Historic Building Costs - any time servered builders about

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2024, 10:58 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Historic Building Costs - any time servered builders about

whoops - obvs served not servered

The TLDR version - I have just sold a London property. (Bought in 1999 > lived in it as PPR until 2007 > sold in March 2024) we did major renovations to it in 2002 (& 2015)

it was originally used as offices - so pretty rough when we bought it

in 2002 - completely new wiring (in 5 amp lighting circuits in all rooms) & central heating system (inc all new pipework and radiators) & loft conversion, new plastering throughout & new floor in 1st floor (and some asbestos removal) - see pics below

I have quite a large CGT liability

i need to estimate the 2002 renovation costs for my HMRC submission. (amazingly we still have about 30K in receipts) I was going to use a simple price per sq foot (talking to a few friends who are in the property game they say renovation cost in London now are anywhere between £120 & £600 per sq foot - 600 for an Eaton Sq job)

the property is 1700 sqft over 3 floors (3rd floor is the loft conversion) - my initial investigations suggest around £50 per sq foot (it has to be 2002 prices) - does this sound reasonable? i.e pass the "snfif test"

so the exam question is "What is a reasonable price per sq ft cost to submit?" - based on the evidence below (i obvs have more photos etc for the final Accountant / HMRC submission)

for the metric wallahs its 160 sqmtr so happy for a price per sq mtr and i will convert

1st Floor - main living kitchen area - from front & rear (confusing as its two pics scanned side by side

2nd floor

1s Floor from rear

Loft Steels going in

post renovation 2nd floor new stairs to Loft

Main pic 1st Floor from front small - from rear and a bedroom on 2nd floor

Loft and family bathroom

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 12 April 2024 at 02:57 PM.
Old 14 April 2024, 08:11 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

I'm in a similar position with a grade 2 listed barn conversion, except as self builders we get to reclaim all VAT on materials installed into the building.
Surely you know the exact cost per m2 if you carried out the work, unless I'm misunderstanding the question. Historic buildings have wildly differing costs, specific to each building and conservation requirements, so I'm guessing it would be inaccurate to give an average m2 price.
Old 16 April 2024, 04:41 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

the work was carried out 23 years ago - so maybe to the nearest 10k