Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

78 year old arrested for stabbing a burglar . .

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2018, 01:00 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default 78 year old arrested for stabbing a burglar . .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43639183

A 78-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a suspected burglar was stabbed to death.

The homeowner discovered two intruders in Further Green Road, Hither Green, south-east London, at about 00:45 BST.

One suspect, armed with a screwdriver, forced the man into his kitchen where a struggle ensued and he was stabbed, Scotland Yard said.

The 38-year-old was taken to hospital by paramedics but was pronounced dead at 03:40.

The pensioner, who suffered bruising to his arms, has been arrested on suspicion of murder.

He remains in custody at a south London police station.

Police said they were called to the property over reports of a burglary where they found a man with a stab wound to the upper body.

The dead man's next of kin have been informed and a post-mortem examination would take place "in due course", the Met added.

The second suspect remains at large.
Old 04 April 2018, 01:11 PM
Fishbowlhead
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Burglar probably fell onto his own screwdriver the idiot. Unless he had the strength of a 12 year old Thai girl and really was overpowered.
Old 04 April 2018, 01:47 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

It puts into perspective the idea that in your own home you can use as much force against intruders as is necessary to preserve your life. It's true until you actually do it, then you get arrested.
Old 04 April 2018, 02:01 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Paben
It puts into perspective the idea that in your own home you can use as much force against intruders as is necessary to preserve your life. It's true until you actually do it, then you get arrested.
Police don't have the power to determine who is innocent or guilty hence why they arrested him on suspicion of murder. The courts will determine the outcome, more than likely if only 1 stab wound it will be self defence.
Old 04 April 2018, 02:07 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

It would never be murder anyway, man slaughter 'at best'. I was told when somebody broke in to our house overnight, if you kill them upstairs, then you're unlikely to even make it to court, if you kill somebody downstairs, then you'll likely have your time in court, as the argument will be that you went downstairs, when you could have stayed up stairs.

In this case, hats off to the pensioner who has taken a scumbag off our streets, if indeed they had broken in and it was in self defence.
Old 04 April 2018, 02:47 PM
scoobypaul_temp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is Murder even being mentioned!?! Surely the default possible “should” be manslaughter? By defaulting to murder does that not err on the side that the old man did it on purpose?
Old 04 April 2018, 03:17 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe wasnt a burglary at all
Old 04 April 2018, 04:10 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

If it was self defence then he deserves a medal.
Old 04 April 2018, 04:15 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
Police don't have the power to determine who is innocent or guilty hence why they arrested him on suspicion of murder. The courts will determine the outcome, more than likely if only 1 stab wound it will be self defence.

I thought cops could ask CPS what charge, if any, would be appropriate.

This will all be dropped PDQ.

d
Old 04 April 2018, 05:37 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobypaul_temp
Why is Murder even being mentioned!?! Surely the default possible “should” be manslaughter? By defaulting to murder does that not err on the side that the old man did it on purpose?
An interesting subject - wish I'd studied law.

Assuming the headline facts are correct and two guys broke in to this old guys house. At some point he ended up in the kitchen with one or both of them, one was stabbed and died. Can you stab someone without the intent of killing them might be the question asked, hence the immediate murder charge, which will no doubt be downgraded, hopefully to no case to answer or whatever the legal term is. I hope he's a resilient old kipper and doesn't die from the stress and worry that is no doubt going to hang over him for the next six months or so.

If he needs crowdfunding to get the best defence, I'm in.
Old 04 April 2018, 06:14 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

It still needs to be investigated, which it will.

Once all the evidence is gathered (and if enough evidence is there), CPS will be consulted as to what charge (if any) will be laid on him.

At the end of the day, a person has died and this can not be simply 'brushed over' as 'he probably deserved it'.
Old 04 April 2018, 06:17 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paben
You can - and it also means you can use deadly force so long as you can justify it.

But if you do, it will have to be investigated as we can't just take your word for it. Otherwise you will end up with loads of dead bodies of folks who were allegedly 'burgling' at the time of their demise.
Old 04 April 2018, 06:42 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

He's been arrested on suspicion of GBH.

The police have to ascertain the facts and in the case of unexplained death, they often arrest first then release after. Similar for car accidents where people die.

Just around the corner from me and there's been a recent rise in burglaries in the area. Hopefully now there'll be less.
Old 04 April 2018, 06:58 PM
R666ORY+1
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Must say Felix is correct here (regardless of employer and people’s distaste). Sadly most people in the U.K. are fearful of defending themselves for fear of retribution (which is completely understandable). The whole downstairs/upstairs thing is ridiculous. Anyone own a cat? A dog? Are they noisy through the night. You are entitled to defend life or property as you see fit (your home being broken into is defence of your property). The key thing is your response being reasonable and proportionate. I’m sure Felix will correct me on exact wording. The CPS need cover their bases, the arresting force need cover their bases. The legal system and the police in the U.K. take a slating and I do understand why. All that said for justice to be served all the boxes need the ticked, if they are not ticked criminals use the system against the system. The guy being arrested is wholy right as the victim, so the (alleged) criminal can’t cry unfair/inproper/incorrect procedures were followed. For me an older gent saying “FU” is more understandable than a younger guy. Is an older gent meant to wrestle a younger guy to the ground, subdue him with one arm then call for the police? I’m guessing not. Likewise is the older gent meant to assume he has no right to defend himself and level the playing field? Just a question.
Old 04 April 2018, 07:08 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
He's been arrested on suspicion of GBH.

