Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Shaving Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2002, 10:25 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No not the missus but me. These days I need to shave twice a day as my beard grows so fast. I have lightish brown hair and its starting to annoy me that if I shave in the morning before work then I need to again before going out in the evening etc. It also annoys the missus.

I shave after showering which helps a little. Ive used different razors with the Mach 3 being the most recent. Also used different shaving gels - Gillete, Gillete series, King of Shaves and more recently Nivea for Men (white can). Even straight after a shave I can feel the rough hair on my face.

Anyone else get this and has any tips to give?
Old 12 August 2002, 10:28 PM
topdog
Scooby Regular

rub your face with Immac, sure to work
Old 12 August 2002, 10:38 PM
Dr Pepper
Scooby Regular

Personally I hate shaving with a passion!

Never mind that, are you comming to the Cambs evening meet tomorrow, we don't mind a bit of stubble!
Old 12 August 2002, 10:48 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Wink

get some of your missus's exfoliant(cream with grit in it) cream/gel. Rub your face with it in the shower, not to vigorous. Once your rinsed tehn out of the shower. Then a towel with very hot water wrung out and wrapped round your face for 5 minutes minimum. More if you have time then just shave, DO NOT SHAVE AGAINST the hair grain so from ear to chin under your chin and hair to jaw on your face. Best shave is open face razor but difficult to master, easiest and safest is the 3 blade type but no-where near as close as open razor. Finish off with moisturisor cream....not Aftershave.

Cheers
Cammy
Old 12 August 2002, 10:58 PM
suffolkscoob
Scooby Regular

Smile

Eostrogen
Old 13 August 2002, 12:12 AM
Luke
BANNED

Wink

Hotwax and rip out every 3 days.
Old 13 August 2002, 12:14 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Grow a beard?
Old 13 August 2002, 12:28 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

I have found the Wilkinson Protector to be the best

The secret is to let the beard become soft by applying the foam on a hot (ie hot shower) skin, then let it settle for 3-5 minutes (while you shampoo, for example), then shave. Regularly rince the razor.

And hey, most guys dont seem to know that: you need to change the blades every 4-7 days, depending on your beard.

Expensive, I hear you say? - Yes, if you buy those blades at £3-4 a set, not so if you "forget" them at the bottom of the trolley
Old 13 August 2002, 07:55 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Cool

Despite all the advice to the contrary, I do shave against the grain. It's the only way I get a smooth wet shave. I've never seen the reason why they say not to shave against the grain. As my face hasn't fallen off yet (after 10-15 years of against the grain), I assume it can't be that bad for me.

I also - bizarrely - can get a closer shave with a £10 travel electric razor. Takes absolutely ages, but does give a smooth shave. Maybe a wet shave in the morning and a dry shave in the evening.
Old 13 August 2002, 08:37 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I too shave against the grain -- and I use a lady's Gillette Venus triple-blade with Aloe Vera etc lubri-strip (well, that's my secret out ). I tried a Mach III and it was nowhere near as easy or as close as the Venus.

I use 3 drops of King of Shaves oil, a little water, and leave the oil on the face for a minute before starting to shave. I'm lucky tho', facial hair is very light brown so I can usually shave every other day.
Old 13 August 2002, 08:39 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

.... and I can't believe we haven't had one of the girls taking the mick out of this thread ....
Old 13 August 2002, 09:13 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Jerome - I wasn't aware that you are not supposed to go against the grain?

My routine consists of shower, wash face with soap (or hair conditioner if really rough), let face dry for a while then apply gillette gel with moisturisers. Let soak in for a while, then begin shaving. Shave down from sideys etc, then around bottom of face and chin. Once clear, I then apply a little more gel and shave up against the grain.

It really does give you a smooth face, and I have also gone against the grain for 12 years without probs.

DW
Old 13 August 2002, 09:22 AM
rjh
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I have a wet shave in the morning, first going with the grain then going over my face again against the grain. If I don't repeat it I still have annoying hairs and if I shave just against I chop my face to pieces!

If I need to feel fresh in the evening I just wizz over with an electric razor - if I have another wet shave it really irritates my face.

It does your skin good to have a day off from shaving every once in a while as well

Richard
Old 13 August 2002, 09:25 AM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

P1Fanatic: Don't worry you are turning into a Werewolf.

