Speeding

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2002, 10:59 AM
nuclear_pond
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Hi All.

Ive had a letter thru this morning saying ive been snapped doing 90 in a 60.

I was wondering what kind of penaly points & fine this is gonna result in. Also, could I be banned? (I have no points yet, and never have done)

Lady on the phone says it wil go to court. Should I make excuses?

It was on the A5 between shrewsbury & wrexham, where it is v.dificult to get over the speed limit of 60, so they must have caught me when I was overtaking some trucks or something, as the traffic was nose to tail all the way.

Mucho unhappy
Old 03 July 2002, 11:20 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

NP
Hi there

May i suggest requesting a copy of the picture then contact a solicitor. At least you will know the circumstances.

Good luck

Paul

Also
Try this, use link and goto 'New road traffic penalties'

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/frames.htm
Old 03 July 2002, 11:32 AM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Bad news is that 30mph over the speedlimit will generally mean a ban and a hefty fine, unless there are circumstances attached ie
wife having a baby in the back seat. You can claim that you'll lose your job without a licence if this is true, but dont lie about it, cos I expect they will check.

If you were overtaking then maybe the camera has you shown on the other side of the road. If this is the case, and you'll have to get a copy of the evidence to find out ie the photo ( which you will get as part of your defence documentation I believe. The prosecution HAVE to supply you with their evidence by law ) then you could maybe argue that you were accelerating to pass the vehicle (might NOT be agood idea to say you were going past 5 or 6 at once ) and get back to your side of the road as quickly as possible in the interest of safety, and that you were only doing that speed for that brief instant, then slowed down once you were past. You could maybe make an issue of the fact that these cars are so quick and you werent obviously staring at your speedo as you overtook, you were watching the road etc etc. so didnt ralise you had got up to that speed whilst overtaking.

A good helping of humble pie will probably also not go amiss, and luckily you can also point to a clean licence and no previous points, so obviously you "dont drive around at that speed under normal circumstances".

I must say that this is just what I'd do myself, Ive not tried it and havent been in your position, but a bloke I work with was doing 113 on the motorway. He got a 250 fine and 6 points I think it was, but didnt get a ban cos hes a sales rep and it would have meant his job. He cited road conditions, time of day, traffic levels etc..ALL of which the police are meant to record if they actually stop you, and they are MEANT to tell the magistrate but Im told they often dont! If its just a camera then you have more info to impart that may help you. If it was pissing down and foggy I'd keep quiet :P

I dont know how you get the photo, I'd ring the police if I were you and ask them.

Good Luck
Old 03 July 2002, 12:00 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/

Have a look at the “avoid that ticket” down the left hand side menu...

Had an incident with my previous car where someone with the same make, model and colour had put my plates on their car !! When I got the notice of intended prosecution thru, the police were *very* unhelpful. Think it's gonna be an uphill battle...
Old 03 July 2002, 12:31 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

i got pulled for 90 in a 60 last week on a straight road where you could see for over a mile. The bike cop knocked it down to under 90 tho as it was first offense, so I've just got 3 points

The police need to bugger off and do something worthwhile rather than sitting around trying to make money.

Was it from a mobile device, or do you just not use that stretch of road much??

Andy
Old 03 July 2002, 01:03 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Your best bet is to get a letter from your employer (on headed paper) telling the court how important your car is for your job. It's very effective in being able to avoid bans!

Your other best bet is not to get caught and not to speed (in that order )
Old 03 July 2002, 01:08 PM
nuclear_pond
Scooby Regular

It was a fixed camera, I wasn't pulled. If I do get a ban I'be heard that it would only be for 2 - 4 weeks, and would replace the fine. Hopefully it will just be points & fine. I dont mind that.

It was a stretch of road with a crawler lane, and I was zooming past some slower vehicles before the overtaking lane ran out. It was uphill as well
Old 03 July 2002, 01:10 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Sidhead,

Correct me if I'm wrong the speed limit was 60 not 90. If you exceed the speed limit you run the risk of getting caught breaking the law. I wonder if the local street robber takes a similar view that the police should bugger off and catch murderers. There is always a worse crime out there.

Sounds to me like you were treated fairly by said policeman. I'm not taking the moral high ground as in 60 limits I will often speed, but I do accept that I may get caught.

Dave
Old 03 July 2002, 01:11 PM
bros2
Scooby Regular

Get a solicitor. Contact Andreas Serghis on 01273 626762 and he'll give you good (& free!) advice.

Probably be able to get your legal cover to get him to represent you in court (and yes, you'll almost certainly be summonsed - I'd attend)

I've used him, I TOTALLY recommend him, and I still have a licence (albeit with 11 points). I was done at 30 over the limit, with 6 points already, and he managed to get it knocked down to a 5-pointer and small fine.

Bros
Old 03 July 2002, 02:15 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

and you are PROUD of that?

Oh dear me...

Maybe you need a Seat Marbella for a few weeks as punishment....the 750cc one
Old 03 July 2002, 02:19 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
When did you get done? I'm asking cos we were on that road w/e just gone and the bel550 didn't pick a thing up.
Old 03 July 2002, 03:22 PM
nuclear_pond
Scooby Regular

I was caught on Sunday at 4pm
Old 03 July 2002, 03:37 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

Not sure that telling them you will lose your job will work my mate did that and with a clean licence before hand he suddenly got a 6 month ban for one offence he then got sacked from a wicked job at SAAB GB headquarters in Marlow
Old 03 July 2002, 04:29 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Question

NP - Whereabouts? I'm up there regularly. Loads of speed camera signs, but none that I know of installed.
Old 03 July 2002, 07:36 PM
nuclear_pond
Scooby Regular

I passed a P1 on the way back, got no wave tho It was the only scooby I saw that day.

I need the picture to be sure, but the only time I went that fast was the uphill bit of the A5 where there is two lanes - one a crawler. Goes under a bridge, the flattens out before the roundabout with a McD's on it. (Chirk).

Ive done a letter saying sory, no excuse & all that, but also stating that I was speeding to overtake slower moving vehicles before the crawler lane ran out, I then returned to the speed limit.
Old 03 July 2002, 08:23 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

flipping heck, missed it by 1 hour!
Old 04 July 2002, 09:20 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Red face

That's just inside the Welsh border i.e. North Wales Police.
Old 04 July 2002, 09:39 AM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

they must have had a works day out on Sunday - we got pulled for 36 in a 30 in Coedpoeth (and right by the police station too!) Luckily we got away with it.