Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Identity Cards?

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2002, 07:18 PM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As stated by 14,500 rpm I think that ID cards will make it easier for people to defraud the system, you only have to look at cloned credit cards to see what will happen once Criminals get the technology to clone ID cards.
If you dont think that Criminals will be able to clone these ID cards, just name one form of ID that has never been forged?

Also if the Car registered to your name is caught on the Specs/Gatso cameras, there will be direct fining to Bank accounts etc etc. If the technology exists to raise revenue then a Politicain will, as sure as night follows day try to legislate for its use.

While people are at it, why not go one step furthor and allow the Government the right to terminate your life if the treatment that is keeping you alive ends up costing more than you are deemed to be worth to the system! Sorry, silly me the NHS already exists.
ian

[Edited by ian/555 - 7/6/2002 7:19:26 PM]
Old 04 July 2002, 03:46 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

Question

So, would YOU mind being forced to carry an ID card?
Old 04 July 2002, 03:48 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

No.
Old 04 July 2002, 03:49 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Nope - I have nothing to hide
Old 04 July 2002, 03:56 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Most people carry enough crap in their wallets giving far more info than an ID card would IMHO.

Si.
Old 04 July 2002, 04:20 PM
Velryba's chick
Scooby Regular

In most of European countries you have to carry one and you just get used to it and it doesn't bother you. BUT if you loose it you pay penalty

Most people get them lost on a nights out drinking or stuff

Kate (carrying a Czech rep ID card)
Old 04 July 2002, 04:27 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

yes
Old 04 July 2002, 04:34 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I already carry my photo licence, which is effectively an ID card.

But whilst I don't object in principal, and I think the civil rights issues are over-exaggerated, I don't think they're worth the hassle/inconvenience, and more importantly I don't think they'll solve the problems that they're set out to address....
Old 04 July 2002, 04:35 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Not a problem for me, I really can't see what the problem would be.

Nice little card that had a smart chip that would show my blood group and any medical allergies would be welcome.

We are already moving towards it with the photo-id driving license.
Old 04 July 2002, 04:35 PM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Wouldnt bother me, I'd just get used to it I suppose, but I don't see why I should HAVE to have one....if that makes any sense!
Old 04 July 2002, 04:38 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
No

Anything that might potentially stop DSS scroungers gets my vote. Prehaps if there were less of them, then there would be more money to give to the people that actually the system is designed for.
Old 04 July 2002, 04:42 PM
bros2
Scooby Regular

I hate the idea - criminals would be able to get false ones (not exactly hard to get false papers now anyway, so no real deterrent to them.

Illegal immigrants? They've broken lots of laws to get here, one more isn't going to stop them.

So who needs them? One of the things I like about Britain is the right to go where, when, and with whom I like. Whilst I have nothing particularly to hide, neither do I want a policeman demannding to see my ID card and querying why I was doing what I was doing.

I was stopped for a car check ten years back and was asked why I was driving at that time of night (1.00am). The reason was that I couldn't sleep, had just fitted new suspension and uprated driving lights to my 205GTI, and wanted to go for a blast. But why should I give this information to the police? What rights SHOULD they have to ask for this?

Seems like the return of the sus laws - "we stopped you to check you were carrying your ID card. Oh, and by the way, we'll search your car whilst we're at it....."

NO THANKS

Bros

Old 04 July 2002, 05:03 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

No, think its a good idea,firstly especially if all the relevant bods get together to get the chip working so that it can hold useful info such as blood group and medical details such as allergies etc.
Hopefully will be able to through out some of theplastic that is currently cluttering up my wallet !!
Don't think it will ever be enforced to carry it at all time, even if get 'caught' without one / forgot it will get standard producer @ local police station etc.
Oh and secondly I work for the company that is most likely to get the contract for the cards + chips, so I'm guaranteed a large pay rise !!
Richard
Old 04 July 2002, 05:14 PM
bros2
Scooby Regular

rsarjantson

"even if get 'caught' without one / forgot it will get standard producer @ local police station etc."

WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO DO THIS????? I'd rather that police and governmental resources were concentrated on areas that were needed rather than this sort of tosh.

Clearly I have a problem - I could never vote for a party who could seriously contemplate this sort of stupidity, and I could equally never vote Tory. And if I vote Lib Dem I'll need to buy a Volvo and turn vegetarian.

Bros
Old 04 July 2002, 05:17 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Wouldnt bother me. I imagine if you were stopped you would get some kind of "producer" and have to show it a police station withina period of time, like you car details.

