Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rear projection TV's..and games consoles

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2002, 03:26 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Looking for a big screen solution. It's going to live in a fairly bright room, front projection is definitely out.
Was wondering if rear projection still suffers from 'burn in'(?) with video games? I don't want a giant CRT as I hate sacrificing all the space - especially as I have a 32" Tosh set in another room. Plasma is still too expensive to justify so...
Who does the best rear projection and can I usd the Xbox/dreamcast/PS2 with it?
Thanks
Chuck
Old 02 July 2002, 03:57 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have a big (52 inch) Sony rear projection screen. It won't suffer from burn, but it does suffer from direct sunlight although it is fine in a bright room. I have a PS2 and sound surround. The romm is 9ft * 9 ft, so it is really is the home cinema experience
Old 02 July 2002, 04:24 PM
ianc
Scooby Regular

Likewise, I have a Toshiba 43" (4:3), you can see reflections in it (try hanging any 43" reflective surface in your front room) but doesn't suffer with burn in off the PS2. Throw in a decent stereo and it makes a really nice home cinema.

(..and if you're sad like me, throw in a feedback steering wheel and it makes a really nice home arcade)

Old 02 July 2002, 04:25 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

M8 of mine has a Sony rear projection and uses it with a PS2, he has seen no sign of burn-in. Some games do warn of problems with burn-in if used for a long time, he has had his for over a year and so far all ok.

Si.
Old 02 July 2002, 11:13 PM
avonvilla
Scooby Regular

I ran a video game centre for 11 years and all monitors/tv's will suffer burn in but too be honest in normal home use your never gonna have the problem, remember it's the same image for prolonged time so having a attract mode on all day every day is a bit differant to playing on a home console, even arcade machines take a couple of years for it to become apparant and then thats only usually the things that never move like "player 1" or "time" etc etc.
Old 02 July 2002, 11:26 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

even arcade machines take a couple of years
Only on CRT games, deluxe stuff like Club Kart/18 Wheeler start to show phosphor burn in less than a month.

Just make sure you keep the brightness lower than normal and never leave your game paused for any amount of time.

My 40" Toshy has had Xbox/PS2/GC etc all plugged in for long hours and shows no sign of burn in yet.
Old 02 July 2002, 11:37 PM
avonvilla
Scooby Regular

I beg to differ as "deluxe" games still use crt only in projector form, any output device will suffer from excessive burn in if it's too bright, i can only presume your comments refer to a highly contrast and brightness adjusted unit where maybe it has been set this way as it is in direct sunlight.