Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Omega Watch

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2002, 12:01 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whoooooo boys.

the punds per year theory is naff, when i go to the gym i wear a Nike t shirt, i could wear one from asda for a lot less (and i could work out its cost per gym session)

i doubt the 2 shirts offer much quality difference (at least not as much as price would suggest) but i wear nike in the same way i wear omega and wouldnt wear casio anymore than id wer a tshirt from asda.

T

[Edited by Tiggs - 8/7/2002 12:01:55 PM]
Old 08 July 2002, 11:49 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

If you think 4000ft is not deep enough have a look at these ones!!

http://www.watch-heaven.com/order/de...ProductID=3710

They think they are good for 12000m (aprox 40000ft!!!) and are filled with some sort of oil

Cheers

Andy

[Edited by 106rallye - 8/7/2002 11:50:35 PM]
Old 06 August 2002, 05:48 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

nice simple one...

i lost my breitling so my insurance has given £1k to spend in Goldsmiths (so no "go to the canary islands and get it cheap" stuff please)

i could buy anything from them but i'm not a jewlery person so the lot goes on a watch.

so far i am 99.9% sold on an Omega seamaster....any reason not to get this? i cant thnki of one but i'd hate to get it then find out that there is something wrong with it/a new model due out/etc.

any comments (yes, get it would be a good comment to avoid me getting buyers confusion!)

T

ps- dont forget, got to be a UK purchase and dont suggest Rolex etc cause £1k is a stupid enough amount to spend on a watch already!
Old 06 August 2002, 05:56 PM
ScoobyK
Scooby Regular

Tiggs...I have the Seamaster, fantastic watch. If it's good enough for Mr Brosnon (splg ??) !!
Old 06 August 2002, 06:03 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I got a Breitling Chrono Avenger in titanium, absolute superb watch, and very mahoosive aswell

Makes my old Tag 2000 series look a bit naff (use it when washing my car now )

IMHO Omega's are a bit common (same as Tag's), loads of bods in the IT industy seem to wear them anyway, that's why I wanted something a bit different, can't say I've seen anyone else with the same one I've got..

Old 06 August 2002, 06:20 PM
12LEE
Scooby Regular

*Speed*master.... classier IMHO
Old 06 August 2002, 06:21 PM
yoza
BANNED

Talking

Omega seamaster is a good choice for that price range,must be a full size,automatic tho,as they do a 3/4 size which is quartz and not as good!They are bringing a special model out it was available in Lanzorote last week and has a gun and 007 motif on the face,but it looked naff.
I would be thinking about adding some of your own money to the grand and go for a brietling as they are far superior to omegas.
Poss a chrono avenger which is about 1600 quid last time i looked,but was 1250 in lanzorote last week,but she wouldnt let me have it as ive got 18 watches already
Have you looked at the speedmasters and the moonwatch,both nice.The moonwatch is mechanical(ie windup)as opp to automatic but nice anyway,also be warned the face is plastic and dead easy to scratch.
Just finished takin pics of me watches for the ins man,if they are clear ill post them up for you to drool over
Later Yoza
Old 06 August 2002, 06:34 PM
yoza
BANNED

Unhappy

Yep mine too........
Dead easy to get back to "good as new tho" jewellers rouge and a dremmel with small buffer attachment
My face must be wearin pretty thin now tho
PS autos wont work in non gravety situations hence mechanical,also glass was a safety issue,so we are ok for our shuttle flights
Yoza ,The watch cleptomaniac.....
Old 06 August 2002, 06:35 PM
Vate
Scooby Regular

Seamaster Quartz is more accurate than automatic as it loses less time (like none you'd notice).
3/4 size looked much better on IMHO. 'Normal' size is that big for a reason. I'd only bother if you are really gonna use it for diving. The smaller watch is a little discrete. It doesn't look like you're trying to make a statement of wealth it's just a very nice timepiece. No rubbish about Omega 'x' is better than model 'y'. They are all decent quality swiss watches that will last a lifetime if they're looked after.
Oh and if I need to make a wealth statement I just tell the peasants to p**s o**.
Old 06 August 2002, 06:42 PM
yoza
BANNED

Red face

My girlfriend wears a seamaster quartz,and yes it is very accurate,and does incorperate a hellium release valve like its big brother,but in my eye it is not big enough,not nearly as big as my brietling emergency which is huge.
youve got me talkin about watches now...your going to get bored
Old 06 August 2002, 07:01 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

have a look at www.chronocentric.com there is an omega forum and a guide about some of the brands and how they compare.

I have been looking at watches and I have considered the Titanium Seamaster professional which is really light and looks IMO great as it is all a matt finish, and the Brietling SuperOcean (professional) The only downer on the Omega is the £1500 price tag!

IMHO I love the seamaster and if you don't get the 007 one (blue face + besel(sp?) skeleton hands) they are not that common. As far as loosing time goes quartz are much more accurate but then to me I just like the idea of an automatic, don't ask me why!! They are all certified chronometers I think so they are accurate between -4 to +6 seconds a day or somthing like that!

Have you also thought of getting more than one watch eg. a dress watch and a sports watch.

