Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

SPEEDING

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2002, 05:13 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a question.

Do people think buying a radar detector actually helps or does it encourage you to speed more?

I've seen many posts about points on licences etc etc, but the thought came to mind do some people get lulled into a false sense of security by these devices ie encouraged to go a little bit faster than they would without. If they are really useful can anyone suggest one for me, it scary how short a time it is before i'm up to 70mph. Which have you got and why??

look forward to your thoughts

hawkeye

[Edited by hawkeye - 6/14/2002 5:15:33 PM]
Old 14 June 2002, 05:17 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Personally, I think it made me more aware of my speed, and has slowed me down. Sadly, too late to prevent my 3 points.

I seem to recall recent stats that showed drivers with radar detectors have 24% fewer accidents.

Josh
Old 14 June 2002, 05:24 PM
Bexlee
Scooby Regular

I recall a survey (Auto Express, I think) that showed speed detector users tended to have more points on their licence. I suppose getting the points prompted the purchase.
Old 14 June 2002, 05:30 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Just bought an Origin Blue i, on the group buy, arranged by Makula.

Although I've only gone from York to Hull and back so far, I did not drive any faster than mormal.

The only area's I knew camera's to be operating, it notified me of, couldn't see them though, described as "Hidey Hole" cameras on the display!

I bought it because I wanted to be warned of the location of the new breed of speed camera, which to me if caught, would not feel like a fare cop.

Fair enough if you are followed by a marked car and pulled over, or caught by a handheld radar, but the thought of receiving a letter in the post, 2 weeks after the "offence" from some impossible to see new system, would make me well P****d off.

And as for them being sited at accident blackspots, bullsh*t!!!!

Dan
Old 14 June 2002, 07:59 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

The best speed trap detector I ever had was my ex missus. Whenever I went over 50 mph she would yell obscenities in my left earhole.....blutes
Old 15 June 2002, 08:58 AM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

lol @ bluto22b - me thinks you is a bit of a joker, init

I have to agree that they make you more aware of your speed, but if your like me you don't really need it for town, local streets as it's mostly 30-40, so you would have to be a **** to stray from these limits anyway.
where they do provide use is unfamiliar roads & the faster dual carriageways, where the limit is 50mph, but it's safe to do 80!!
I have not had any points since having my devices fitted.
Most good safe drivers only speed in the dry & when the road conditions allow you to do so anyway IMHO.
I once got a 6 month ban for doing 104 on the A66, hence the purchase of the devices, that was over 3 years ago.

shunty
Old 15 June 2002, 07:21 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I actually drove slower when I had the detector in the car, the warning it gives is enough to slow down from 20-30 above the limit (60/70 limit) (this is worst case scenario, ie camera behind signpost which blocks most of the signal) so I found that when I had the detector in the car I drove at a speed where by if it went off I would be able to get back under the limit before the camera. Previously I had a nasty tendancy to travel a bit quicker than this.
Must admit that I bought the detector a few years back when I was young and drove a fair bit quicker than I do now.

Edited to add I've got a Bel whose detectors come out top in most tests.

[Edited by Robertio - 6/15/2002 7:23:01 PM]
Old 18 June 2002, 01:03 AM
kwiky
Scooby Regular

Cameras are there to warm of accident black spots it has been very useful to have prior warming of these black spots and has i am sure helped me to avoid accidents at said black spots

above comment when said in court stopped me getting any points or fine
the judge agreed and said it might be an idea to post signs warning of the damger rather than speed cameras
*** me i smiled when i walked out of court scott free