Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Views on Origin Blue-i Please

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2002, 04:57 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tempted to buy one in the current groupbuy but want to hear peoples opinions on them (good or bad) before I lay down the cash as I know next to nothing about them.

If Im buying one device should this be the one to get or would I be better off with a Bel 550 or similar?

Thanks,
Simon.
Old 14 June 2002, 05:48 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

I Bought one so the news of the group buy is bugging but I'll get over it. The unit is good it seems good quality and does everything it say's it will. The only down side for me is that it doesn't have any mobile sites in the database, we all know the police use the same places time after time so why not ?

It comes with an external modem which in my opinion could have been an option with some PC software to cut the cost, if you had a PC.

The warning is good with the female voice but just not loud enough inside a Subaru with SS back box, so I have left it with just the beeps.

Overall:
Old 14 June 2002, 07:08 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Where have you fixed yours?

I bought mine on the group buy, arrived today, but not sure where I should attach it to.

Thought about the top of the dash, to either the left or right of the instrument binnacle? Also where have you located the aerial and have you hardwired the power, or using the supplied lighter socket lead?

Cheers,
Dan
Old 15 June 2002, 06:46 AM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

I've got the unit on top of the dash box with the wire's running down close to the driver. The power supply is just the ciggy lighter for now but I'm going to hard wire it soon. The GPS antenna is onto the back parcel shelf The back seats will have to come out to wire it up so it's neat (solid rear bulkhead no folding seats )

Hope that helps.
Old 15 June 2002, 10:01 AM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that, was just about to go out and fit it and logged on to see if you had responded.

Cheers - COME ON ENGLAND.
Dan
Old 15 June 2002, 03:51 PM
jason77
Scooby Regular

Talking

3-0 yeeha!!!! c'mawn
Old 15 June 2002, 09:05 PM
tezza
Scooby Regular

P1Fanatic
Blue i is good but too quiet for most performance cars. you need to mount it as near to your line of vision to see lights, then it's fine.
Also it is a bit bulky for my use, as i was going to put it in a caterham so may leave it in 206 or sell it later.(i know! should have researched more first)
Gutted about group buy and the fact that "****y link" took an age to deliver it (delivered it back to the suppler!!)
When i got it a new system called "Road Angel" came out which seems to have a few nice features. Like being able to enter new camera sites like the blue i, but the difference is that they become active straight away as they are in the device's memory until you delete them. Blue i has to be uploaded then checked by staff before it goes onto their data base then you have to connect again to receive new data.(how long does that take?)
Other good thing is an ear piece which will help with loud engine noise.
Maybe worth checking this one out before going for Blue i
terry
Old 15 June 2002, 10:09 PM
PeterPerfect
Scooby Regular

Question

Nobody else got a blue i then ?
Old 16 June 2002, 07:47 PM
scooby99
Scooby Newbie

I been using a Bluei for a couple of months now.

I have to say that it is the best piece of kit of kit I have bought

Old 17 June 2002, 10:24 AM
Steve 555
Scooby Regular

Cool

Agree with Scooby99. Had mine a few months and have not found one Gatso that was not on the database. ** Gutted **

Bluei-i has a few TM features which are excellent. I am still certain I made the right choice.

Mine has been hardwired and is mounted in the 'well' in front of the ashtray in the centre consul (STi7). The antenna is also hardwired and sits UNDER the dash where the 'clock' pod is on the top of the dash.

Really neat job

Agree about the voice though. Bunch of ****. Just have is on buzzer

Hope this helps

Steve
Old 17 June 2002, 01:49 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

I have a Blue i which i have had for about 4 months and like all things it has its good and bad points.

Good
They answer the phone when you call!
They are very friendly on the phone.
The unit has a very usefull display which tells you lots of information like speed trap type and distance.
The Data base is pretty good when i got it there were some missing but these are now on it. It appears to take 3-5 days for information to be verifyed and added.

Bad
The unit has to be updated frequently to be of use in area's where the Camera population is rapidly expanding.
The system of updates can not keep up with rapidly changing camera lay outs in road works.
i am now on my 4th returned unit either repaired or replaced.
Does not deal with mobile speed traps.
You have to pay another £50 after 6 Months and then every 12 months
The unit frequently loses the sat lock for a minute or two which means you are not protected for that time.
The units some times get slightly lost and the distance count down is up to 100 metres out then the next day it is spot on!
If Origin go bust you get no more updates.
The unit is to quiet.

As to a one or other between Blue i etc well i have both and to be honest it depends where you live as to which is most suitable. you have to find out what type of speed traps the local police use e.g. is it mostly fixed site traps which suit the Origin or is it mobile camera traps with radar which suit the Bel or is it Laser gun for which the only answer is a Jammer which could be illegal. If you drive the same route all the time then the Origin is point less as you will know the fixed camera sites before they do. If you go on trips to strange parts of the country then both is a good idea. There was a group buy on scooby net at Xmas i am surprised that they have not posted as they have had the units for 6 months or have they got rid of them?

At the end of the day when it works i am very pleased with the Origin and it makes a good partner for the Bel but because i don't mind all the false alarms with the Bel i would buy that first and then add a GPS system second. But where i drive the speed traps used are mainly radar like Gatso or mobile radar traps.

Old 17 June 2002, 02:08 PM
SeanG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I agree with most of Adrian's points. I bought mine in the xmas group buy and initially when it was delivered it was faulty and had to go back for a software upgrade. Then a couple of months later my unit could not find any satellites and it was replaced by Origin. Both times I have returned the unit to them I have got a unit returned pretty quickly. I have had the replacement unit for a few months now and it has not let me down. It finds all the fixed sites and roadworks cameras with none missed so far. I have set mine to filter for speed and direction and also I use the motorway feature at you can get false alarms from roads near to the motorway. It is very good on the M25 between the M3/M4 as it knows which gantries are false. I only tend to use it for long journeys on unfamiliar or infrequently used roads.
Old 18 June 2002, 12:46 AM
PeterPerfect
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks for the info guys