If the rest of Europe have managed to do it, why cant we do it ? If youve got nothing to hide then whats the problem. I dont mind being stopped 3 times in a night (i did in my MY01 just after i got it) by Police to check the car. Even if it only results in 1 car in 1000 stopped being stolen and recovered, or being full of criminals, then is surely worth it.
Old 04 July 2002, 05:20 PM
Little Miss WRX

Question

Neil, can you give reason?
Old 04 July 2002, 07:29 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I'm all for ID cards as I have nothing to hide.

However you should NOT be forced to carry it 24/7

David
Old 04 July 2002, 07:36 PM
Hos
Scooby Regular

I would quite happily carry one as i can't see the prob unless you have something to hide.

Think it would however be a good idea to make all these cards into one... i,e develop a new driving licence, passport and identity card in one.
Old 04 July 2002, 07:37 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Chelle

Not that I can give in public...

BBS's have ears...
Old 04 July 2002, 07:38 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Angry

An ID card will make NAFF all difference to criminals, illegal immigrants, terrorists etc., but will immediately make every legitimate citizen a suspect in the eyes of "the authorities".

And just who will be an "authority"??

The Police, sure, Social Security, probably, renta-mob-bailiffs, eventually.

Sure, i carry credit cards, my SIDC membership etc. - but i am under no obligation to show them to ANYONE unless i want to!!!

I am INNOCENT until proven guilty, and i would like things to stay that way!!!

MB
Old 05 July 2002, 12:33 AM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

boomer,

As a car driver, I think you'll find you're guilty until you prove yourself innocent ....
Old 05 July 2002, 08:01 AM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Cool

No problem

Lived in Europe for 3 years where carrying ID was compulsory.
How many times did I have to produce it.......NONE.

Stop making it sound like we'd turn into something akin to 80s USSR.
Old 05 July 2002, 09:40 AM
Dirty Wrong'un
Scooby Regular

If caught without one and given a producer, how do the authorities know whose name to make it out in?? Criminals or illeagles would give a mates name (who has got a card) and just let him take it to a different police station where that copper doesn't work.

Therefore solving no problems!
Old 05 July 2002, 09:59 AM
Vate
Scooby Regular

The thing I'd worry about the most would be the advent of forged cards and people trying to steal your identity.
As we don't usually carry passport, driving license, birth cert. etc normally this is not a general problem but with ID cards it is safe to assume it would be.
Old 05 July 2002, 02:39 PM
Scooby Snax
Scooby Regular

i reckon it would be a good idea.
Make everyone show it when you go in pubs and clubs and it would stop all the little rudeboys getting in and a better night all round. Oh and stop you from pulling a 16 year old lol

Old 05 July 2002, 03:52 PM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

All for it.. Don't think it will lead to a police state.. we simply don't have the number of police required.. BUT perhaps it will lead to those who are entitled and those who are aren't to be more clearly defined..
Old 05 July 2002, 07:31 PM
IFG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I don't mind having a photo ID card but the thing that worries me is the smart chip on the card.

Fine it can hold you blood type for use in an emergency etc but what happens when it starts holding your sexual status, religious beliefs, politcal preferences, criminal record etc etc............. not so obvious as a gold star on your coat but just as effective !
Old 05 July 2002, 08:24 PM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

I'm all for it, good idea if you ask me. There's a bloke in the local paper this week, was found half dead on a street corner, and no one can contact his relatives, because no one knows who he is. If he had an id card, then maybe something could be done.

That and all the possibilites of ways to reduce crimes, I'm all for it, dont understand why people would care. Why don't people want to tell the police what they're doing, when they haven't got anything to hide
Old 06 July 2002, 09:49 AM
14,500rpm
Scooby Regular

Angry

what a load of crap. anyone who's for id cards doesn't know what they are talking about and is part of the easy answers brigade that bought us speed cameras. the net result of this will be more identity theft, and a general boon to criminals as they have a gold plated proof of 'who they are' or rather who they are today. Winston Churchill scrapped them in 1952 because they were a hinderence more than a help, and they are a further demonstration of the mistrust this government has towards the people. no doubt this will be floated off the back of september 11th hysteria which is already used worldwide to push through laws that stalin would have thought twice about.

pointless and ineffective.
Old 06 July 2002, 12:27 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

Can any of the "pro-ID card" folks please explain to me exactly how they (the ID cards) will prevent, say, burglary???

mb