Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any gas BBQ experts? Gas question/regulator

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2018, 11:07 AM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any gas BBQ experts? Gas question/regulator

Hi, purchased a gas BBQ the other week, It came with a propane regulator as standard. I already had a full butane bottle to hand, so just changed the regulator to suit the butane bottle, as I believe both gases are pretty much the same apart from propane having a lower freezing temp. The problem I have is that it just doesn't seem to be getting nowhere near hot enough - On full blast with the lid down it's barely managing 200 degrees, and it's certainly not hot enough to simply sear steaks etc. The obvious thing for me to do is to put the original propane regulator back on, and go and get a propane gas bottle and see if this resolves the problem BUT if it doesn't it's a waste of money, like I say I've already got a full butane one...

So my question is, should it make a difference to how the BBQ will preform by swapping over tanks? The only thing I can think is that a propane regulator will allow more gas to come through allowing the bbq to reach proper temps?

I've reset the regulator several times, as I know it can go in to 'limp mode' if it detects a problem, but it doesn't make any difference. BBQ has only been used twice up to now, and no blockages etc either in the venturi tubes...

I'm at a loss with it now, so any help would be much appreciated.
Old 15 August 2018, 11:22 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Are the jets on the cooker set up for propane only , something like that
Old 15 August 2018, 11:55 AM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

I Honestly don't know. I've trawled the internet for 2 weeks, but I just keep getting the same answer, butane and propane burn the same etc... I just don't want to go and buy a propane tank if it's not the issue. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet unless I can find someone who will lend me one so I can test it first..
Old 15 August 2018, 12:10 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

I'm not entirely clear what you did with the regulators.

Did you 1) adapt the new regulator to fit the old butane tank or 2) fit the old regulator to the new hose?

If you are using the old regulator, then it could be regulating to a lower pressure than the new one and therefore not delivering enough gas flow, I would only recommend using the regulator supplied with the grill whichever gas you use.

In theory butane should burn hotter than propane, so if you're using the new regulator, you shouldn't have a problem, if anything it could be too hot. Butane won't evaporate at lower temperatures though, but I'm guessing at this time of year, that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 15 August 2018, 12:42 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Hi BM, no I already had a full butane tank, and so purchased a butane regulator - It was cheaper to just buy a regulator for 8 quid than a new bottle of propane gas. So yes, basically I removed the propane regulator which the BBQ came with, and fitted the butane regulator to use with the butane bottle.
Old 15 August 2018, 01:08 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by classic Subaru Si
Hi BM, no I already had a full butane tank, and so purchased a butane regulator - It was cheaper to just buy a regulator for 8 quid than a new bottle of propane gas. So yes, basically I removed the propane regulator which the BBQ came with, and fitted the butane regulator to use with the butane bottle.
There is a chance that the new regulator you bought is a lower flow rate than the grill needs. If you got a big grill with many burners, then you would need a higher flow to supply the burners and heat the larger grill interior.

May be worth living with the lower temps until the bottle is empty, then replacing it with propane and the original regulator. Do some slow cooked pulled pork, you'll soon empty the bottle
Old 15 August 2018, 02:14 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Mate has an oven jetted for propane and used it on butane.
Result was a cool smoky flame.

Either get it rejetted or use it with the correct gas.
Old 15 August 2018, 02:15 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
There is a chance that the new regulator you bought is a lower flow rate than the grill needs. If you got a big grill with many burners, then you would need a higher flow to supply the burners and heat the larger grill interior.

May be worth living with the lower temps until the bottle is empty, then replacing it with propane and the original regulator. Do some slow cooked pulled pork, you'll soon empty the bottle
Yeah, you right - I'll persevere until the bottle empties or I can borrow one to test. Pulled pork sounds good, itching to try beer can chicken too
Old 15 August 2018, 02:55 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Barbecue with charcoal like a man, instead of barbecuing like a homosexual with gas
Old 15 August 2018, 03:57 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Barbecue with charcoal like a man, instead of barbecuing like a homosexual with gas
Haha, yeah I know - I can't be doing with the mess and waiting around though. To be fair, if you get a decent smoker to put under the lid and some lava rock you'd never know the difference.
Old 15 August 2018, 04:45 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Yeah, you right - I'll persevere until the bottle empties or I can borrow one to test. Pulled pork sounds good, itching to try beer can chicken too
Beer can chicken is awesome! Really moist with a great flavour. That'll also quickly use up your gas!

I not allowed to use a coal grill on my balcony, so gas is the only option to BBQ at home. Have a portable coal grill that I can take down the lake though. Actually, if you've got a decent gas grill with flavouriser bars and you can also add smoking wood, you can also get more or less the same flavour as coal or wood, but it's lot less hassle.
Old 16 August 2018, 08:46 AM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

What gas BBQ do you use? I almost went for a Webber, but couldn't justify the price at the time, especially as our summer sucks and would only get used a handful of times. Having said that, the build quality is on another level, so I guess you get what you pay for. The accessories are also really good. I might pull the trigger next year, or see if I can grab one in the sales over winter..
Old 16 August 2018, 09:35 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

What gas BBQ do you use? I almost went for a Webber, but couldn't justify the price at the time, especially as our summer sucks and would only get used a handful of times. Having said that, the build quality is on another level, so I guess you get what you pay for. The accessories are also really good. I might pull the trigger next year, or see if I can grab one in the sales over winter..
I have a Webber. Have had others before and nothing comes close in terms of quality. The amount of use depends on how accessible it is where you live. Mine is on a covered balcony, so I use it all year round. Love grilling on the balcony while its snowing outside (thats also the advantage of propane over butane, it still works when its freezing!) I also always keep a spare gas bottle, nothing worse than the gas running out in the middle of grilling and not having a replacement to hand!
Old 16 August 2018, 10:13 AM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Ours is at the caravan up near the Lake district, so pretty much rain most of the year with no shelter.... To be honest, I've got my heart set on one now, so I'll solider on with what I've got for now...
Old 16 August 2018, 10:23 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Just having my new charcoal BBQ delivered
Old 16 August 2018, 12:30 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've got a Weber Q3200. Had it a couple of years and it's the DBs. It still looks like new and it gets used all year round. Most parts of the BBQ are guaranteed for 5 years so no worries about it falling apart like the mild steel ones.

It wasn't cheap, coming in at £450, but occasionally you'll find one going for around £400 in the end of summer sales.

Edited to add - Down to £424 here - https://www.riversidegardencentre.co...ber-q3200.html

Last edited by coupe_20vt; 16 August 2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 16 August 2018, 01:09 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Wurzel

Just having my new charcoal BBQ delivered
Is that to supplement your new gas BBQ you were posting pictures of on Facebook the other week :P
Old 16 August 2018, 02:42 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Talking

Is that to supplement your new gas BBQ you were posting pictures of on Facebook the other week :P
Yeah it is for the purist whingers who keep saying you need a charcaol one, their is no substitute for charcoal, charcoal is king, gas is bad and doesn't taste the same! Rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb.

Last edited by Wurzel; 17 August 2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 16 August 2018, 02:58 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Yeah it is for the purist whigers who keep saying you need a charcaol one, their is no substitute for charcoal, charcoal is king, gas is bad and doesn't taste the same! Rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb.
Charcoal is for pussies, real men grill with wood!

Got one of these bad boys going in the garden at my new place
https://www.westontable.com/garden-o...-outdoor-grill

Will be keeping the gas grill though as you can't beat it for convenience!
Old 16 August 2018, 03:25 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Talking

Charcoal is for pussies, real men grill with wood!
No one is grilling my wood ;-)