Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

BBC. They really aren't doing themselves any favours

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2020, 01:37 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts
Default BBC. They really aren't doing themselves any favours

​​​​​​First biased Brexit reporting

Re introduction of stealers fee for OAPs

Now last night at the proms debacle

I expect to see a decimalisation of the fee soon maybe even scrapping of the fee

Or do what I and others no longer pay it

Last edited by andy97; 25 August 2020 at 04:43 PM.
Old 25 August 2020, 02:12 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I do believe BBC news needs to be defunded and separated from the licence fee, its institutional bias, use of tabloidisation with loaded wording and selective reporting etc. It’s time for them to find their own revenue stream.

Turns out the former Hilton hotel...now a 4 star hotel/spa is being used by Serco to house migrants that have illegally entered the country.

Not a single mention on BBC mainstream or BBC local news.

The very same BBC that criticised the MP of the very same constituency for questioning if those entering the country via illegal and dangerous means from EU countries were not genuine asylum seekers.

Beggars belief that the BBC reports on the MPs anti migrant stance and neglects to report that his constituency is housing them in a luxury hotel!!! You can’t tell me this was an accidental omission. Someone far up chose not to report it and even stopped local BBC news from covering it.

FFS found out because Farage piped up about it. This is the last person I want hear this type of news from.
Old 25 August 2020, 03:17 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by andy97

I expect to see a decimalisation of the fee soon maybe even scrapping of the fee

If you don't pay your license fee, then you won't be watching the Proms, so it doesn't matter to you if they sing or not does it!

My sister is as crazy far left as you are far right and she claims that the BBC is biased to the right while you claim they are biased to the left! They can't possibly be both! I find it quite funny how extremists on both sides of the argument complain about the BBC. If they don't tell things the way that you believe them to be, rather than question your own beliefs, the BBC must be biased!

The problem is, the crazies just don't want to hear both sides of the argument!
The following users liked this post:
Old 25 August 2020, 03:56 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I do believe BBC news needs to be defunded and separated from the licence fee, its institutional bias, use of tabloidisation with loaded wording and selective reporting etc. It’s time for them to find their own revenue stream.

Turns out the former Hilton hotel...now a 4 star hotel/spa is being used by Serco to house migrants that have illegally entered the country.

Not a single mention on BBC mainstream or BBC local news.

The very same BBC that criticised the MP of the very same constituency for questioning if those entering the country via illegal and dangerous means from EU countries were not genuine asylum seekers.

Beggars belief that the BBC reports on the MPs anti migrant stance and neglects to report that his constituency is housing them in a luxury hotel!!! You can’t tell me this was an accidental omission. Someone far up chose not to report it and even stopped local BBC news from covering it.

FFS found out because Farage piped up about it. This is the last person I want hear this type of news from.
Immigrants in Hotels have featured on the BBC a ton of times, they have a search you can use. Just because Farage picked a particular one and reported on it doesn't mean every outlet need to follow up his story.
Old 25 August 2020, 04:05 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

If you don't pay your license fee, then you won't be watching the Proms

I can if I want, by recording the program watching later I won't though.
Old 25 August 2020, 04:17 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

If you don't pay your license fee, then you won't be watching the Proms

I can if I want, by recording the program watching later I won't though.
https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-...w-you-watch-it
Do I need a TV Licence to record a programme and watch it later?Yes. If you record any programme on live TV, you need a TV Licence. It doesn’t matter when you watch it, how you record it or whether you watch TV on a television, laptop or any other device.
Think you need to check your facts rather than just believe the bulls*** you read in the pro-Brexit groups on Facebook!
Old 25 August 2020, 04:36 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

I've not paid it for years........**** em
The following 2 users liked this post by the shreksta:
Old 25 August 2020, 04:53 PM
Russell38
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by the shreksta
I've not paid it for years........**** em
2 Years for me just watch Netflix and Youtube
Old 25 August 2020, 05:04 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Russell38
4 years for me and I keep my curtains closed due to the sun blinding my view on the tv ......amongst other reasons
The following 3 users liked this post by the shreksta:
Old 25 August 2020, 05:32 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by JackClark
Immigrants in Hotels have featured on the BBC a ton of times, they have a search you can use. Just because Farage picked a particular one and reported on it doesn't mean every outlet need to follow up his story.

Link to this ‘search’ please because I can’t find it.

My point stands...BBC main and regional news is totally devoid of it in MY area. Yet the free local rag had no problem reporting it.

