Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Learner Bikes.

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2002, 10:33 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Direct access deffo. For cost-saving purposes I'd agree with the idea of getting a 400 but I'd go for the Honda CBR, Kawa ZXR400 or Suzi GSXR, much cheaper to service and run than the Honda NC30 (don't sound as good tho')

Alternatively, get a loony 70s / 80s 2-stroke like a Yam 350LC / Kawa 500H1 or Suzuki GT750 kettle. Costs around £1200, peanuts to insure (like £100 per year) & run and hairier than an Aberdeen Angus. 100mph will never feel so fast

[Edited by brickboy - 8/1/2002 10:36:19 AM]
Old 31 July 2002, 07:56 PM
markys
Scooby Regular

Wink

Could be wrong forum, please do move if needed.
Now I have a Scoob I am thinking about bikes, starting off on a 125 and then moving on to the bigger stuff. What can people recommend to start on and experiences of 125 or should I just do a direct access course and have done with it. Any comments welcome.
Old 31 July 2002, 08:05 PM
stityper
Scooby Newbie

direct access
Old 31 July 2002, 08:11 PM
caz1562
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yip, Direct access is the way to go, I went from having never sat on a motorbike to passing my test & owning a brand new CBR within 3 weeks. Now 3 yr down the line and loved every minute.

I wouldn't worry about the 125 part, go for the all out course. IMHO
Old 31 July 2002, 08:32 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I take it you're over 21 then?

If you are, definately go for Direct Access as you don't want to be restricted to something sh1te for 2 years, although you do miss out on the fun of slipstreaming your mates at 70mph trying to go 1mph faster all tucked in and the wonderful feeling you get from having witnessed an indicated 100mph for the first time (downhill) shortly before you seized your bike
Old 01 August 2002, 07:15 AM
CRAFT
Scooby Regular

Talking

Can anyone give us any info on direct access, prices etc.

Thanks in advance

CRAFT
Old 01 August 2002, 09:11 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL @ Notorious....

Once you've passed you Direct Access, I would recommend one of the many 400's that you can pick up for not a lot of money. These are great all round 1st bikes as they are cheap, reliable, fairly quick and handle well.

Bear in mind you will usually drop your first bike a couple of times as you're learning the ropes so having something other than a brand new bike will probably save you loads in the 1st couple of years.

A well ridden 400 will keep up with pretty much anything on everything except a straight road!!!

Matt
Old 01 August 2002, 11:09 AM
jase555
Scooby Regular

DAC at full ie start very basic approx £500 for the course

i think
Old 01 August 2002, 11:15 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I would also recommend DAC, I went with CSM first time round and quickly hated the way they tought me.[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Five day course and three instructors and only 1.5 days on the 500cc bike. The half day was the day I was taking the test, no time to prepare or re-adjust to the weight, power and countless other differences![img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I then leanrt with Circuit Based Training (adverts in the back of RiDE and Bike maagzines) you learn from day one on the bike you are going to take the course. Using the circuit roads and facilities (I used Melbourne at Donnington to learn counter steering) to get used to the bikes and get road crafts up.

They don't rush you the the CBT part and make sure you are actually happy to take the test (in my experience).

I would certainly recommend Circuit Based Training or other organisations that let you on the 500/600cc bikes from the off.

Passed on a 600cc Hornet!
Old 01 August 2002, 11:16 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Cue Tiggs and his

"nah...get an R1, its only as fast as you want it to be"

D
Old 01 August 2002, 11:20 AM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well I've just booked a CBT for the end of August. Didn't go for a 5 day Direct Access course because Sods law being what it is I'd fail the CBT part and bugger up the rest of the course. (I have never riden a bike above 10mph or so) Its £99 including bike,lid,refelctive thingy hire. Full course was quoted at £575 inc bike and bits hire.

Hopefully I'll pass CBT, then do Theory Test then book a 3 day full licence test. Thats what I hope anyway!

Richard
Old 01 August 2002, 11:31 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gs500 that they use as learner bikes are excellent. see this months fast bike for the gs500 nail thrashing the sti with 320 bhp.

haven't laughed so hard since grandma caught her left it in the mangle.
Old 01 August 2002, 11:37 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

"nah...get an R1, its only as fast as you want it to be"
I actually agree with this up to a point. The rider is in control, it's only the riders self-control that leads to problems on fast bikes.

The downside is that a big bike is a lot less forgiving of mistakes, too much gas out of a bend on a 400 will give you a twitch, to much gas out of a bend on an R1 and you'll get a good arial view of the surrounding fields.
Old 01 August 2002, 11:48 AM
muppet paster
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sorry, i'm old fashoined here, but an old 125 and run it through the winter on daily commute mode. This way you'll get to notice and learn about all the hazards that we a exposed to on the road without worring about dropping the plot, scaring yourself 'cause you just grabbed too much throttle or brake etc,etc. What people don't realise is that you can have just as much fun on a tiddler as you can on a 100+ BHP sports bike, except at speeds where your licence isn't whincing! And it's defo cheaper to drop a GS125 than a CBR the first time you discover the wonders of diesel & rain mixed...
Old 01 August 2002, 12:07 PM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

I did a DAS course down in Basingstoke last August - it was a 3 day thing. Did my CBT and Written Test (well multiple choice on a computer screen) in July and then the 3 day thing.

