Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Digital photography books

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2002, 03:48 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in the same boat as your dad - decades of making a living from conventional photography and now into digital.

The two technologies are very different from all sorts of angles. You need to constantly remind yourself that it's the final image that matters and that the kit is just a means to an end.

I much prefer magazines to books, especially as technology is moving so fast. I like Digital Photo with free CD each month (but I would, as it's published by my company). He'll also need Photoshop Elements to really have fun - Photoshop is THE software to use.

If you're flush, digital SLRs like the Canon D60 make the transition to digital really easy and the camera will feel comfortable and familiar.

Good luck,

Richard.

PS Edited to add that if your dad has loads of film images, as he obviously has, a film scanner is a great way to breath new life into your favourite old snaps, and new ones, too. The best of both worlds?

[Edited by Hoppy - 7/2/2002 3:53:02 AM]
Old 01 July 2002, 05:48 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Question

My Dad is interested in getting into digital photography. He's never used a digital camera or photo editing software, but has been taking photos using a 35mm SLR camera for donkeys years.

Any recommendations about a book which would suit him i.e. one that covers digital photography and image manipulation, but without going over the basics of photography?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01 July 2002, 08:45 PM
howardb
Scooby Regular

Take a look around http://www.shortcourses.com/, they have some good books on digital photography and some dedicated to specific cameras.