Here's a few tips for you to help you bed into your new lifestyle:-

1. Don't go out during the day, your a night dweller now.
2. Avoid sleep if possible to make your eyes red and give that extra scary look.
3. Look on the bright side, you get to **** Jenny Aguter.
4. If you must eat people, could you start with that fat tw*t John Prescott, then you will be doing us all a favour. I realise that eating John Prescott might not be the most appertising thing you can do, but just think of Jenny again, that should get you through it.
5. It's OK for you to bark at the moon, but only when it's a full moon.
6. Avoid Silver Bullets, Black Bullets are OK, but they do get stuck in your teeth.
7. Don't be tempted to run amock in the tube station network, it's not big and it's not clever! Also blood tends to make the elevators break down.
8. Remember "A Werewolf is not just for XMAS, it's for life."

Old 13 August 2002, 09:36 AM
R.B.5
Scooby Regular

Try the clinuqe range of products.
Old 13 August 2002, 09:51 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

According to the GF, shaving against the grain is supposed to lead to spots and trapped hairs. I've not suffered from either. Not on my face anyway...

Forgot to mention (as someone else did) that you must shave thoroughly with the grain before going against the grain.
Old 13 August 2002, 10:41 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

My favoured shaving product is the Shaving cream of the Gods from Lush stores, looks like whipped cream, but it is long lasting and moisturises my face to the smoothness of a baby's bum.

As for technique, I for a start use a Mach 3 razor. I shave after a warm shower. Using warm water in the sink, I rinse my face again, and apply the shaving cream. As for against the grain shaving its not an bad thing, you just need to go with the grain as your last sweep. I pull my razor with the grain in short motions like you see the guys with cut throats doing. Not one long sweep as the blade get filled with gel and hair and stops working towards the bottom of the stroke. Then repeat the motion against the grain, but don't rinse the razor until after this second sweep. Rinse the razor and do long clean sweep with the grain over the area you've just shaved. This works a treat, doesn't cause rough skin and gives that smooth feeling, but as with others before you've got to use new blades for best effect.
Old 13 August 2002, 12:19 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Heheheh, I shave once a week if I need to, the beauty of being a blonde
Old 13 August 2002, 12:27 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Talking

Don't grow a beard, they're disgusting! I suppose you can have an extra meal coz of all the food in it though

Ever thought of electrolysis?
Old 13 August 2002, 12:45 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

I HATE shaving,only do it 3 or 4 times a week.Luckily my job allows me that,........and i always shave with the grain.

btw..my mum always says never trust a bloke with a beard,too shifty by half....
Old 13 August 2002, 01:57 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

I always use an electric shaver first, then have a wet shave (Mach 3 - no foam, just running water!) IN the shower. It's the easiest, fastest way to a close shave I have found.
Old 13 August 2002, 03:03 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when your using the razor, have a nail brush in the bowl at the same time, after every "stroke" claer the razor out with the nail brush, this ensures a maximumlly efficient razor.
Old 13 August 2002, 03:12 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Having a shave is like making love to a beautiful woman ....

First, you've got to massage the face and make sure it's warm and wet. Gently apply the lubricant, making sure you cover every inch of the vital areas. Then use your implement in long, gentle strokes and be gentle round the spots.

When the last bit of cream is gone, wash your implement carefully to get the muck and hairs out, and dry it before you put it away.
Old 13 August 2002, 03:38 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

LOL @ brickboy

Personally, I use Decleor Le Soin Aromessence Homme after wetting my face with very hot water. Then wet shave using either Clinique 'M' Aloe Gel or Nivea Sensitive Gel.

TONY
Old 13 August 2002, 04:05 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Can't believe this thread. Get a life you lot. Either grow a beard or take the hair off with a rusty knife a la Clint Eastwood.
Moistureiser!!!! Whats that?
I saw a guy shaving the other day whilst driving along a very busy road. And no - he did'nt spill the water as it was an electric. What a tw*t.

Alas
Old 13 August 2002, 08:08 PM
hotsam
Scooby Regular

Braun 7570. Best purchase ever!

Old 13 August 2002, 08:12 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

I always think people with facial hair have something to hide or prove! Dodgy tash makes me laugh.
Old 13 August 2002, 08:27 PM
skiddusmarkus
Scooby Regular

Blowtorch-it works for Desperate Dan.
Old 13 August 2002, 08:43 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

I'm one of those hairy beast to and gave up shaving daily, too much aggro. For a good shave I found this combo.

1) Wash face in warm water with Trevor Sorbie Facial wash.
2) Apply a few drops of body shop hemp oil and rub into skin.
3) Use Trevor Sorbie or Gillette shaving gel over the top and leave for a few minutes.
4) Shave against the grain using Gillette Mach 3 with fresh blades using lots of short strokes.
5) Wash face again in cool water and Trevor Sorbie Facial wash.

Trevors stuff is available from Boots and its excellent. I always used to get a bad shaving rash with my sensetive skin but this stuff is the biz !

AllanB

Quick Reply: Shaving Tips?