Free Photoshoots

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2021, 02:23 PM
RRMedia
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Free Photoshoots

Hi all,

If anyone is interested in a free photoshoot of their pride and joy then feel free to get in touch.

I'm trying to improve and always looking for awesome cars to take some nice shots of!

The following users liked this post:
Old 21 April 2021, 03:53 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Some nice shots to start out with, hope you can appreciate some constructive feedback

Don't just think about the car (subject), the background is equally important! Think about using Bokeh to blur out the background and use the rule of thirds for more aesthetic appeal. Avoid distracting objects in the background that draw your focus away from the subject.

Lighting and exposure are also important, using post processing software such as lightroom can help improve a shot when the lighting isn't perfect. Shooting early morning or late evening (golden hour) for the best lighting conditions.

Originally Posted by RRMedia

In this pic the light on the wall above the car is distracting, you can try hiding things like this behind the subject by slightly re-framing the shot. Generally the framing of the building takes a lot away from the shot. The car is too central in the shot, would look much better if framed in the lower third of the image. The angle of the car to the gutter is really nice and enhances the picture!

This is a nice shot of the car, but the building on the right is distracting.

This is a really nice angle. Use the car to block out the distracting sign on the fence, Chopping off the last bit of the back of the car spoils the image a bit, would be better to either include the whole car or chop off all of the back end to give just a side profile.

This is the best of your images, the cars are nicely positioned in the bottom third. A wider aperture would blur out the background a bit more bringing the focus more on the cars. This image is also a bit too bright with the white cars, this would really benefit from better lighting conditions when the sun is setting. Would also be nice without the wall, but not much you can do about that unless there is another location on the lake when you can get a clear shot. A gap between the cars so you can see the front end of the second car or maybe just the one car in shot would also help.
I don't take many car photos these days. Here's a few older shots from me which I think are reasonably well framed, although my photography is greatly improved since then and there are a few things I'd now do a little differently! (Any critique is still welcome)

My old 2003 STi up in the Lake District overlooking Windermeer. 2/1/2007 approaching sunset. Image is as taken, no post processing! f/5.6 1/100s ISO400 18mm

A friends P1 up on the St Bernadino pass in Switzerland. 6/10/2008. Taken around mid-day so way too bright really, but were on a long journey and couldn't wait for better light. This image was actually published as a double spread in a car magazine for an article on the 10th anniversary of the P1. Image is as taken, no post processing! f/7.1 1/400s ISO200 220mm

Couple of P1s on a beach in Corsica. 13/10/2008 Taken mid morning - we spent far too long having breakfast on that day and missed the best light. Image is as taken, no post processing! f/9 1/320s ISO200 70mm

Wish you every success in improving your photos, hope you keep posting to see how your getting on
The following 2 users liked this post by BMWhere?:
Old 21 April 2021, 04:49 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I would say if the wall wasn’t behind the Audi and Aston they would have got lost in the brightness of the reflection on the lake, so well worth having the wall there to define the cars.
Old 21 April 2021, 06:31 PM
RRMedia
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
Welcome to the forum

Some nice shots to start out with, hope you can appreciate some constructive feedback

Don't just think about the car (subject), the background is equally important! Think about using Bokeh to blur out the background and use the rule of thirds for more aesthetic appeal. Avoid distracting objects in the background that draw your focus away from the subject.

Lighting and exposure are also important, using post processing software such as lightroom can help improve a shot when the lighting isn't perfect. Shooting early morning or late evening (golden hour) for the best lighting conditions.

I don't take many car photos these days. Here's a few older shots from me which I think are reasonably well framed, although my photography is greatly improved since then and there are a few things I'd now do a little differently! (Any critique is still welcome)

My old 2003 STi up in the Lake District overlooking Windermeer. 2/1/2007 approaching sunset. Image is as taken, no post processing! f/5.6 1/100s ISO400 18mm

A friends P1 up on the St Bernadino pass in Switzerland. 6/10/2008. Taken around mid-day so way too bright really, but were on a long journey and couldn't wait for better light. This image was actually published as a double spread in a car magazine for an article on the 10th anniversary of the P1. Image is as taken, no post processing! f/7.1 1/400s ISO200 220mm

Couple of P1s on a beach in Corsica. 13/10/2008 Taken mid morning - we spent far too long having breakfast on that day and missed the best light. Image is as taken, no post processing! f/9 1/320s ISO200 70mm

Wish you every success in improving your photos, hope you keep posting to see how your getting on
Appreciate the advice / feedback, your pics look great!