Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Prescription sun glasses

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2002, 12:14 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny question, I recently lost my prescription sun glasses which I need for driving when the sun is out (funny enough). I have a decent pair of sunglasses and want to use them as my prescription glasses.

Will a local optician be able to insert some lenses (after I go for an eye test and get them made) into my decent sunglasses or will I have to buy some of their frames?

Has anybody done this before?

Thanks
Darren
Old 05 August 2002, 12:27 AM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Wouldn't it be easier to keep your decent sunnies and have a prescription windscreen fitted?

Your optician should be able to fit lenses into any frames you like. The likes of Specsavers offer a 1 hour service IIRC.

Paul
Old 05 August 2002, 01:00 AM
Alas
Scooby Regular

I think its a disgrace that just because some people have dodgy eyesight the get sunglasses for 6.20
Alas
Old 05 August 2002, 01:53 PM
Moles sis
Scooby Regular

yeh, should be able to swop the lenses about no problem. jus gotta pay 4 the lenses, theyll probably try and convince you to buy some of their frames but they can do it.

moles sis
Old 05 August 2002, 02:12 PM
Little Miss WRX

Thumbs down

Yeah they offer a 1 hour service unless you are as shortsighted as me

Then it is a few days to a week, that is if the supplier can get the right lenses

Old 05 August 2002, 02:37 PM
Black Cat
Scooby Regular

Most opticians will put prescription glass in your current pair you will probably have to have your eyes retested however if you haven't had a recent test.

I once had the prescription taken off a pair of glasses without the test and that worked okay.

Try Vision Express - I recently bought off the peg sunglasses and they converted them to prescription for me, plus they have a one hour service.
P
Old 05 August 2002, 03:29 PM
NENO
Scooby Regular

A note of warning because it does depend on the glasses.

If you have a pair of sunnies, such as Oakleys, with a lot of wrap around the eye you will probably struggle to find an optician who can make lenses. I wanted to get some but they had to be made by the manufacturer... which took six weeks.

I'd be interested to know if anyone had perscription Oakleys made in the UK, 'cos I need new lenses.

Trending Topics

Old 05 August 2002, 05:11 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Had my Oakleys done in the UK, albeit that the place I got it from then went and shut down - d'oh!!

I think some places will do it, the only problem you may have is the prescription and the curve of the specs.

I wanted to have Juliet's but couldn't get my prescription into them, so I've got c-wires.

You could always try e-mailing Oakley UK and asking them if they have any authorised sellers who can do the lenses in the UK, or they may even do them. They are pretty good and answer questions quickly, they've just sent me some nose rests through for my ordinary spectacles.

http://oakley.com/help/customer_service/

Matt
Old 05 August 2002, 05:19 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I am reliably informed that Oakleys go back to the manufacturer to have prescription lenses fitted. With other manufacturers the opticians can do it, but they replace the expensive lenses with bog standard tinted ones. Even if you can get 'iridium coated' prescription lenses, you've paid twice (once for the original lenses that came with the frames, once for the new lenses).

I enquired about a pair of 'Fire' Juliets with prescription lenses, and it came to £369
Old 05 August 2002, 05:33 PM
Little Miss WRX

Thumbs down

They can't do extra thin and lite lenses for sunglasses, so I either have to have dark milk bottle bottoms or wear contact lenses which is more preferrable!!!
Old 05 August 2002, 08:45 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone I'll have a word with my optician. I thought about contact lenses but I only really wear my glasses when driving. I could get away with out glasses but it is a bit of a risk, especially when my licence states that I have to wear them.

Darren
Old 05 August 2002, 10:22 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

LMWRX, my prescription is high, and I've got a pair of Oakleys, and you can't really see that they are that bad.
Old 06 August 2002, 02:06 PM
swan
Scooby Regular

Another option is to buy one of the frames that have a tinted lens that either clips over your prescription lense or is magnetised (normally on the bridge of the nose) so that the tint is in front of your lens. Personally I don't like that idea but a friend does so and is quite happy. Obviously cheaper than two sets of glasses too!
Old 06 August 2002, 02:12 PM
swan
Scooby Regular

Little Miss WRX, have you tried plastic lenses? They're much lighter than glass (esp. if thick) and I'd imagine the tint shouldn't be a problem.