So what you imply is because it’s in an area that doesn’t matter and it’s happened somewhere else some time in the past, it’s not worth reporting now to those who live there. That’s even worse.

Farage actually has been visiting numerous hotels across the country where residents have voiced concerns.

Last edited by ALi-B; 25 August 2020 at 05:33 PM.
Old 25 August 2020, 05:53 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

+1

watching GRIZZY & THE LEMMINGS on pop max but that’s FREEview don’t count 😁
Old 25 August 2020, 06:44 PM
IdonthaveaScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...ngham-53706360

Last edited by IdonthaveaScooby; 25 August 2020 at 06:45 PM.
Old 25 August 2020, 06:46 PM
IdonthaveaScooby
Scooby Regular

Immigrants ( asylum seekers )been housed in hotels all over the country , for decades

who really wants to hear piped empire rehash requim anyway ffs

Last edited by IdonthaveaScooby; 25 August 2020 at 06:49 PM.
Old 25 August 2020, 08:36 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

So you pay the BBC if you watch channel 5 or itv thats funded by adverts.
we haven't watched anything live since Christmas other than the odd clip of sky news through a firestick. Is this legal with no licence?
Old 25 August 2020, 11:04 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by IdonthaveaScooby

WRONG!

I asked for a link to the search tool (or results from it).

Read the posts before trying to be the smart ****

And I don’t live in Birmingham. I say again no results show on the BBC for this region or constituency.

Old 26 August 2020, 07:38 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
So you pay the BBC if you watch channel 5 or itv thats funded by adverts.
we haven't watched anything live since Christmas other than the odd clip of sky news through a firestick. Is this legal with no licence?
Your licence fee is not paid to the BBC, its paid to the government. They give some of the money to the BBC. Some of the money is used to fund the broadcast network, including freeview, which is used by all channels. That is why you still need to pay the license fee for receiving any live channels over the air, because they are all using the broadcast network provided by the license fee!
Old 26 August 2020, 08:28 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
Your licence fee is not paid to the BBC, its paid to the government. They give some of the money to the BBC. Some of the money is used to fund the broadcast network, including freeview, which is used by all channels. That is why you still need to pay the license fee for receiving any live channels over the air, because they are all using the broadcast network provided by the license fee!
Some you say, they generate over £3 billion in stealer fees. Probably more now due to increased prices

If you or I watch non live programs, I dont why the fee needs to be so exorbitant. I'm happy to pay for what I want to watch not a pointless fee for a politically biased news outlet
Old 26 August 2020, 08:34 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Of much greater concern is the fact that people watch a program where their type sit in a big hall and sing "Land of Hope and Glory" to each other.
Charge them double the license fee.
Old 26 August 2020, 09:29 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Rule Britannia and Land of hope and glory number 1 and 2. A bit of a PR kick in the teeth for the BBC

When British people were a little more patriotic

Hopefully those days will return
Old 26 August 2020, 09:44 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Some you say, they generate over £3 billion in stealer fees. Probably more now due to increased prices

If you or I watch non live programs, I dont why the fee needs to be so exorbitant. I'm happy to pay for what I want to watch not a pointless fee for a politically biased news outlet
You only find them biased because they don't continually spout the extremist cr@p that you like to believe! Given the amount of air time that Farage has been given over the years despite UKIP never having won a single seat in parliament, you can't possibly claim they are biased or exclude minority views - even Tommy Robinson has been given air time! Obviously more time will be given to the mainstream political parties, but the BBC gives far more time to ALL (left & right) outlying political groups than any other broadcaster.
Old 26 August 2020, 09:50 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

You only find them biased because they don't continually spout the extremist cr@p that you like to believe! Given the amount of air time that Farage has been given over the years despite UKIP never having won a single seat in parliament, you can't possibly claim they are biased or exclude minority views - even Tommy Robinson has been given air time! Obviously more time will be given to the mainstream political parties, but the BBC gives far more time to ALL (left & right) outlying political groups than any other broadcaster.
It may give a little air time, but it runs a campaign of negative Brexit bashing.

Remember the phrase 'despite Brexit'. persistently rolled out phrase by virtually all their news readers.

It's too late now for the BBC, they will eventually be defunded, commercially run. Then they can spout all the negative leave EU they like. No one will be watching or listening
Old 26 August 2020, 11:03 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

It may give a little air time, but it runs a campaign of negative Brexit bashing.

