Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Lease car return damage

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2017, 04:50 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lease car return damage

I'm soon to return by first private lease car (and getting a BRZ ) - it's a Passat Alltrack and it is spotless apart from the plastic trim around one of the rear wheels that has a deepish score across if (caught a tall wall). Part cost from the garage is £130 but it's not an obvious clip on/off job - so probably will end up be a £200 bill.

Has anyone got experience of charges when a lease return has damage that is seen as outside of normal wear and tear? Do they charge the going garage repair for costs or an approximate amount?

Many thanks (glad to be getting back into a Subaru).
Old 29 November 2017, 07:29 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I had a lease vehicle over 10 years ago and a damaged panel then was £270+vat so I imagine at least £400 a panel now and since the trim is on the panel.
Be careful of car park dings as I got caught for one in my door and the damage is a set price per panel.
Old 29 November 2017, 07:37 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Depends on the lease company and who is doing the inspection.

I just returned my first lease car and was expecting a bill for the front splitter being scraped and paint missing after catching it turning on a steep driveway They didn't charge me for it which really surprised me. The rest of the car was spotless other than a couple of stone chips on the bonnet. That was inspected by BCA as that's where ALD send their lease cars straight from the customer.
Old 29 November 2017, 10:38 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys - sound's like a bit of a lottery then. I'll check again with a local garage to see what the fitted cost would be - plus will find out who is doing the inspection and see if i can get some sort of guidance from them too (from photos).
Old 30 November 2017, 07:31 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If they have to repair it, you'll be charged for a load of admin, transport and other **** ..the bill will be much, much higher.
Old 30 November 2017, 07:56 AM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
If they have to repair it, you'll be charged for a load of admin, transport and other **** ..the bill will be much, much higher.
Makes sense. Off to the garage I go.
Old 12 December 2017, 03:29 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

As with Anonymous above BCA did my return inspection at the end of my 2 year contract. Their estimate for some scuffed paint came to £25 which the inspector waved saying there was no need as the rest of the car was virtually as new.

Also, if you lease from VAG finance they give you a pretty comprehensive Fair Wear & Tear booklet with examples to give you an idea of what's allowable. And BCA seem to have a pretty reasonable attitude about what they expect.
Old 12 December 2017, 03:54 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SouthWalesSam
As with Anonymous above BCA did my return inspection at the end of my 2 year contract. Their estimate for some scuffed paint came to £25 which the inspector waved saying there was no need as the rest of the car was virtually as new.

Also, if you lease from VAG finance they give you a pretty comprehensive Fair Wear & Tear booklet with examples to give you an idea of what's allowable. And BCA seem to have a pretty reasonable attitude about what they expect.
Thanks - they came to inspect my wifes car which was due to go back as well and I asked them to look at the damage on my car. They estimated I would be charged around £30-£40 for it - as opposed to £200 from the dealer to replace. He also said, as an example, that even for alloy wheels that are 50% damaged, they only charge £26 per wheel - a lot cheaper than having them refurbished beforehand.
Old 02 January 2018, 11:13 AM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Just to close this thread - had the inspection today and they are charging £27 for the replacement wheel arch/trim (compared to the £200 I was quoted by a garage).
Old 02 January 2018, 11:54 AM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Great result.