Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

My new (Non-Scooby) weekend & holiday toy.

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2020, 10:34 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts
Default My new (Non-Scooby) weekend & holiday toy.

Hello peeps.

Some of you who know me know that aside from my Subaru obsession I also love old smelly, oily classic cars. In particular old VW's. Anything with a boxer engine!

I have always had some form of classic VW beetle project on the go in the garage or on rare occasions one actually driveable and roadworthy. I still have my early small window 1963 beetle tucked away as I type this which now requires yet another engine refresh to get it back on the road.

On Monday evening I was lucky enough to win this VW camper on a facebook raffle site. I bought a single £4.99 ticket a couple of weeks back and completely forgot about it until I took the call Monday evening which was being screened live on their draw.

It's a rare early bay window crossover van. It still retains it's 50 year old bodywork in all it's rusty spendor showing all the battle scars, but everything else has been rebuilt ground upwards and the bus is essentially brand new. New floors, chassis including notching to lay the thing on the floor, 7.5" raised and 4" narrowed front beam, 1.5" engine and transmission raise, new air ride setup all round, new suspension, new wheels, new brakes, new running gear, new engine, new interior, the list goes on. It was built by one of the top UK renovation companies who make some of the top show winning cars in the UK and is incredible. Valued at £20k+

I take delivery tomorrow afternoon. Can't bloody wait!

I've worked every single day of lockdown in difficult circumstances and work has been mental whilst trying to balance 2 kids schooling. In the last few weeks it's really come to a head, but funnily enough this has really improved my mood again!

All for a single £4.99 ticket! haha.

Last edited by BrownPantsRacing; 21 August 2020 at 11:17 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BrownPantsRacing:
Old 21 August 2020, 10:41 AM
Rusti
Scooby Regular

Received 157 Likes on 132 Posts

Congrats on your winnings! Nice to see its bodywork is all original, which is a miracle! I personally prefer a more OEM stance, I have never understood the whole dub camber and sliding on its **** thing.

fantastic way to spend less than 5 quid though
Old 21 August 2020, 11:17 AM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, congrats on the win!
Old 21 August 2020, 11:17 AM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

Congratulations mate 👍 I’d be advertising it asap to get as close to 20grand as possible if that’s what it’s valued at 💰💰💰
Old 21 August 2020, 11:19 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rusti
Congrats on your winnings! Nice to see its bodywork is all original, which is a miracle! I personally prefer a more OEM stance, I have never understood the whole dub camber and sliding on its **** thing.

fantastic way to spend less than 5 quid though
I appreciate both styles, but if I were building one myself it would be fully painted and new looking rather than rat look. lol

I can live with the cool and will certainly take the worry out of kids bashing their bikes on the outside of the bus when it's in the garage. Also, the bus will raise up to standard ride height when required for driving. It has a full new digital airlift air management system fitted. Simples.
Old 21 August 2020, 11:21 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Hoff
Wow, congrats on the win!
Cheers mate.

Originally Posted by johno01
Congratulations mate 👍 I’d be advertising it asap to get as close to 20grand as possible if that’s what it’s valued at 💰💰💰
Nope, never selling this. It's going into my garage and getting used lots. Most certainly keeping this one. These old campers and beetles are going up and up in value every single year it's just crazy.
Old 21 August 2020, 11:26 AM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Cheers mate.

Nope, never selling this. It's going into my garage and getting used lots. Most certainly keeping this one. These old campers and beetles are going up and up in value every single year it's just crazy.
happy days mate 👍
Old 21 August 2020, 11:46 AM
TheOriginalAquapanther
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow!! amazing
Old 21 August 2020, 11:50 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TheOriginalAquapanther
Wow!! amazing
Thanks.
Old 21 August 2020, 11:59 AM
IdonthaveaScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

I completed a canopy for cab/ fold down open rear with framework now that a chap has converted into a hearse recently

reckons its 14k worth so far , engine refurb is next job

looks Spleet

he’s got two split screen As well

one that he saved from scrapper in 1991 for 300 quid

says worth 18 k now

Last edited by IdonthaveaScooby; 21 August 2020 at 12:02 PM.
Old 21 August 2020, 12:03 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Fair play to you engine bay looks very clean
Old 21 August 2020, 12:07 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Wow, that's awesome for a fiver!

Must admit, I love the old VW campers, particularly the original split screen! With restored bodywork and two tone paint job, they look totally mint!
Old 21 August 2020, 12:15 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 1509joe
Fair play to you engine bay looks very clean
The whole 6" upwards from ground have been replaced, so all the floors, engine bay trays and sides are all new. Just the hours and skills required to make those front arch tubs are crazy. They look OEM.
Old 21 August 2020, 12:24 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
Wow, that's awesome for a fiver!

Must admit, I love the old VW campers, particularly the original split screen! With restored bodywork and two tone paint job, they look totally mint!
Yep, always wanted a split screen but never wanted to get rid of my 63 beetle and never had the spare cash to splash on a split. This has worked out very nicely indeed. lol
Old 21 August 2020, 12:49 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

As I said to you the other day ...I am NOT jealous one bit!
Old 21 August 2020, 01:10 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Smithys STI
As I said to you the other day ...I am NOT jealous one bit!
haha. Thanks mate. I'll let you know when it arrives.
Old 21 August 2020, 03:37 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

lucky *******...we need some more interior pics
Old 21 August 2020, 05:13 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Presumably the ride-height is adjustable, otherwise the whole thing will disintegrate the second it even catches sight of a speed-hump.
Old 21 August 2020, 05:20 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Jammy baaaaaaastuuurd go on bro!!
Old 21 August 2020, 05:38 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

I'm jealous...

