ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Going Vegan (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1058004-going-vegan.html)

lozgti1 07 February 2019 06:56 AM

Going Vegan

Not me. I eat everything. lol And tbh don't know why vegetarians have to tell everyone they are veggie. I'm as happy having a spinach ricotta as a fillet steak

The vegan diet I'm a bit confused on though and it seems to be in the news all the time at the moment. Listening to a recent radio 4 program though it sounds like you actually have to take supplements to deal with essential things you are missing out on in your diet

Is it a really bad route to take? Anyone on here vegan? I couldn't live without cheese.lol

dpb 07 February 2019 07:41 AM

dpb 07 February 2019 07:43 AM

If I had professional chef to do all my food I'd turn veggie tomorrow , vegan step too far

trails 07 February 2019 08:55 AM

My wife has been vegan for over 20 years, far easier over the last five years or so as more people are turning to the diet/lifestyle. Tesco Wicked range is a good example of main stream investment.

She does 99% of the cooking at home (all of which is vegan) and although I still eat chicken on occasion I'm certainly prospering from the diet.

Iron supplements are the ones you really cant do without.

ALi-B 07 February 2019 01:32 PM

Can’t you just cook using a rusty old karhai/kardai/karahi?...that was supposed to be the reason why curry take always had a higher iron content. :lol1:

scoobaholic 07 February 2019 02:23 PM

I’ve been pretty much eating vegan for a few years now and can’t see myself going back to animal foods. My iron levels are good. Beans, lentils, spinach, etc are all good sources of iron. It’s B12 that will need supplementing.

I don’t really advertise it, on the contrary it almost seems more like other people are offended by my food choices, like that’s any of their business. :confused:

Anyways I can only recommend cutting back on animal foods and discovering some healthy plant-based recipes. It will make for a longer, healthier and happier life.

trails 07 February 2019 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by scoobaholic (Post 12044047)
I’ve been pretty much eating vegan for a few years now and can’t see myself going back to animal foods. My iron levels are good. Beans, lentils, spinach, etc are all good sources of iron. It’s B12 that will need supplementing.

I don’t really advertise it, on the contrary it almost seems more like other people are offended by my food choices, like that’s any of their business. :confused:

Anyways I can only recommend cutting back on animal foods and discovering some healthy plant-based recipes. It will make for a longer, healthier and happier life.

You are (obviously) right I just read the label on her supplements, B12 it is I'll be in trouble later for getting that wrong :D

People get offended because they feel guilty because they know deep down we should not be treating animals the way we do.

trails 07 February 2019 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 12044042)
Can’t you just cook using a rusty old karhai/kardai/karahi?...that was supposed to be the reason why curry take always had a higher iron content. :lol1:

Seaxe for me; Essex boy :thumb:

SouthWalesSam 07 February 2019 05:03 PM

My younger sister is a vegan and she doesn't drink.
She cooks tasty vegan fare but rarely turns up for our family meals out unless we go to a vegan restaurant.
This is a shame and doubly so because the gifts I like to give the most are whole or speciality foods and craft booze.

trails 07 February 2019 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by SouthWalesSam (Post 12044058)
My younger sister is a vegan and she doesn't drink.
She cooks tasty vegan fare but rarely turns up for our family meals out unless we go to a vegan restaurant.
This is a shame and doubly so because the gifts I like to give the most are whole or speciality foods and craft booze.

more and more places do have vegan options, some are utter ****e though. It's better than salad and chips from back in the day though :)

scoobaholic 07 February 2019 10:06 PM

Totally mate, I mean food and drink is not just fuel it’s also a cultural and social thing. I wouldn’t boycott a restaurant but just go for a vegan option if at all possible. I spent a fair bit of the christmas and new years time cooking with my mum for family and friends and it mainly went down very well, actually surprised myself several times with tasty stuff! But yeah there‘s definetely a gap to be bridged and hopefully it‘ll get easier with time.
At least your sis got her own head and can make her own decisions, I say that‘s a good thing.:thumb: