Default Vehicle theft - signal relaying

Merc theft via signal relaying.

Old 26 November 2017, 06:08 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
Old news. Been on mainstream news too.

Cant beat an old fashioned key and a thatcham rated steering lock.
Old 26 November 2017, 06:30 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, that's how my car was nicked. At least Mercedes allows you to switch off the keyless operation of their keys, I don't think any others have that facility.
Old 26 November 2017, 07:58 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I parked in a dodgy area I would just swap a couple of plug leads around. Can you do that with modern cars? Or remove was it rotor arm although that was a bit of a pain.

dl
Old 26 November 2017, 11:12 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Its is a concern alright, and the manufacturers seem to be ignoring the thefts
Old 27 November 2017, 12:24 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heard more about on the radio this morning. Made me think what a useless video

All it had to say was don't leave your keys near the front of the house. I guess you could be in trouble if you kept your keys in your pocket in a pub?

d
Old 27 November 2017, 12:27 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Of course they are.
it would cost THEM money to make their cars safe, whereas it costs US money via insurance to leave them as they are.

And the safest car in the world can still be nicked by home invasion.

Sadly, car theft seems to come low down on police priorities
Old 27 November 2017, 10:35 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Faraday pouch. Problem solved.
Old 27 November 2017, 10:43 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Yeah, tin foil will have the same outcome(and probably cheaper). However, it shouldn't really be a problem in the first place
Old 28 November 2017, 10:21 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

If the relay fails and they want the car they will come in your house and get the keys. In that choice let the relay work as I don't want those ******* in my house.

One of my cars they don't even need the relay being a Ford a little plug in box just lets them drive off in it If I block it in and they want it they will come and get the keys for the one blocking it, you can't win.
Old 01 December 2017, 04:36 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

You could stick it in your garage
Old 01 December 2017, 07:59 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
If the relay fails and they want the car they will come in your house and get the keys. In that choice let the relay work as I don't want those ******* in my house.

One of my cars they don't even need the relay being a Ford a little plug in box just lets them drive off in it If I block it in and they want it they will come and get the keys for the one blocking it, you can't win.

Is that actually true though? If they can relay and take the car off your drive in under a minute that's one thing ie they are very unlikely to get caught.

If they had to smash into your house, set off a burglar alarm, locate two sets of car keys, move a blocking car off your drive and then drive off in the targeted car surely that would make them think twice?

I understand that it doesn't stop them but wouldn't it decrease the chances of you being targeted?
Old 01 December 2017, 08:30 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

To nick a car silently without witness takes zero *****. Most, if disturbed will run.

To break into a occupied house, hold the occupants hostage to nick the keys takes a much higher level of nutter.

Best answer: Garage. If they don't know the car is there they are much less likely to target you. It amazes me how there are so many people with high value cars, but no garage to put them in and just as many that do have a garage but don't use it!

Yeah yeah, they could follow you home, but the odds of that are far more limited.
Old 02 December 2017, 12:47 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Is that actually true though? If they can relay and take the car off your drive in under a minute that's one thing ie they are very unlikely to get caught.

If they had to smash into your house, set off a burglar alarm, locate two sets of car keys, move a blocking car off your drive and then drive off in the targeted car surely that would make them think twice?

I understand that it doesn't stop them but wouldn't it decrease the chances of you being targeted?
I worked with someone who had his Evo nicked off his drive. Him and his Mrs were asleep upstairs, the car thieves broke in his house found the keys downstairs and took all the laptops and gadgets whilst there to boot and he knew nothing about it until he woke up in the morning. They must have rolled it off his drive and down the road before starting it so as to not wake him up. It **** him and his Mrs right up, as it would anyone.

He was just grateful the keys were left downstairs as you don't need that type stood over you in bed with a knife to your throat demanding the keys.

If they will do that for an Evo think what lengths they will go to for high value cars. Mine isn't high value or fast but it's a hot hatch and can be nicked with a box that plugs in to the port under the dash which is why they are being targeted. I used to block my VXR in but they are hard to nick so it wasn't going anywhere but the Ford by all accounts is a doddle to take. There's apparently a car theft spree going on locally at the moment so i'm going to have to start blocking it in with my Pathfinder and rely on my dogs putting off entry to the house/waking me up as soon as anyone is near the house.

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 02 December 2017 at 01:10 AM.
Old 02 December 2017, 12:54 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
To nick a car silently without witness takes zero *****. Most, if disturbed will run.

To break into a occupied house, hold the occupants hostage to nick the keys takes a much higher level of nutter.

Best answer: Garage. If they don't know the car is there they are much less likely to target you. It amazes me how there are so many people with high value cars, but no garage to put them in and just as many that do have a garage but don't use it!

Yeah yeah, they could follow you home, but the odds of that are far more limited.
A mate of mine has an R8 and he does his best to keep it out of sight. He has the garage alarmed, has a high security roller door and has recently put in CCTV all around his house after he was told thieves will now go in through a tiled garage roof to get inside as it's easy enough to remove tiles and climb down and open the roller door from the inside to get to the car. So one of his cameras is pointed at the tiled roof.

