Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Homeless SAS veteran ignored by council

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2018, 08:42 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Homeless SAS veteran ignored by council

Hereford Council is keeping its head down following the exposure by GMTV’s Piers Morgan that it has ignored the plight of homeless SAS veteran Bob Curry. It’s caused an outcry on social media and hopefully will bring to light the predicament of many other ex-servicemen consigned to the scrapheap by the country they’ve served. It's a national disgrace.
Old 23 January 2018, 12:17 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Maybe if they got somebody to front the story who wasn't a disgrace in their own right, it might gain more traction and assist in getting the issue addressed.
Old 23 January 2018, 01:40 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^
Maybe if they got somebody to front the story who wasn't a disgrace in their own right, it might gain more traction and assist in getting the issue addressed.
Yes someone less obnoxious would be a better champion of this cause.

His unforgivable faking of servicemen abusing POW should disqualify him from ever commenting on the forces, or the plight of former servicemen
Old 23 January 2018, 01:42 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

im sure there is a bit more to the story than just an ex-SAS man being homeless. How did he become homeless etc, there are charities, RBL, etc who all deal with this type of stuff.

In the councils eyes he is no different to anyone else who is homeless

i completely understand yep he fought for our country etc - yep he did and pretty sure he did with valour & honour but he also got paid for doing it

so ex-SAS man is homeless, where do you draw the line with other members of the armed forces who are homeless on the streets?
Old 23 January 2018, 04:39 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gambit
im sure there is a bit more to the story than just an ex-SAS man being homeless. How did he become homeless etc, there are charities, RBL, etc who all deal with this type of stuff.

In the councils eyes he is no different to anyone else who is homeless

i completely understand yep he fought for our country etc - yep he did and pretty sure he did with valour & honour but he also got paid for doing it

so ex-SAS man is homeless, where do you draw the line with other members of the armed forces who are homeless on the streets?
there shouldn't be a line full stop, ever seen a homeless ex councillor. i have a personal friend (ex services) who would be homeless if it wasn't for his mum being in a warden flat, there is probably more to it than meets the eye, ptsd divorce drink etc springs to mind as is the case with my mate (ptsd)

Last edited by madscoob; 23 January 2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old 23 January 2018, 05:26 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

I’m a bit torn by this one. On the one hand, yes, he should be looked after. Anyone who has served in the SF deserves to be sorted out for the rest of their life. However, you do have to ask where his pension is going every month. Think it said he’d done 17 odd years in total, which means, dependant on rank, plus I’m not sure if SF guys get a different pension, he’s going to be taking home at least £800 a month, then there’s any other pensions that he has. Where is this money going? If you have been SF, you are pretty much guaranteed a seriously good job when you leave if you want it. I’ve seen plenty of jobs for ex SF guys for hundreds of pounds a day doing private security, lecturing / instructing etc etc.

Last edited by Peedee; 23 January 2018 at 05:28 PM.
Old 23 January 2018, 05:34 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peedee
I’m a bit torn by this one. On the one hand, yes, he should be looked after. Anyone who has served in the SF deserves to be sorted out for the rest of their life. However, you do have to ask where his pension is going every month. Think it said he’d done 17 odd years in total, which means, dependant on rank, plus I’m not sure if SF guys get a different pension, he’s going to be taking home at least £800 a month, then there’s any other pensions that he has. Where is this money going? If you have been SF, you are pretty much guaranteed a seriously good job when you leave if you want it. I’ve seen plenty of jobs for ex SF guys for hundreds of pounds a day doing private security, lecturing / instructing etc etc.
good point about his pension, but i think you still have to be 55 before you can claim it and even then i wonder how much the ex wife would get as maintainance payments £90 a kid per week roughly isn't it at the moment

Trending Topics

Old 23 January 2018, 05:44 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madscoob
good point about his pension, but i think you still have to be 55 before you can claim it and even then i wonder how much the ex wife would get as maintainance payments £90 a kid per week roughly isn't it at the moment
He’s 64 so well in the zone to receive it. I can’t find anything to say whether or not he has kids, ex wife etc.
Old 24 January 2018, 01:39 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Someone should contact the local press and then take the guy to the local MP's constituency office. MP should have enough clout to sort this out.

But something doesn't seem right as there are charities that deal with this?

dl
Old 02 February 2018, 03:44 AM
velohead66
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems that he has now been given a home.......

"Now, after 400,000 people signed a Sun-backed petition urging Herefordshire council to find him a permanent home, he has accepted a bungalow"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/540386...home-petition/
Old 02 February 2018, 05:28 AM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

In other news ...
Old 02 February 2018, 10:16 AM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

what needs to happen now is for some rich person to buy his medals he had to sell to make ends meet back for him,
Old 02 February 2018, 10:17 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paben
Hereford Council is keeping its head down following the exposure by GMTV’s Piers Morgan that it has ignored the plight of homeless SAS veteran Bob Curry. It’s caused an outcry on social media and hopefully will bring to light the predicament of many other ex-servicemen consigned to the scrapheap by the country they’ve served. It's a national disgrace.

And yet when an asylum seeker lands in Britain, he gets given a house and Benefits, that add up to more than what a UK tax payer could every claim should they fall on hard times. Yet one has contributed to the tax system, and the other hasn't. Sometimes I really do hate this country.