Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Local councils and recycling

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2018, 08:42 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Local councils and recycling

Last week, when almost everything shut down for a few days because of snow, our recycling bins weren't emptied.

Now ours is chok-full every fortnight, so I contact the council to ask will they accept a binliner full of plastic and card put out beside the bin next week.

I'm told, no, the wagons don't have the capacity for extra.

So...what? I put it in my green bin, which will normally lead to me having emptying refused, or a fine? Yet now it's OK?

Time these ***** came clean. They are are serious about recyling, or they aren't, you can't have it both ways. And it's also about time they came clean about the money they are making from the recycled stuff, rather than treating us like idiots who think they are doing us a favour taking it away.

The local tip in France, where I have to sort and take my own glass, card, paper, plastics and metals, has an electric fence round it rated at 15000V, and alarms to the local cop-shop, plus to both blokes who are guardians.

So it IS worth money....
Old 09 March 2018, 09:18 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

cardboard was £80 a tonne back along, nice earner. charge customer for bin charge customer to collect/empty bin then get £80 on top for the collected product win win win situation
Old 09 March 2018, 10:18 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They do their best. DL
Old 09 March 2018, 10:29 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Im afraid they don't do enough for my £250 a month.
Thieving *******s.
Had to drag my bin 100 yrds the other day because they wouldn't come up the drive to our houses.
Filth...!
Old 10 March 2018, 12:10 AM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I just dump mine in a quiet country lane, keeps people in jobs.
Old 10 March 2018, 01:57 AM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

LOL...very tempting I must admit.

I usually end up taking a bin bag of bottles ,cans etc and a bag of cardboard stuff to the tip every week as they wont fit in the bin and its every other week collections.
Im not surprised fly tipping is on the increase.
Old 10 March 2018, 09:58 AM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by njkmrs
LOL...very tempting I must admit.

I usually end up taking a bin bag of bottles ,cans etc and a bag of cardboard stuff to the tip every week as they wont fit in the bin and its every other week collections.
Im not surprised fly tipping is on the increase.
Same........we call it a "trip to the skip", and then theirs B&Q next door

live life to the full i say....
Old 11 March 2018, 12:07 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Ours banned any vans arriving at the local dump with trade markings.
Within weeks the amount of fly-tipping had doubled.

Local councillors: thick and greedy.
Old 11 March 2018, 05:33 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

my local council couldnt give a monkeys about recycling, i returned home one day to find my recycling bin still full (both the plastic/glass and cardboard compartments were full).

i rang the council and asked why,she looked at the notes and said it was because there was a plastic bag in there, i went and looked and it was the bag from a loaf of bread which i thought was fine to be in there but its classed as a carry-bag for some strange reason. i asked if they could come and collect it if i removed the 'carry bag' and she said no i would have to wait 2 weeks until the next collection.

i then asked what i was meant to do with the next 2 weeks worth of recycling and she told me to send it to land-fill. so now i dont bother recycling anything-i send it all to land-fill......if thats there attitude then ****-em.
Old 11 March 2018, 06:07 PM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
my local council couldnt give a monkeys about recycling, i returned home one day to find my recycling bin still full (both the plastic/glass and cardboard compartments were full).

i rang the council and asked why,she looked at the notes and said it was because there was a plastic bag in there, i went and looked and it was the bag from a loaf of bread which i thought was fine to be in there but its classed as a carry-bag for some strange reason. i asked if they could come and collect it if i removed the 'carry bag' and she said no i would have to wait 2 weeks until the next collection.

i then asked what i was meant to do with the next 2 weeks worth of recycling and she told me to send it to land-fill. so now i dont bother recycling anything-i send it all to land-fill......if thats there attitude then ****-em.
How hard can it be to take the "carry bag"out, then recycle bins contents.

This will make you chuckle, Collected all cardboard at work "school" we get loads, it fills the bins to overflowing as nobody bothers to flatten it.

Filled car to the brim over the week,flattening it all, taking out any plastic.
Take it all to the tip,only to find the "cardboard" skip has been taken away and not yet re-placed, so told to put it all in land-fiil skip. liike you i give up.
Old 11 March 2018, 06:47 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I'm afraid I'm going to be like shreksta now. If they cannot be bothered, nor can I.
Old 11 March 2018, 07:10 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Originally Posted by alcazar
Ours banned any vans arriving at the local dump with trade markings.
Within weeks the amount of fly-tipping had doubled.