Ultimately he knows if a professional gang target his car very little will stop them and he relies on the tracker to do it's job.
Old 02 December 2017, 01:02 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine has an R8 and he does his best to keep it out of sight. He has the garage alarmed, has a high security roller door and has recently put in CCTV all around his house after he was told thieves will now go in through a tiled garage roof to get inside as it's easy enough to remove tiles and climb down and open the roller door from the inside to get to the car. So one of his cameras is pointed at the tiled roof.

Ultimately he knows if a professional gang target his car very little will stop them and he relies on the tracker to do it's job.

The cctv camera will make no difference at all apart from giving you a nice video of your car being nicked as a keepsake. A hoody means nobody can be identified and so the police won't even come to view it.
Domestic cctv is the biggest con going unless you use it to alert you via text/call when a camera is triggered and then take some action.

And you can forget about the tracker as well. The thieves don't even have to find it to disable it with a gadget you can buy for £10 from ebay
Old 02 December 2017, 01:03 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

I worked with someone who had his Evo nicked off his drive. Him and his Mrs were asleep upstairs, the car thieves broke in his house found the keys downstairs and took all the laptops and gadgets whilst there to boot and he knew nothing about it until he woke up in the morning. They must have rolled it off his drive and down the road before starting it so as to not wake him up. It **** him and his Mrs right up, as it would anyone.

He was just grateful the keys were left downstairs as you don't need that type stood over you in bed with a knife to your throat demanding the keys.

If they will do that for an Evo think what lengths they will go to for high value cars. Mine isn't high value or fast but it's a hot hatch and can be nicked with a box that plugs in to the port under the dash which is why they are being targeted. I used to block my VXR in but they are hard to nick so it wasn't going anywhere but the Ford by all accounts is a doddle to take. There's apparently a car theft spree going on locally at the moment so i'm going to have to start blocking it in with my Pathfinder and rely on my dogs putting off entry to the house/waking me up as soon as anyone is near the house.

Did your mate not have a burglar alarm?
Old 02 December 2017, 04:31 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive 2 good cars in my locked ,alarmed garage , Then 2 sets of locked gates as well, Then totally covered with a good cctv, . And if Im out the alarm phones me if it gets set off, Then I can view all of my property @ iphone (cctv) What else do we do lol ??
Old 02 December 2017, 11:11 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hidden fuel cut switch dead easy to fit almost impossible to find, car will run on the primer or fuel left in system, they may get it started but wont make it more than 50yds, then it cuts out causing them to abandon and run
Old 03 December 2017, 10:56 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

The cctv camera will make no difference at all apart from giving you a nice video of your car being nicked as a keepsake. A hoody means nobody can be identified and so the police won't even come to view it.
Domestic cctv is the biggest con going unless you use it to alert you via text/call when a camera is triggered and then take some action.

And you can forget about the tracker as well. The thieves don't even have to find it to disable it with a gadget you can buy for £10 from ebay
He has his setup to view on his phone and alert him etc and he thinks the tracker is the saviour just his thoughts not mine, i'm of the opinion if they want the car they will take it and you won't see it again.

Did your mate not have a burglar alarm?
He does but it's not on at night as his dog is left to wander. They are the best alarm you can have in my opinion. Mine will kick off as soon as someone steps on the driveway.
Old 03 December 2017, 11:00 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madscoob
hidden fuel cut switch dead easy to fit almost impossible to find, car will run on the primer or fuel left in system, they may get it started but wont make it more than 50yds, then it cuts out causing them to abandon and run
Can you still do this on modern cars though as i've been told it messes up the ecu - I don't quite understand that as it's a switch so if off and not disabling the car the ecu shouldn't even know it exists.
Old 03 December 2017, 11:08 AM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

its dead easy to do any auto elec will know how to do it, i know a cossie owner who still has his car because of one, all it doe's is disconnect the live to the fuel pump on the running circuit, the car will start on whats left in the pipes but as soon as it's running ie started the pump will have no live feed, so the thief will push you car off your drive and start it and then abandon in your street
Old 03 December 2017, 09:44 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

He has his setup to view on his phone and alert him etc and he thinks the tracker is the saviour just his thoughts not mine, i'm of the opinion if they want the car they will take it and you won't see it again.

He does but it's not on at night as his dog is left to wander. They are the best alarm you can have in my opinion. Mine will kick off as soon as someone steps on the driveway.

I'm not trying to be funny as I've been a victim myself but if a dog is the best alarm... why didn't it wake him up?
Old 04 December 2017, 12:45 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

The mate with the Evo didn't have a dog.
Old 04 December 2017, 09:22 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The tears.

Last edited by joz8968; 04 December 2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04 December 2017, 09:41 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Awesome , loved Clouseau / Sellers
Old 04 December 2017, 09:42 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Could you not simply remove the fuse to the fuel pump when you go to bed?

That is what I will do when my Tesla is delivered