short and condensed lol.

key to story, if contracting keep to 2 pages and below, if permie depends on exp.
Old 13 August 2002, 08:39 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

PHolt

What sort if IT work are you looking for ??

My place is looking out for an AS400 technical support person.

Old 13 August 2002, 08:57 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

My dad used to interview people every week as a senior training manager.....

Preferred is one page, two page is fine, over that - big no, no!!!

Nothing much more to add than what Chris L has put there except don't put it in any flashy type folders - just the piece of paper will do

Space it out - make sure it looks pleasing to the eye, not too fussy and not too plain
Old 14 August 2002, 07:10 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Here's mine. And whilst I'm at it, if anyone has any C++ development contracts going in the Edinburgh/Borders area, please let me know.
Old 14 August 2002, 09:03 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

As has been said you will get a million different ideas. But just to add that the actual document itself should be nicely presented -no flash covers but quietly understated on say 100 g Vellum paper and make an effort with covering letter if that is required - personalise it to the job rather than just dishing out a standard -there is no excuse nowadays with word processers. I personally think one page is enough but certainly no more than 2. Be honest and reasonably enthusiastic in covering letter. Good luck.
Old 14 August 2002, 09:10 AM
ScoobyK
Scooby Regular

Hi, I work (well, worked for 16 years until redundancy !) in sales mgt and saw a lot of CVs over time. First thing to note is that a smartly presented CV makes for a lot - so spend a little bit extra and ensure that the presentation of the CV looks like you've a lot of pride in yourself (ie put the CV into a plastic wallet / border the CV etc).

Second big tip - there are comments on here about "career summary" - I would go a stage further and include a "career highlights" section. Basically this is an oportunity to document your biggest successes.

Last one, and this will only work if you have the evidence to back it up, is "commentary from peers". I include in mine some quotes that I've taken from emails, eg:

"Glenn, fantastic production stats again, your team continues to lead the way" - National Sales Manager

"Great performance on the IHT course, setting new standards for your peers" - Training Director.

...you get the idea. I include 3 pages of these quotes, and whilst it may seem over the top, and go against the grain of keeping a CV short, it's NEVER failed to get me an interview and peoples general perception is that a) I put in a lot of work, b) are impressed by the individuality of my CV, and c) it gives a lot of positive talking points for the interview or pre interview phone call.

It's all about selling yourself....SO SELL !

G
Old 14 August 2002, 01:27 PM
Burt
Scooby Regular

Sorry but complete load of cr@p about don't go over two pages, depends on the recruitment guidelines. Most IT jobs are screened by Agencies and if they like your cv, they will tell you to doctor it before it goes over to the client.
If your in IT ask an agency for a good cv format, as they see hundreds each day.

Cheers
Burt
Old 15 August 2002, 11:47 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Thanks all for the advice I have been out of the office so I did not see the replies until I came in this morning I will sort the cv out and see if she can get a new job now

Thanks