Remember the phrase 'despite Brexit'. persistently rolled out phrase by virtually all their news readers.

It's too late now for the BBC, they will eventually be defunded, commercially run. Then they can spout all the negative leave EU they like. No one will be watching or listening
I suspect you're confusing "negative Brexit bashing" with truthful reporting. Just because what they say doesn't conform to your biased viewpoint, doesn't mean what they say is wrong!

As for defunding them, that is more wishful thinking on your part! The vast majority of the British public love the BBC and are happy to pay the license fee for it!

I bet you even still pay the license fee despite what you post on here, I doubt you've got the ***** to really cancel it! If you really don't pay the fee, then you shouldn't be watching any BBC programming, so how can you possibly know about any "negative Brexit bashing"? Unless of course you're illegally watching the BBC, in which case I hope they throw away the key!
Old 26 August 2020, 11:13 AM
IdonthaveaScooby
Scooby Regular

yes , it works like your road fund license

which youre presently ducking out of also !
Old 26 August 2020, 11:32 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Link to this ‘search’ please because I can’t find it.

My point stands...BBC main and regional news is totally devoid of it in MY area. Yet the free local rag had no problem reporting it.

So what you imply is because it’s in an area that doesn’t matter and it’s happened somewhere else some time in the past, it’s not worth reporting now to those who live there. That’s even worse.

Farage actually has been visiting numerous hotels across the country where residents have voiced concerns.
<slow clap>

https://www.essexlive.news/news/esse...eekers-4439371

I’m sure you can search for Serco by yourself.
Old 26 August 2020, 12:25 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

People should also remember that the BBC is not a news organisation, they are a public sector broadcaster of which the news is just one aspect!

Think of all the programming that the BBC produces, from Entertainment, Drama, Nature & Science documentaries, Comedy, Kids etc. Then there are the Radio stations too as well as the whole public broadcasting infrastructure (from which you can receive all the other TV and Radio broadcast channels). And all for around the same annual price as a Netflix subscription!

The bonkers Brexit gammons all pretend to have cancelled their license in protest because the BBC wasn't 100% behind the Brexit campaign and dared to voice both sides of the argument! Just laughable!
Old 26 August 2020, 12:44 PM
Russell38
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

People should also remember that the BBC is not a news organisation, they are a public sector broadcaster of which the news is just one aspect!

Think of all the programming that the BBC produces, from Entertainment, Drama, Nature & Science documentaries, Comedy, Kids etc. Then there are the Radio stations too as well as the whole public broadcasting infrastructure (from which you can receive all the other TV and Radio broadcast channels). And all for around the same annual price as a Netflix subscription!

The bonkers Brexit gammons all pretend to have cancelled their license in protest because the BBC wasn't 100% behind the Brexit campaign and dared to voice both sides of the argument! Just laughable!
Licence fee isn't half price if your a low income house you pay 6 pound a week Also Netflix is 9 pound a month so cheaper than the licence fee

Last edited by Russell38; 26 August 2020 at 12:47 PM.
Old 26 August 2020, 12:51 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

tbh i dont realy care if they are left or right leaning, the second they tried to set someone up to try to sell new they crossed the line.
Old 26 August 2020, 12:58 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Gone are the days of quality programs. Its full of cheap game shows, repeated programs from years back, overpaid mouth pieces.

The following 2 users liked this post by andy97:
Old 26 August 2020, 01:09 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Licence fee isn't half price if your a low income house you pay 6 pound a week Also Netflix is 9 pound a month so cheaper than the licence fee
TV license is £13 a month, so not massively more expensive and still a damn site cheaper than a Sky subscription (which you also need a TV license for!). For £9 Netflix subscription, you can only watch two streams at a time, so not great if you're a family with several older kids each watching something different.

How many license fee haters on here love all the David Attemborough nature documentaries, or Fawlty towers, Blackadder etc. or Dr Who? The Beeb has been producing exceptional programming for years and no other non-subscription UK channel has ever come close to the sheer quantity of great programs produced by the BBC. Its been doing it for years and still doing it today and all thanks to the license fee.
Old 26 August 2020, 01:11 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Gone are the days of quality programs. Its full of cheap game shows, repeated programs from years back, overpaid mouth pieces.
How do you know if you don't watch it?

There are plenty of new programs. Admittedly during Corona there have been more repeats as lockdown has prevented new production.

Quick Reply: BBC. They really aren't doing themselves any favours