Local councillors: thick and greedy.
Do you mean recently? They have been banned around Croydon for as long as I can remember.

I think they should let vans in but charge them as it is commercial not domestic & likely more stuff & more frequent than your average household.
Old 11 March 2018, 10:28 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're not banned in NI, but they have to pay to get rid of stuff
Old 11 March 2018, 10:50 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Weve recently been allocated ginormous recylcing bin sticks out like sore thumb on patio garden. I guess they go thorough whole thing once its been taken away full , but id rather they take bin away - but im guessing were lumped with , and now girlfriends put stuff in it

- i always go up recyling plant anyway - togehter with works waste once a week
Old 11 March 2018, 10:56 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

We have up to now had to collect stuff in smaller different bins And make sure its on the pavement for them to take away ,Which seemed to be at random times and mostly they just didnt bother with this street even after id spoken to them on their trip round with milkfloat recyling vehicle . You cant leave beer cans on the pavement here when its windy cos theyll end up 3 streets away by time of pick - and of course not allowed /too idle to enter through garden gate
Old 12 March 2018, 10:57 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
They're not banned in NI, but they have to pay to get rid of stuff
Why IS that? They make money from what they recycle, except that for landfill.

OUR thicko council charges us £5 per bucket full of earth/rubble, same price per small trailer load, 310 per large trailer load.

yet, just down the road, the stuff is being used to fill an old iron-stone working back up to level for use as a brown field site?

Crazy.

Any small amounts of rubble I have now go in general waste.
Old 12 March 2018, 02:02 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

i was symnpathetic to them for the weather till they decided they just wernt gonna bother with picking up the rubbish and just cancelled the collection so we now have nearly month old rubbish lying around.

Any other business would give you a refund for not full filling a service but the council is a law until itself.
Old 12 March 2018, 02:35 PM
Fishbowlhead
Scooby Regular

It's like most councils still think it's the 1700's sometimes and the great steam engine invention is just round the corner.

Well deal with your request when our head of department is back from northern Tibet, in roughly 5-10 years give or take.

Last edited by Fishbowlhead; 12 March 2018 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12 March 2018, 02:44 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Our waste and recycling service is excellent. Gave the lads a little bonus at Christmas and happy that part of my council tax goes toward a greener future.
Old 12 March 2018, 03:45 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a 240 litre wheelie bin for paper, 240 litre wheelie bin for glass, 240 litre wheelie bin for recycling and a 60 litre wheelie bin for anything that is not glass, paper or recyclable and they are all collected free of charge except for the non recyclable bin which is about €3 a time to empty.

The paper and glass alternate monthly so one month it is glass and the next paper, the recyclable bin is collected every 2 months I think and the rubbish every 2 weeks I think not sure as I am never home when it is collected. It is also so easy and effortless. I also get a calendar every january of when each will be collected.
Old 13 March 2018, 09:51 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Why IS that? They make money from what they recycle, except that for landfill.

OUR thicko council charges us £5 per bucket full of earth/rubble, same price per small trailer load, 310 per large trailer load.

yet, just down the road, the stuff is being used to fill an old iron-stone working back up to level for use as a brown field site?

Crazy.

Any small amounts of rubble I have now go in general waste.
I'm not sure, they charge all commercial people to dump stuff.
I guess its just to get more money, going on the assumption the commercial people have charged a customer to remove stuff, so the council then charge them another fee.

Its gone mad, I now have 5 bins at home.
A caddy for food waste.
A plastic box for bottles.
Green wheelie bin for garden stuff & food waste.
Blue wheelie bin for recyclable stuff like cans/paper/plastics
Black wheelie bin for everything else.
Old 13 March 2018, 10:05 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I believe you can turn up twice a month or is it a week our dump ,with commercial waste here
Old 13 March 2018, 12:11 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Over in France, I had to buy my own wheelie bin (or other).

I also had to provide containers to hold cardboard/cartons, plastic, metal, glass and paper.
These last few have to be taken and emptied at the local dump whenever they need doing. The dump only opens for around 4 hours five afternoons a week, so any large items need to go then, and queuing is the name of the game. Sometimes, when it's your turn on the ramp, they haven't emptied the skip you need and you have to leave with your refuse.

My general waste bin is emptied weekly, but rarely contains much as I have a composter in te garden for peelings etc and the neighbour's chickens eat everything else I give them.

And for this service I pay an extra €160 a year on top of my council tax, yet last year my bin was only emptied under twenty times, when I am there.

But do I get a reduction? Nope.........