Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Does anyone else's jaw 'click'

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2002, 07:20 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Usually when eating,especially things like peanuts,the right side of my jaw 'clicks',sometimes quite severely.Obviously its something to do with the jaw bones,but i'm not sure why or what it is.Even just opening and closing my mouth now, i can feel something.
Is this common?........anyone else?

btw,if i open my mouth too wide my jaw dislocates,...this has only happened 7 or 8 times in the last 10 years though so its not too much of a problem.

Paul.
Old 16 June 2002, 07:37 PM
skiddusmarkus
Scooby Regular

I can make mine click by moving it side to side.If I do it too much though I get cramp.I can also click my nose and wind my girlfriend upDon't know why,just entertains me slightly
Old 16 June 2002, 07:41 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Wink

Paul bit of a weird question that one....but yes mine does that too on the left side. Very painful when it does happen & feels like I almost dislocate my jaw.
I think it happened when the wife chinned me, because she found me hiding my bank card as it was the end of the month (only married men will understand this one)
also me neck clicks constantly...I'm just falling to bits

shunty
Old 16 June 2002, 09:02 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Suspect you have a tempero-mandibular joint problem. It seems to be subluxing (dislocates) with hard food. You should see an oral surgeon via your own dentist. Be careful in meantime avoiding hard food until then. Good luck. All IMHO. David (courtesy Diana Lock BDS LDS (Eng).

PS. Avoid opening mouth wide.

[Edited by David Lock - 6/16/2002 9:05:56 PM]
Old 16 June 2002, 09:32 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

David (Diana)....thanks for the reply.
My jaw only dislocates if i open my mouth very wide,........over the last 10 years,a couple of times yawning,couple of times at the dentist,and a couple of times eating,......
I just wondered,......

a.If anyone else had this,
b.Will any permanent damage be done over time,.......i've had this over 10 years.

(of course for proper medical advice i should,and will,see my doctor/dentist)

Old 16 June 2002, 09:35 PM
GarnetFox
Scooby Regular

My jaw clicks on the left when i wiggle it side to side, but then, I'm just weird.
Old 16 June 2002, 09:42 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

mine always cracks lightly when i "wiggle" my jaw around, however sometimes it will do it as I am chewing... not single clicks, each time I open/close, this isn't much of a problem, but as I am only 20, I wonder what problems it might cause later on...

Andy
Old 16 June 2002, 09:56 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

My Mum's jaw does the same (as does my older Brother's) - doesn't seem to affect either of them - Unfortunately
Old 16 June 2002, 09:59 PM
NENO
Scooby Regular

paulr, just to let you know that you aren't alone, mine too clicks! It used to only happen when I yawned, never dislocated. I've noticed in the last year though that it now clicks when biting into a tough sandwich eg. ciabatta bread.

So Diana what would the surgeon do / suggest? Can't say I'd want to have it operated on unless I had too.
Old 16 June 2002, 10:14 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem. My wifes a dentist and she recomended I go and see a craniosacral therapist who is also a dentist. He did mad head massages and made me a splint. ive not had the problem since. Beware this is very expensive but I got cheap due to the wife being in the trade.

Hope this helps

Jer

The guy said if left untreated it can lead to back problems and stuff.

[Edited by Jer - 6/16/2002 10:19:02 PM]
Old 16 June 2002, 10:15 PM
The Crushinator
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Hmmm, mine does it too on the right side It doesn't dislocate or anything, it's just pretty wierd
Old 16 June 2002, 10:23 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

NENO......i guess thats the reason i've done nothing about it so far.What can anyone actually do?.The idea of surgery is not something i'd like.
As i said,apart from the dislocating,which i now know how to handle,its not really a big problem.

PS.....this all started when i was 16 and had a tooth out right at the back.During the extraction my mouth was opened so wide my jaw dislocated .Its only happened another 8 or so times since,and not in the last 5 years.
Old 16 June 2002, 10:28 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Jer.......thanks,when you say you had the same problem,do you mean the clicking or dislocating?.Also can you explain a bit about the splint.......ie what does it do etc..

Thanks
Paul.
Old 16 June 2002, 10:54 PM
Chelsie-Bun
Scooby Regular

Red face

I have had a clicking jaw for years, its really loud when i eat steak or tuff food.

It dont hurt me, just annoys others, i have seen on the tv, if it gets really bad then they can operate but the operation hurts..

chel xxx
Old 16 June 2002, 11:16 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Hi Paul, my adviser has gone to bed so I will show her this thread in the morning..... David
Old 16 June 2002, 11:21 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Ok...thanks mate
Old 17 June 2002, 12:41 AM
Revengeissweet
Scooby Newbie

Yeah i have a click when i eat hard bread and rolls and stuff.
got it when i lived abroad eating french bread .
Old 17 June 2002, 11:16 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Mine used to do it all the time - wiggling from side to side on the right of my jaw. Hasn't done it for ages now though - guess I've worn all the bone away
Old 17 June 2002, 12:30 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Hi Paul

One side of my jaw clicked and dislocated when I opened my mouth too far. If I had my mouth open for long periods such as at the dentist, my jaw would lock open and I would have to stick my thumbs in the back of my mouth and click it back in place (scary stuff when you can't shut your mouth). I went to this guy and he manipulated my skull with massage and made me a splint that I had to put in at night and use for a few months (this looked like a mouth guard). I think it was higher at one side and kept my bottom jaw inline with my head.

Hope this helps

Jer
Old 17 June 2002, 02:02 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Hi Jer........thanks.

Basically thats exactly what happens to me.Going to the dentist is definately the biggest problem,obviously my dentist is well aware of this,but it means i cant open my mouth too wide.
I notice you can reset your jaw yourself,i cant.It means a trip to the hospital,very inconvenient.

Anyway,thanks for the reply,maybe i should have a word with my dentist about this next time i go.

Paul.

Old 17 June 2002, 03:53 PM
Fullonloon
Scooby Regular

Everyones jaw can click if you wiggle it from side to side. If it didn't then that's the time to see the doctor... It's natural, nothing to worry about.
Old 17 June 2002, 06:01 PM
Jodster
Scooby Regular

Both sides click for me. not painful unless I keep doing it and then it aches. Been like it since I had my four wisdom teeth out in one go. Have a feeling they may have dislocated my jaw to get at them and done some damage.

While I'm whinging, I used to have a railtrack brace fitted to my top teeth when I was a kid and when it came off, it cracked the enamel on the front of my teeth so I now have a ridge.

Like the middle ages, some of these dentists/surgeons (I said some of).
Old 17 June 2002, 10:34 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

Red face

Funny, my girlfriend's just been moaning about my clicking jaw - happens when I chew gum!

I remember 16st of angry guitarist landing on my jaw after a dispute and since then it clicks out of joint on occasions.

Hasn't done it for a while but my girlfriend says it's really noticeable (i think i've got used to it and don't notice it anymore) and that I should really get it looked at.

DP.