And bitter!!
Well won, it's always some other ****er.
Old 21 August 2020, 05:42 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
Presumably the ride-height is adjustable, otherwise the whole thing will disintegrate the second it even catches sight of a speed-hump.
It's on a fully programmable Airlift air ride system, latest generation. So it'll automatically raise to ride height when you start the car and can be raised even higher for speed bumps etc. The ride on air suspension is great too, very comfortable.
Old 21 August 2020, 05:44 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
lucky *******...we need some more interior pics
Will do once I've got it.

Originally Posted by ZANY
Jammy baaaaaaastuuurd go on bro!!
Haha. Thanks mate.

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
I'm jealous...

And bitter!!
Well won, it's always some other ****er.
Same here, I literally never win anything. This is a first for me.
Old 21 August 2020, 06:42 PM
lockheed
Scooby Regular

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Well done , The Bay Window is becoming a rare thing , I used to restore them and split screens .
Old 21 August 2020, 07:06 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lockheed
Well done , The Bay Window is becoming a rare thing , I used to restore them and split screens .
Thanks mate. When I was younger I never really liked the bay window and like most people really wanted a split. The bay shape had grown on me over the years and I especially like the early Bay model with the early small split rear end.
Old 21 August 2020, 07:08 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Help me out people, are these sort after? 20 grand plus valuation is a lot of doe and it looks like it needs bodywork..genuine question guys Btw. Cheers
Old 21 August 2020, 07:25 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Help me out people, are these sort after? 20 grand plus valuation is a lot of doe and it looks like it needs bodywork..genuine question guys Btw. Cheers
LOL. Yes very much so. All classic cars are appreciating in price as demand way exceeds availability. Also, with classic cars the more original the vehicle the more it's worth. Ten years ago I could have bought a tatty split screen camper for £5k now even shells with no floors are worth at least twice that. A split now you're looking at £35k+ and a bay £10-15+

This bus is most certainly £20k+ all day long.
Old 21 August 2020, 07:33 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
LOL. Yes very much so. All classic cars are appreciating in price as demand way exceeds availability. Also, with classic cars the more original the vehicle the more it's worth. Ten years ago I could have bought a tatty split screen camper for £5k now even shells with no floors are worth at least twice that. A split now you're looking at £35k+ and a bay £10-15+

This bus is most certainly £20k+ all day long.
good on you mate 👍👍 especially since you said you had a tough time recently with the lockdown etc....enjoy mate 👍👍
Old 21 August 2020, 07:36 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

It’s had new floors (basically being a monocoque that’s means a new chassis) but retained the top part above the sills. They like to call it rat look.

Im guessing this is a californian import being a left hooker with a small rectangle shadow on the front bumper from the US style licence plate and that fact that the outer panels skins whilst looking tatty are rust free. Any car that age that lived on European soil would definitely have rust holes in the door skins, front panel, roof etc.

In some circles ‘patina’ from age is a desired thing. Meh...I go into fits of depression whenever I see a tiny rust bubble on my cars

Must admit whilst I like VW vans, and I get how the old ones hold good money, I really don’t get how stuff like T3s with PITA water boxers command silly money (unless fitted with a decent engine) and don’t start me on T4s T5s etc.

Nice win BPR, even better when it goes to someone who wants it rather than cashes in. Treat it like a Gremlin...keep it dry; don’t wash it and put it straight away again.

I recently worked on a T2 that was the reverse of yours...pristine and tidy on top...rot box underneath. I call them pigs with lipstick It came in with a alternator fault (not charging). Easy fix I thought until I lifted the engine cover and was greeted by a type 4 engine (Porsche 914 etc) which have the alternator buried underneath. Luckily it wasn’t the alternator. That’s the thing with these vans everyone is different in some way!

Last edited by ALi-B; 21 August 2020 at 07:46 PM.
Old 21 August 2020, 07:37 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

good on you mate 👍👍 especially since you said you had a tough time recently with the lockdown etc....enjoy mate 👍👍
Thanks a lot mate. Has another stonker of a week this week, but the thought of this is most certainly keeping me going. Can't wait!!!
The following users liked this post:
Old 21 August 2020, 07:41 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
It’s had new floors (basically being a monocoque that’s means a new chassis) but retained the top part above the sills. They like to call it rat look.

Im guessing this is a californian import being a left hooker with a small rectangle shadow on the front bumper from the US style licence plate and that fact that the outer panels skins whilst looking tatty are rust free. Any car that age that lived on European soil would definitely have rust holes in the door skins, front panel, roof etc.

Must admit whilst I like them, and I get how the old ones hold good money, but I really don’t get how stuff like T3s with PITA water boxers command silly money (unless fitted with a decent engine) and don’t start me on T4s T5s etc.

Nice win BPR, even better when it goes to someone who wants it rather than cashes in. Treat it like a Gremlin...keep it dry; don’t wash it and put it straight away again.

I recently worked on a T2 that was the reverse of yours...pristine and tidy on top...rot box underneath. I call them pigs with lipstick It came in with a alternator fault (not charging). Easy fix I thought until I lifted the engine cover and was greeted by a type 4 engine (Porsche 914 etc) which have the alternator buried underneath. Luckily it wasn’t the alternator. That’s the thing with these vans everyone is different in some way!
Cheers bud, yes you're bang on the money. Solid as a rock now, just cosmetic rust and character. Now I've located the previous owner and builder and looked into the history it seems this one in particular is very highly regarded and sought after. The engineering that's gone into this is something else.
The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: My new (Non-Scooby) weekend & holiday toy.