Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Has/does anyone on here work in the UAE/Kuwait/middle east?

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2002, 03:48 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please dont move I know its in the wrong forum

I was just wondering if anyone on here is familiar with this part of the world. I have been offered a position in Kuwait city and besides a stint in Sarjevo and Dublin have never been on this type of posting. Hoping I could discuss with someone else who works in construction/petro-chem in the middle east.

regards
Old 22 July 2002, 03:55 PM
ChrisB

Not being funny...

Zero Scooby content and if we left everything in here no point in having None Scooby.

Chris.
Old 22 July 2002, 03:59 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

but imagine that my question led to the availability of scoobs in the middle east and if anyone had one out there??

no ur right move me..

its just that this is the only BB I go on. It also contains a broad cross section of people. I was just hoping that someone like minded would see this in "general". fair point mr mod
Old 22 July 2002, 04:03 PM
ChrisB

Hmm, a little tenious link maybe?

None Scooby is the 2nd busiest forum on the board, so it's not like it's deserted

Chris.
Old 22 July 2002, 04:13 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

I worked out in Kuwait city for a while. depends what you are going to be doing, getting things is hard as everything needs to be haggled for, it is not straight forward to buy stuff, also in order to get a visa I had to have an aids test and then go to the kuwaiti embassy at queens gate in london to sort out the paperwork.

There is no alcohol allowed and there are spot checks and searches on cars.

Not wanting to put you off or anything, but I would really do some research on the place before you make a decision as it is a bit of a culture shock if your not prepared.
Old 22 July 2002, 05:31 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

omg...wurzel was this just after the war?
I have been told that I will be flying in via Bahrain for visa purposes. I will be working as a cost engineer on oil and gas. Its a permanent position with 30 days leave a year. I am trying to get info on accomodation costs as this is not included. It seems a good salary and has a car allowance on top.
What were you doing out there?
Old 22 July 2002, 07:27 PM
RB5#295
Scooby Regular

I worked in Saudi for 6 years, with a bit of time in Kuwait, Abu Dhabi and Qatar thrown in. Oil business.

There is no alcohol in the same way that there is no blow in the UK, if you get my drift. In Qatar you can buy it with an alcohol license (expats can get one with the right visa) and in AD, Dubai & Bahrain there are bars. It isn't the area to go to if you want to pull though; women are generally either with husbands or are nurses (and they are very popular).

The expats stick together and have a laugh; in Saudi they can't live in the community so are kept in compounds which means plenty of shared sports facilities and pools plus a wall around the outside and security on the gate. Kuwait etc. is much more just having a villa or apartment, but even then people stick to the same areas and everyone parties in each other's houses.

It's generally quite expensive, but a high standard of living (if you have a decent employer sending you there, if not then don't even think about it). As long as you use a bit of common sense and show respect for the locals and their customs (whether you actually have any or not) then you will ne OK. All in I liked it, but coming home was always nice.
Old 23 July 2002, 11:39 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

Thanks for replying RB5,
I had this feeling it was going to be expensive! First time I have been offered an all in salary for an overseas position so Im doing my research on costs.
The company is called Kharafi if you have any knowledge of them?

Thanks for the advice
Old 24 July 2002, 06:21 AM
RB5#295
Scooby Regular

Not one I've heard of, but that shouldn't worry you.
I was always working for multinationals who provided accommodation and transport. I would imagine that most companies employing folks from the west treat them OK, but there are lots of Pakistani, Indian and Philipine nationals there and some of them get totally screwed unfortunately.
Try to make sure you get a full open return air ticket when you travel out (and don't surender it, or your passport, when you arrive!) then no matter how bad it is you can always just walk away. Note that in Saudi (only AFAIK) you need to give the company your passport as they need to get you an exit visa; I was very uncomfortable with that the first time.
Old 24 July 2002, 09:44 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

I shouldn't worry about exit visa's just do like my father used to if he was going to leave early. Tell them your off to Bahrain at the weekend for some R&R, book a flight there. When you get there, buy a ticket on the first flight to the UK, job done.
Old 24 July 2002, 10:35 AM
noodle
Scooby Regular

gravelexpress,

My father worked in Kuwait and Saudi for around 22 years (and got caputured during the 'occupation' and sent to Iraq!) and I spent a lot of time working with him, in Kuwait.

Contary to what Wurzel has written, I found Kuwait a nice place to live and buying stuff was never a problem. Same as here really, go into a shop, produce your money and walk away with the goods. No problem.

Obviously there are the drawback as already highlighted, no alchol etc, but you have to except these things when living in a muslim state.

There is generally not much to do, when you have time off, in Kuwait, unless you sail, play squash/tennis, swim, goto the gym etc, so don't expect a wild night life, else you'll be very disappointed.

We had friends who worked in the oil business in Kuwait and I'd agree with RB5#295's comments about expats sticking together. They do, and some of the partys we've been to rival the best night's out here in the UK and although alchol is not permitted, I seem to have been very p****d on many occasions, on the old 'home brew'!!

Kharafi are a very big organisation in Kuwait and were the partner company in my fathers construction company. There is not much that goes on in Kuwait without the Kharafi family's involvement.

Given your opportunity, I'd jump at the chance, but make sure that you have all the correct paperwork in place before you go and you'll have a great time. Temp in Kuwait last week was 48oC....Phew......

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Nick

Old 24 July 2002, 10:45 PM
RB5#295
Scooby Regular

I bet Radio Kuwait had it down as 45 degrees though (otherwise it's legally too hot to work)
Old 24 July 2002, 11:04 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Remember in the UAE (ie Abu Dhabi and Dubai) turbo charged cars are illegal.

Supposed to be going on a Middle East tour to Kuwait, Saudi, Bahrain and Dubai for a month fairly soon.
Old 25 July 2002, 11:06 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thank you for all the replys and advice.
The offer is being firmed up at the moment and I think that I will accept. So I will tell you how I get on!!
Old 15 September 2002, 08:37 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

Talking

yup,
im here..
regarding the comments about turbo cars... thank god these idiots arent driving them. I have already seen 5 crash sites I have only been here a week!!!