Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Pace notes for the ring?

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2002, 11:38 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Going to the Nurburgring next month and as its a bit on the long side, I was wondering if pace notes exist. The only reason I ask is that I've heard countless horror stories of coming over blind crests which look identical to the last one which was a 140mph sweeper only this time its a 40mph hairpin. Does anyone have any? Even a URL with them on would do...
Cheers in advance,
astraboy.
P.S. Mods, please feel free to move to non scooby if this offends.
Old 19 June 2002, 11:46 AM
simo
Scooby Regular

astraboy

a good place to start is www.benlovejoy.com

he has a site full of ring info

cheers simon
Old 19 June 2002, 12:38 PM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Failing that, why not get some deluded fool to sit in with you and tell you what comes next? They could also advise on lines. Or you could have some passenger laps before venturing out.

Go on then, twist my arm, I'll sit in with you / give you passenger laps. Admittedly its a Skoda, but that could be a good thing as at least you'll be going slow enough to take whatever notes you want.

Failing that, have a look at Ben's site www.nurburgring.org.uk or for bend descriptions (like your pace note idea http://www.sioux-online.com/~dingsda...rdschleife.htm

Hope that helps.
Old 19 June 2002, 01:03 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

astraboy

So you are actually doing it then cool. Who are you going over there with and how much is it?
Old 19 June 2002, 01:07 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool

Better still, I got Ben Lovejoy to be my passenger and talk me through it a few times.

I'm still cr@p though.

Oh and don't follow someone who looks as if they know what they are doing. You could end up in the armco very quickly that way. Just make sure you do your own thing and DON'T time yourself as this is the path to boot hill.

F
Old 19 June 2002, 01:22 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Buy one here: http://www.circuitdriver.com/circuitguides/euro.asp

Cheers

Ian
Old 19 June 2002, 01:37 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Cool

Paul
19th to 22nd July mate. Going with some people from here. Providing my new brakes and poly suspension bushes go on. Fancy coming along? Would be double bossak if the Grale was fixed and could come along too.
Gwarn! you know you want to!
astraboy.
P.S. Cheers for all the links boys, I'm reading through them now.
Old 19 June 2002, 01:39 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Astraboy

Still not got the integrale back Not feeling to flush at the moment either Is it expensive?
Old 19 June 2002, 02:15 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

200 all in according to Tavia. If you're not up for taking both cars we could just take one and split the cost 50/50.
astraboy.
Old 19 June 2002, 02:18 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Cool

However... Imagine the Lancia and the Cossie side by side on the Autobahn at 140mph!!!!!!
You know its gotta be done mate!!!!
astraboy.
Old 19 June 2002, 04:31 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Question

Astraboy

Very tempted mate. Is that a definate on the price? I could afford about a £100 ish. Sorry I am feeling poor at the moment
Old 19 June 2002, 11:31 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Firstly, there are no unlimited speed sections of the autobahn on the way to the ring, please dont do 140MPH side by side as you will end up in jail!

Now then, pace notes for the ring, dont go there! Take your time, build your speed slowly and learn at your own pace. Everyone has diferent capabilities.

Ask a regular ringer if you can follow them for a slow lap just to get a feel for the type of lines required. It's less helpful to have someone telling you where to go as the first time they arent there you will forget as you arent concentrating as much on learning the track. I should be there that weekend, very happy to do a slow lap as you follow.

Warning sign number 1, you feel you know the track enough to start pushing. Trust me, you dont! Thats when most crashes ocur, the real danger is around 10-30 laps. You think you know it but unless you have a very good memory for tracks and have plenty of experience of reading a race track you will only end up in a mess.

There is nothing wrong with timing your laps, there is a whole heap of things wrong with trying to set a lap time. I hope you see the diference.

One things for sure, you will enjoy it as long as you are sensible.

Old 20 June 2002, 12:33 AM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

[star wars]
...I gotta baaaad feeling 'bout this...
[/star wars]
Old 20 June 2002, 12:43 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Why are you trying to condradict me John

I found that having a ringer for a guide in the car very helpfull, he pointed out loads of stuff that I'd missed. I passed this info onto other peeps as well. Next is to be slow yourself and learn the ring gradually as pace notes are dodgy (I agree with John here).

I also agree that some people push hard after only 5 - 10 laps as it's very easy to get carried away (time is short and the cost of laps add up so temptation is there to go faster).

I disagree about following others, what might be a slow lap for you John may get someone else into a lot of bother.

I agree about setting lap times, I guarantee that some people on the trip will be regailing stories of their laps times, in the cafe afterwards. Don't be tempted to join in and beat the times.

Otherwise, wise words mate.

F