You can get an Omega dress watch (De Ville i think?) for about 500 - 600 and I personally like the look of some of the Oris Big crowns but they are not to everyones taste!

Good luck, its not the worst desision in the world to have to make!

Cheers

Andy
Old 06 August 2002, 07:30 PM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

I've never really understood the thing about having an expensive watch, but I don't hold it against others who get enjoyment out of it. I tend to spend up to £150 on a watch with loads of gizmos on it and that keeps me happy :-)
If you did the same you could spend the remainder on your Scooby ;-)
Old 06 August 2002, 07:44 PM
chopper
Scooby Regular

I've had a SS rolex datejust for 12 years - given to me as an 18th bday pressie - sentimental value and the only bit of 'jewellery' I own. That is the reason sheep, for enjoying something a bit special. Not always materialism....
Old 06 August 2002, 10:27 PM
justin warrior
Scooby Newbie

i got a a 80,s sportsmaster and it a better watch then my new tag and i alway,s get asked to sell my sportsmaster its still got style
Old 07 August 2002, 07:21 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

I recently bought the new Schumacher Omega - based on the 'Racing' series. Just can't get enough carbon fibre LOL - £1250RRP
Remember you can haggle a good 10% off at Goldsmiths.
C
Old 07 August 2002, 08:33 AM
kav
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

It's the big '40' this year so I'm going to get me an Omega Broad Arrow with the white face
Old 07 August 2002, 08:41 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Sheepsplitter - me too. I've got a watch, but I can't be arsed to wear it most of the time, as it irritates me, jangling around on my wrist.

I just use the clock on my mobile phone, or computer or in my car - one of which is almost always within sight of me!

Out of interest, do you guys with £1k+ watches actually use them for anything that requires accuracy etc (diving, flying, etc) or is it just a pose-value thing?
Old 07 August 2002, 08:46 AM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

MarkO: Maybe it's so they can time their 0-60 and 1/4 mile times even more accurately ;-)
I tend to use my heart monitor for that, much more entertaining in measuring beats per minute in a 1/4 mile run :-)

Old 07 August 2002, 08:59 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

I've got 20+ watches, I just like them - and rotate which one I wear daily. Today I am mostly wearing a Casio I bought 15 years ago for twenty five quid. I've got a couple £1k+ watches, bought because *I* liked the style. Anyone buying an automatic watch for accuracy is smoking crack - I got mine just because I liked the idea of having one, seemed 'quaint'. Now I have had to buy a winder box because I'm sick of resetting the time/date every time I get around to wearing it
My 'Marvin the Martian' flying saucer watch is one of my favourites.
C
Old 07 August 2002, 09:01 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

I've got 20+ watches, I just like them

You rich Americans crack me up.
Old 07 August 2002, 09:03 AM
Damaja
Scooby Regular

I would just like to add that Tiggs is a 6ft6" monster, the seamaster is chunky enough not look too small on him is it?
Old 07 August 2002, 09:10 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Oi Mark!
To be honest the wife's lucky we only have space for 2 or 3 cars at home, 'cause I like those too LOL Doesn't have to be expensive to be appealing!
C
Old 07 August 2002, 09:14 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Doesn't have to be expensive to be appealing!
True, but it certainly helps.
Old 07 August 2002, 09:26 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Can I just add two points:

1. On the original debate and suggestions of a speedmaster over a seamaster - last time I looked, the speedmaster had almost no waterproof qualities, which I found made it impractical.

2. 1k watch for accuracy - sorry, but your 20 quid quartz Timex is likely to be a lot more accurate than your mechanical Rolex. It just won't last as long.

Enjoy your choice.

BJH
Old 07 August 2002, 09:45 AM
Smokedog
Scooby Regular

You should get a Seiko Kinetic, keeps perfect time
Old 07 August 2002, 09:50 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Wink

keeps perfect time
<pedantic>Bet it doesn't. </pedantic>
Old 07 August 2002, 09:54 AM
Sheepsplitter
Scooby Regular

Wink

MarkO is right, a watch that doesn't work is more accurate than one that does, simply by the fact that twice a day it is perfectly accurate, all other working watches are loosing/gaining time the moment you set them :-)
Therefore a broken watch worth £0 is more accurate than a +£1000 BreiRolmasterling watch.

Old 07 August 2002, 10:07 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Cool

LOL at all the accuracy comments.

A quality automatic watch, if properly regulated once "run in" will be extremely accurate.

I know - mine has gained about 5 seconds in the past month. Thats more accurate than my Casio G Shock.

Whoever was talking about the Blue Arrow - lovely watch, but about £2,400....

Omegas are nice watches for the money. Use a bought in movement, but none the worse for that.

The question of why have an expensive watch? Hmm... why have an expensive car...same difference really...they all get you from a to b,after all...

Tiggs, around £1k will get you a nice Omega, or TAG. Whatever you do, go for an Automatic. Will last for a VERY long time.

And there's nothing like watching the second hand "sweep" rather than "tick" around the face.

Have a look here for some better guidance

www.timezone.com

[Edited by Diablo - 8/7/2002 10:09:05 AM]

Quick Reply: Omega Watch