The police have to ascertain the facts and in the case of unexplained death, they often arrest first then release after. Similar for car accidents where people die.

Just around the corner from me and there's been a recent rise in burglaries in the area. Hopefully now there'll be less.
Originally the article said GBH, that changed to murder a few hours later,
Has it since changed again ?
Old 04 April 2018, 08:02 PM
scoobypaul_temp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^

Assuming the headline facts are correct and two guys broke in to this old guys house. At some point he ended up in the kitchen with one or both of them, one was stabbed and died. Can you stab someone without the intent of killing them might be the question asked, hence the immediate murder charge, which will no doubt be downgraded, hopefully to no case to answer or whatever the legal term is. I hope he's a resilient old kipper and doesn't die from the stress and worry that is no doubt going to hang over him for the next six months or so.

Understand what you are saying - and hope for the same outcome too
Old 05 April 2018, 12:31 AM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

If that 78 year old guy does time for this then I want to emigrate.

I am sick and tired of the BS Politically correct brigade leading this country down the toilet where on the one hand you can't do **** to these scumbags all the while they beat up old ladies, rape and pillage and get a there, there! and told not to do it again.

The guy was 78 years old FFS and the two scumbags in their 30's went in to his place all tooled up. What's he meant to do? shout "Hey you young ruffian scoundrel please don't hit me" and wait to see what the guy does whilst his mate comes back down to join in the beating?

Get this 78 year old chap on stage at the Britain's Got Talent final, so we can all give him a standing ovation!

Last edited by Fabioso; 05 April 2018 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05 April 2018, 12:38 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^

Save your money. If this is as described, and somehow goes to court (which it won't), then no jury is going to convict.
Old 05 April 2018, 08:17 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Save your money. If this is as described, and somehow goes to court (which it won't), then no jury is going to convict.
Depends if you get a jury of liberal snowflakes
Old 05 April 2018, 09:21 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fabioso
If that 78 year old guy does time for this then I want to emigrate.........
I agree, but it will still have to be investigated to determine the facts about how he died.
Old 05 April 2018, 09:38 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix.
I agree, but it will still have to be investigated to determine the facts about how he died.

Person entered property he had no right or entitlement to be there. Everything else that happened was at his own risk.

Another scumbag eradicated
Old 05 April 2018, 09:57 AM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have said for years the snowflake loony leftie's are to blame for all this.
for years now it's you can't smack kids, they just get told off for minor crimes.this teaches the child that crime pays and they move on to robbing old people etc, knowing all the long there aint enough places in nick to lock em up because the jails are full of kid fiddlers, next thing you know the kid is 30 and a proper criminal, if that old boy gets time there is something very very wrong with the justice system in the country,
Old 05 April 2018, 10:43 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

lol

All we need is nother Duterte to preside , and the country would be paradise on earth

right
Old 05 April 2018, 11:16 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
Person entered property he had no right or entitlement to be there. Everything else that happened was at his own risk.

Another scumbag eradicated
Absolutely - but it will still have to be investigated to show that this was the case. At the moment, we only have the home owner's (Mr & Mrs) accounts to say what happened.

What if (for example) other evidence totally conflicts to their accounts?
Old 05 April 2018, 11:45 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Felix.
Absolutely - but it will still have to be investigated to show that this was the case. At the moment, we only have the home owner's (Mr & Mrs) accounts to say what happened.

What if (for example) other evidence totally conflicts to their accounts?
There must be pretty strong evidence to back up the story, or the BBC wouldnt risk reporting it in the way they have, IMHO,
the dead one may have previous for the exact same thing, but I guess they cant report that for example.
Old 05 April 2018, 11:58 AM
Fishbowlhead
Scooby Regular

Bailed until early May pending further enquiries apparently.
Old 05 April 2018, 12:14 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madscoob
i have said for years the snowflake loony leftie's are to blame for all this.
for years now it's you can't smack kids, they just get told off for minor crimes.this teaches the child that crime pays and they move on to robbing old people etc, knowing all the long there aint enough places in nick to lock em up because the jails are full of kid fiddlers, next thing you know the kid is 30 and a proper criminal, if that old boy gets time there is something very very wrong with the justice system in the country,
It amazes me how easy it is to simplify everything down to stupid slogans, and daft hypothesis.

I blame the crazy hate filed right wingers for all of today issues. They clearly smacked their kids too hard and too often, making violence acceptable to them...

See anyone can play this silly game.
Old 05 April 2018, 01:00 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
It amazes me how easy it is to simplify everything down to stupid slogans, and daft hypothesis.

I blame the crazy hate filed right wingers for all of today issues. They clearly smacked their kids too hard and too often, making violence acceptable to them...

See anyone can play this silly game.
Well i think i know what sort of response you're going to get to that. You really can't reason with anyone who's default position is to blame the "snowflake loony lefties".

Old 05 April 2018, 03:30 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

at least the old boy has now been bailed, had to love the picture most papers used of him with a Guinness in each hand, I do hope he gets some advertisement work from this after its all over.
Old 05 April 2018, 04:14 PM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I would certainly treat the old boy to a pint of the black stuff.

Quick Reply: 78 year old arrested for stabbing a burglar . .