Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Geodesy Morpheous Plus - any good?

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2002, 04:16 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
It's good. Edited to say I wish the light wasn't blue as I keep thinking I have my full beam on.

[Edited by JackClark - 7/2/2002 4:17:09 PM]
Old 07 February 2002, 04:17 PM
Greggers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Daz / Dave / Jack.

S'pose I should have defined what I need to know a little better (cos I know that these things are supposed to be good): would you say to get one of these, or a radar detector?

[Edited by Greggers - 7/2/2002 4:17:47 PM]
Old 02 July 2002, 03:49 PM
Greggers
Scooby Regular

Question

Afternoon all....has anyone got one of these / used one?

I'm looking to get one, but just wanna know if they're recommended...

Thanks a lot,
greg
Old 02 July 2002, 03:56 PM
Daz WRX
Scooby Regular

Don't no if they are any good but there is one for sale.

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=109599

The bidding has already started
Old 02 July 2002, 03:59 PM
Dave R
Scooby Regular

Ace
Old 02 July 2002, 04:23 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Road Angel is the same type of thing but better and cheaper - someone is sorting out Scoobynet group buy prices soon. See here for review http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/roadangel.htm
Old 02 July 2002, 04:27 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Only thing you are missing out on with the GPS systems is a laser detector. It is debatable how much use this is anyway because if you are hit by a laser the reading is taken quicker than you can react. Road Angel has a 12V out and can take an input allowing you to wire it up to a laser jammer for best all round protection. GPS is better than radar detection because of all the non-radar devises that it picks up too and no false alarms. Can also warn you of known accident blackspots or anyother location you decide to add to the database.
Old 02 July 2002, 04:36 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Agree with Boost II, I have a Bell 990i but I am thinking about trading it in for a Road Angel. I have looked at the Geodesy & Origin-Blue but IMHO the Road Angel is a much neater solution as it does not require an external GPS antenna, you just plug it into your ciggy lighter and pop it on the dash as you would do with a conventional radar detector. The only thing that concerns me with the GPS systems is the companies producing them are fairly new, what happens if they stop trading no more updates to the databases. At least the conventional radar detectors do not rely on database updates, ok they are no good against sepcs or truvelo but a quick check on the many speedtrap websites will tell you of any cameras on routes you are going to travel.

Si.
Old 02 July 2002, 05:16 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

....possibly another advantage of Road Angel - you get the database updates over the internet not direct from satellites or anything fancy so even if they went bust it would seem easy for somebody else to take over the management of the database.

BTW I don't actually have one of these - I just think it sounds good!
Old 02 July 2002, 05:31 PM
Greggers
Scooby Regular

Thanks fellas.

This Road Angel sounds cool. Do you know who's organising the purchase? I'd like to contact them to see how much we're looking at.

Also (Boost II), you say that this can be linked to a jammer.
Thing is, I wanna stay legal (heard off friends about ol' bill checking their detectors very stringently). Hence a radar detector, plus either the Morpheous or Road Angel would be preferable by far.
Old 02 July 2002, 05:35 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

You can link the output of a laser jammer to the Road Angel to make it sound when the jammer is triggered. At the moment the jammers are in the same boat as radar detectors were a while back until a court case sorted out the legality of them.

Si.
Old 02 July 2002, 06:36 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Ideally they would make a cheap laser detector only (not jammer) which you could link up for about £50 - that's what I would want anyway. The two units could just sit side by side on the dash and cover most eventualities - except an unmarked car coming up behind you which you don't notice because you have all these gadgets to play with The group buy post has come back to the top in General forum - have a look over there.....
Old 04 July 2002, 12:35 AM
plug
Scooby Regular

Just like to clarify a few points after thorough investigation of the subject regarding the myths about radar/laser detectors, laser jammers are not illegal in any way, and on that point neither where radar detectors, up until 1998 the police where using a law that was designed generally for TVs and radio receivers to prosecute people for having them without a licence.
2 points, you can't use a law for something unrelated to it's original intention and also the law didn't apply anyway as was proved in the appeal case in '98.
The illegality is in perverting the course of justice, in the words of a serving traffic officer,
1. how can you be perverting the course of justice if they can't prove you where committing a speeding offence with a reading from the laser gun.
2. If they can prove you where speeding with a laser reading, that means you wheren't jamming, so could only do you for the speeding offence. Catch 22.
I have a Road Angel and the laser diffuser from the group buy. They supplied the adapter kit for linking the 2 together FOC, works a treat and wouldn't be without it now. Technically the chaps offering the group buy seem to know what they are talking about and as far as I can tell they're the only ones who seem to have the adapter kits as a package deal.
www.radar-detectors-uk.com
Old 04 July 2002, 12:37 AM
plug
Scooby Regular

P.S. I still do use my 550 as a backup.