Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone on here going to see the Sex Pistols ??

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2002, 05:10 PM
Modrapheniac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Got tickets to see 'em at Crystal palace on 27th July, anyone else going ??
Old 17 June 2002, 09:27 PM
Swift Nick
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Not me unfortunately

Sounds cool though who's left from the original line up?

Nick

Old 17 June 2002, 10:26 PM
Les H
Scooby Regular

I'm gonna be there, the Pistols were one of the few Punk bands I didn,t get to see back in 76,77,78.Looking forward to it big time.Right on my doorstep as well.
Old 18 June 2002, 11:40 AM
Modrapheniac
Scooby Regular

Talking

Swift Nick

In answer to your question .... all of 'em. Sid wasn't in the original line up and was brought in by Lydon as a replacement for Glen Matlock, who was deamed to be too clean, always washing his feet, and harping on about the Beatles ! Sid was in my opinion a bad replacement, just couldn't handle being in the Band, should have stayed just a fan. Interesting how Matlock returned to play bass on the Bollocks album, as Sid couldn't hold a note !

Saw them back in '96 at Finsbury Park, they were excellent, what a laugh, can't wait until Crystal Palace.

Old 18 June 2002, 11:55 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Trainspotter's corner: IIRC Matlock only played on "Anarchy" on the album (it was recorded in a session in Autumn '76), Steve Jones played all the rest of the bass guitar parts apart from "God Save the Queen", which has two bass tracks, one played by Sid and one by Steve Jones.

Sid's inability / being off his face most of the time was the reason. Sorry for being a pedantic git.

Edited to say: it's nice to think that Matlock's forgiven Steve Jones for the salty liver sandwich trick ;-)

[Edited by brickboy - 6/18/2002 11:57:36 AM]
Old 18 June 2002, 12:11 PM
Modrapheniac
Scooby Regular

Talking

brickboy-
Thanks for the input, but according to Lydon, Matlock came back as a session musician and recorded several bass tracks for inclusion on the Bollocks album. I agree that he recorded several in previous sessions, and these are included on the excellent New Pistols Box Set. Guess I'll have to ask him when I see him then !
Cheers,
Old 18 June 2002, 01:28 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

If you do see him, it'd be interesting to know. I remember reading an interview with Jones were he said that he did all the bass bits, apart from the twin-track part on "Queen". But who cares -- as long as it rocks?

Hope the gig's a good 'un.

Craig (still waiting for the much-talked about Generation X reunion)
Old 18 June 2002, 01:32 PM
Modrapheniac
Scooby Regular

Cool

brickboy - exactly ! Who really give a to$$ ?
Still sounds great after 25 years !!

There's a rumour goin' round that The Clash will support the Pistols at Crystal Palace, along with the Damned, Buzzcocks and a guest appearance of the Gallagher bothers !! Probably all bull$hit but you never know ................... !

Fave track - Holidays in the Sun .......... yours ????..........
Old 18 June 2002, 03:07 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mmmm ... there's a lot been talked about a Clash reunion, and they've always said they'd never do it ... but then again, Mick Jones sanctioned the Levi's advert AND put a BAD II song on the flip! (rant mode ON) Talk about "Turning rebellion into money" -- I don't mind them having a pay day after all these years, but I wish people would forget the "Clash are the only band that never sold out" stuff -- they were never all they were cracked up to be, a few good singles and that was it. The rest was all Bernie Rhodes doing secondhand Mclaren promo tactics. Saw 'em live twice too, they were dull both times, the Specials blew them off the stage ... there, I've said it. (rant mode OFF)

Also, the Banshees said they'd never reform, and apparently they are doing for some gigs this year. Don't know which line-up though, can't imagine it would be the "Scream / Join Hands" line up as it split VERY acrimoniously ...

Favourite Pistols song? Depends on what day it is, but it will be a choice between God Save the Queen, Satellite (good enough to be an A-side), No Feelings or Holidays.

Everyone used to take the **** out of Gen X, saw them in late '78 when they were touring the Valley of the Dolls lp. Terrible record, but they rocked live, completely blew me away (OK, I was 15 but even so). Now, a proper Stranglers reunion, with Hugh, would do it for me ;-)
Old 18 June 2002, 03:22 PM
Modrapheniac
Scooby Regular

Talking

The Clash, reasonable band I s'pose, saw them live like you a couple of times, have to say, they were extremely powerful live, even Strummer gave it his all, and wasn't giving out too much bull$hit. Surprisingly of all the bands I've seen live from that era, Adam and the Ants are top, this was during the Dirk years, before the poncy Kings era, also the Undertones were superb, with Fergal, saw them about 6 times on the same tour, but for pure noise and aggression, can't beat Crass and Discharge on the same bill !!
Old 18 June 2002, 04:41 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

You lucky dog! Saw Crass loads of times (usually with the Poison Girls supporting) but with Discharge .... wow! Never saw Discharge, would've loved to especially in the After the Gig / Fight Back days.

Yep, the Ants were great in the Dirk era, and I must admit the last time I saw 'em was just when they'd released the Kings of the Wild Frontier single, they were dead good then too.

Lords of the New Church were a fave of mine too ...