The best Bond film is...

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2002, 11:08 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

What do you think ?

Moonraker or Live and Let Die for me....
Old 17 July 2002, 11:11 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

Live and Let Die!
Solitaire AND the theme tune
Old 17 July 2002, 11:20 PM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Smile

As a rule I think the older the better.

Piers Brosnan (whatever) don't do it for me. Too Hollywood
Old 17 July 2002, 11:22 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
oldies the best, live and let die, nothing else comes close. Any bond apart from connery and moore and i not watch
Old 17 July 2002, 11:27 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Aye - Moonraker sure is a good 'un One of my especial faves.

Like loads of them tho'
Old 17 July 2002, 11:36 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Spy Who Loved Me

Never forgot my dad taking me to see it when I was a nipper and hearing the high pitched horn...then the vision of the beautiful white Lotus Esprit driving off the ferry as Bond collected it off Q.
Old 18 July 2002, 07:11 AM
CRAFT
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yep, and the winner is....."The Spy Who Loved Me" Has the best Bond, best car best henchman, best theme and of course best bond girl
All the bond films are pretty good but all the Roger Moore bond films are the best

CRAFT

Trending Topics

Old 18 July 2002, 07:20 AM
sebastian
Scooby Regular

Goldfinger- great villain and script

Moonraker - ditto. love the set piece in the chateau when bond is introduced to Drax. Drax is so menacing yet impeccably polite and sophisticated. "look after Mr. Bond...see that some harm comes to him"
Also the pheasant shooot scene: "you missed Mr Bond.." "...Did I?" (hitman falls dead out of tree!)

Man with Golden Gun - Christopher Lee is absolutely fantastic, great settings/locations. The Mausoleum scene where he assembles the golden pistol and shoots Hi Fat is hilarious and has some of the best lines in any film ever: I cant wait to sack someone in real life using Hi Fat's quotes (trouble is Id likey get shot!)"what do they teach in that school - ballet dancing?" (Lee) "I find nothing remotely amusing about Mr. Bond's escape....I only took you on as an occasional convenience - I did not hire you to interfere with my affairs, I regret ever having employed your services..." (Hi Fat-to the worlds top assassin!)
All the while Lee is calmly assembling the gun with barelky concealed manic glee...

The one with the airship and Grace Jones has its moments too - "anyone else want to drop out?"

Basically, since Moore packed in they have been crap, the villains and the scripts have got lost somewhere along the way. And Dalton was too sweaty and anxious and weedy, and as for the new one he has had to strugggle with totally unwatchable screenplay and scripts- I mean what the hell was that one with the Rupert Murdoch figure all about? Plotless junk, no charm.
Old 18 July 2002, 08:30 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

"You Only Live Twice"

Donald Pleasance -- class act as Ernst Stavro Blofeld.
Old 18 July 2002, 08:45 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Talking

The Spy Who Loved Me - excellent theme music, and For Your Eyes Only - great role reversal for the Bond car - from sporty motor with loads of gadgets to upturned pram
Old 18 July 2002, 08:51 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Cant believe how many people say Connery was better. Roger Moore plays the english agent to a T. Moonraker, Live and Let Die and The Spy Who Loved Me are excellent.

Still the older films outshine the new ones - I just love the opening credits with the naked girls dancing in the shadows.

Connerys best line in in Thunderball whilst hes on the beach snogging some bird and shoots a frogman whose sneaking up on him with a speargun then say "I think he got the point". LOL
Old 18 July 2002, 10:20 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

The best film is Goldfinger, and Sir Sean Connery is James Bond. I used to prefer Roger Moore as I grew up watching his films in the cinema and was more familiar with him as Bond. But years of repeats have left me in no doubt that Sean rules.
Old 18 July 2002, 10:35 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I like them both for different reasons - no particular fav (although again it used to be Moore)

I think Moore plays the more suave and sophisticated Bond, a bit of a charmer.

Connery I see as the more get up and go, get stuck in and fight type Bond.

Both good for different things.

Although what were they doing when they made that bond film for Hollywood with Connery in the late 70's, that was dreadful, one of the worst.............

[Edited by ScoobyJawa - 7/18/2002 10:35:49 AM]
Old 18 July 2002, 10:39 AM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Cool

I agree with Reffro. Goldfinger was the best Bond movie. However, saying that - I believe Licence To Kill (and this is IMHO, and I'm a Bond nut) is the truest film to Fleming's Bond in the books. Roger Moore played Bond as close to the book version of Bond as I could.

Dalton is the closest to how Fleming portrayed Bond, but unfortunately wasn't what Hollywood wanted and it got a poor reception at the box office. Dalton's Bond in Licence to Kill is aggressive, moody and set on revenge for the murder of a friend, and I think it is more believable than many of the other Bond films (I'm thinking Moonraker). Having said that, I think The Living Daylights was a pile of poo, but had a good theme. Dalton seemed too soft in that.

Den (waits for slating)
Old 18 July 2002, 10:41 AM
neilbbb
Scooby Regular

i liked on her maj's secret service but goldfinger is a goodie
Old 18 July 2002, 10:59 AM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Talking

Interesting. So NO ONE likes the recent ones at all. Good!

BMWs indeed! What an insult to the good name of Bond!
Old 18 July 2002, 11:01 AM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yes, but at least they've done the only decent thing and got an Aston back in for 'Die another day'

Den
Old 18 July 2002, 11:09 AM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Man with the Golden Gun and Gold Finger are my all time favourite Bond films.
I think that my brother has got some original scripts from some of the Bond films, due to my dad having worked on a few of them. I remember him back around 1981 working in the Bahamas for over a year on Never say Never again. Imagine that getting paid to live in the Bahamas for a year. I remember when my Mum came back from visiting my dad and her saying that one morning Sean Connery was at the next table having breakfast, in the Hotel that they was staying at.
I seem to remember a t-shirt that was worn by all the crew at the time with the slogan "our Jaws are real" poking fun at (IIRC) Jaws III. Which was being filmed at the same time which used mechanical sharks unlike the Bond film which used real ones. Might still have one of the t-shirts.

ian
Old 18 July 2002, 11:09 AM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Yeah the BMW thing really got on my nerves - here we have a British secret agent driving a krout-mobile - whassup ?

Can't wait to see him in the Aston Martin for the new one. Two great British products together on screen.

I even got emotional when I saw the TVR in SWORDFISH
Old 18 July 2002, 11:18 AM
Andrewza
Scooby Regular

Wink

Probably get called a weirdo, but I liked the dalton films, darker and more realistic than any of the others.
Old 18 July 2002, 11:26 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Talking

You have to admit too - "Roger Moore" is a great name for a Bond actor
Old 18 July 2002, 11:56 AM
Jodster
Scooby Regular

I think your favourite Bond comes down to the age you were when you first saw and understood a Bond film. I'm 30 and grew up with Roger doing his thing and therefore think he's the best, untouchable. His Bond movies were just like those old Cinzano adverts from the seventies, the ones with the roller-skating hotty with the drink on the tray. Always very bright, polished and with such clear optimism that it was cinema escapism at its best. And the Pearl and Dean advertising just set things up perfectly. Ah, the 70s/80s.

I also liked Dalton for his efforts in LTK but TLD was a very average spy movie. All the Brosnan movies are watchable but are very similar to other Hollywood actions movies these days, they lack any soul and are in the end, lacking in any relatable emotion.

All that said and done, imo, the best Bond movie ever made was Enter the Dragon with Bruce Lee.