It was on a Suzuki 500 - pretty basic, but considerably quicker than the 125 I did the CBT on! It involved 2.5 days of riding around the streets of Basingstoke and learning to do U turns etc. Was basic, but I passed first time.

I have just bought a P plate Kawasaki ZX6R - and am gingerly taking my time at learning to ride a bike properly!

I think it's similar to the Car Test, in that with a DAS course you are taught to pass your test, not necessarily to learn to ride a bike. The idea is that you have a basic knowledge of how a bike works and a method of keeping your wits about you (i.e. positioning on the road, saftey checks, lifesavers etc). But it's not until you get out on your own and start riding your local roads and appreciating the speed of a bike and lean angles and stopping from 70mph etc that you learn properly.

The one thing I realised before I even did my CBT was that even in the Scooby, you can catch other road users out - they simply do not realise how quickly you can accelerate, both from a standing start, but also on the move. The number of times i have set off on a roundabout and people pull out on you is countless. Multiply that speed by at least 2 and if not 3 or 4 times, then you suddenly realise, it's not the fact that you can accelerate quickly (and to be honest thats why most people ride fast bikes), but that other road users don't realise and often cannot judge speed quickly enough.

Anyway, I ramble on, just a few of my observations - keep safe and enjoy your biking - I think the other secret is to take it EASY - don't try and rush yourself into trying to be the next Carl Fogarty - it's better to be slow and alive than fast and dead.

Jim
Old 01 August 2002, 12:31 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

B2Z SPS - Cheers mate!

JJones - There is no way in hell that Impreza is 320brake. Look at the spec for it. Be lucky if its much above standard!. And although the tests were carried out relatively scientifically. Its a little too controlled for my liking. Driving on a test track circle is nothing like riding on our ****ty roads, so in real world the results MAY be different.

IMO though you shouldn't try and compare bikes to cars. They're different animals. Though I would like to see a F1 car (DC or MS) up against the Honda V5 (Rossi) around Donnigton just for interests sake really.

Richard
Old 01 August 2002, 12:48 PM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

I did the Direct Access - but didnt get enough time on the 500 and failed first try. Just took test again and put my foot down on the U-turn and failed again (did nothing else wrong so it seemed a bit harsh) - very frustrating - but have now got an Aprilia Rs125 to play with and I have to say I am gald to be getting experience on a sports type bike with bugger all power. Once you start riding on your own without somebody in your ear it is all very different. But then on the other hand as soon as I pass the temptation to get a big bike will probably be irresistible !!!
Old 01 August 2002, 01:04 PM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

Direct access, no question.

As to the first bike, it depends on what you want it for. The 400 is perfect for weekend scratching but if you're >6ft and want a commuter and something that you and your missus can do a week in france on, then they're not so hot.

Got to say that my wife had a BMW F650GS as a first bike which I thought was pretty cool. Good enough for scratching (keep up with anything through the lanes), excellent commuter and perfect two up. She dropped it a couple of times with absolutly no damage apart from the bar end (try that on a race rep...) and a piece of **** to sell on after 18 months. It lacked the 110 horses & 75 ft/lb that I'm used to, but as a first bike i think its hard to beat.

Just be clear on what you're going to use the bike for and you'll make the right choice.

jon
Old 01 August 2002, 01:28 PM
muppet paster
Scooby Regular

Wink

Of course, the best bit about bikes is the cornering!
Old 01 August 2002, 02:03 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Wink

Muppet
Old 01 August 2002, 03:45 PM
muppet paster
Scooby Regular

muppet see, muppet do!

'chelle, which way back to the hutch...
Old 01 August 2002, 04:01 PM
wilko999
Scooby Regular

Direct Access is by far the best but i wouldn't recommend doing one of those 3 day type courses i think you learn too fast, riding a bike is dangerous and this is mainly down to idiot car drivers who never think about bikes so therefore don't look or notice them. i had one lesson a week for 6 weeks and i found that when i was driving the car round I learnt how to appreciatre every situation on the road as if I may have been on a bike. Worked for me but it is personal choice. Don't go out and by an R1 either when you pass! get something sensible for the first year like a 600cc bike, just don't ever get too cocky like i did! I don't ride anymore i found it too risky got fed up dodging people all the time and as much fun as it is I want to try and hang on to my body in it's current condition!
Old 03 August 2002, 10:07 AM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well, I did a DA course.

Did Theory test first - Buy a book and read the whole thing first.

Day 1: CBT on 125
Day 2: Full day on the 125, plus 2 hours on a Fazer (US import)
Day 3: Full day on the Fazer
Day 4: On the Fazer, then the test

Everything was one-to-one except the CBT when there were two of us. Excellent course and passed first time.

Moto-Vation in Lynham, nr Swindon was where I did it - can't recommend them highly enough.

Then went out and bought a shinny new Thundercat

Its plenty quick enough (for now, anyway!)
Old 03 August 2002, 10:15 AM
phd
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I did the same as kryten, realy enjoyed, had a great time on a Bandit in the pouring rain in March.

Already had a Kwak GPZ500s in the garage, which I thought was a sensible machine to use to get used to biking again. ( last had a bike 20 years ago )

Best this I ever did.

Will be looking for something bigger over the winter.

Pete