Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Going Vegan

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2019, 06:56 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Going Vegan

Not me. I eat everything. lol And tbh don't know why vegetarians have to tell everyone they are veggie. I'm as happy having a spinach ricotta as a fillet steak

The vegan diet I'm a bit confused on though and it seems to be in the news all the time at the moment. Listening to a recent radio 4 program though it sounds like you actually have to take supplements to deal with essential things you are missing out on in your diet

Is it a really bad route to take? Anyone on here vegan? I couldn't live without cheese.lol
Old 07 February 2019, 07:41 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 07 February 2019, 07:43 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If I had professional chef to do all my food I'd turn veggie tomorrow , vegan step too far
Old 07 February 2019, 08:55 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

My wife has been vegan for over 20 years, far easier over the last five years or so as more people are turning to the diet/lifestyle. Tesco Wicked range is a good example of main stream investment.

She does 99% of the cooking at home (all of which is vegan) and although I still eat chicken on occasion I'm certainly prospering from the diet.

Iron supplements are the ones you really cant do without.
Old 07 February 2019, 01:32 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Can’t you just cook using a rusty old karhai/kardai/karahi?...that was supposed to be the reason why curry take always had a higher iron content.

Last edited by ALi-B; 07 February 2019 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07 February 2019, 02:23 PM
scoobaholic
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I’ve been pretty much eating vegan for a few years now and can’t see myself going back to animal foods. My iron levels are good. Beans, lentils, spinach, etc are all good sources of iron. It’s B12 that will need supplementing.

I don’t really advertise it, on the contrary it almost seems more like other people are offended by my food choices, like that’s any of their business.

Anyways I can only recommend cutting back on animal foods and discovering some healthy plant-based recipes. It will make for a longer, healthier and happier life.
Old 07 February 2019, 04:25 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobaholic
I’ve been pretty much eating vegan for a few years now and can’t see myself going back to animal foods. My iron levels are good. Beans, lentils, spinach, etc are all good sources of iron. It’s B12 that will need supplementing.

I don’t really advertise it, on the contrary it almost seems more like other people are offended by my food choices, like that’s any of their business.

Anyways I can only recommend cutting back on animal foods and discovering some healthy plant-based recipes. It will make for a longer, healthier and happier life.
You are (obviously) right I just read the label on her supplements, B12 it is I'll be in trouble later for getting that wrong

People get offended because they feel guilty because they know deep down we should not be treating animals the way we do.
Old 07 February 2019, 04:29 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Can’t you just cook using a rusty old karhai/kardai/karahi?...that was supposed to be the reason why curry take always had a higher iron content.

Seaxe for me; Essex boy
Old 07 February 2019, 05:03 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

My younger sister is a vegan and she doesn't drink.
She cooks tasty vegan fare but rarely turns up for our family meals out unless we go to a vegan restaurant.
This is a shame and doubly so because the gifts I like to give the most are whole or speciality foods and craft booze.
Old 07 February 2019, 09:55 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SouthWalesSam
My younger sister is a vegan and she doesn't drink.
She cooks tasty vegan fare but rarely turns up for our family meals out unless we go to a vegan restaurant.
This is a shame and doubly so because the gifts I like to give the most are whole or speciality foods and craft booze.
more and more places do have vegan options, some are utter ****e though. It's better than salad and chips from back in the day though
Old 07 February 2019, 10:06 PM
scoobaholic
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Totally mate, I mean food and drink is not just fuel it’s also a cultural and social thing. I wouldn’t boycott a restaurant but just go for a vegan option if at all possible. I spent a fair bit of the christmas and new years time cooking with my mum for family and friends and it mainly went down very well, actually surprised myself several times with tasty stuff! But yeah there‘s definetely a gap to be bridged and hopefully it‘ll get easier with time.
At least your sis got her own head and can make her own decisions, I say that‘s a good thing.