fvck me this place is dead

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2017, 01:00 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by urban
Another fictitious character.
One of Satan's favourite tricks is to convince people he does not exist; should you look, however, you'll see him at work on this very thread.
Old 24 October 2017, 01:03 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peedee
You cannot ‘seek’ something out that is not literal, it is not there, it does not exist. Unless of course, you are ‘led’ to believe it does. More commonly known as ‘gullibilty’.

“Gullibility is a failure of social intelligence in which a person is easily tricked or manipulated into an ill-advised course of action. It is closely related to credulity, which is the tendency to believe unlikely propositions that are unsupported by evidence”

And please don’t tell me the bible is ‘evidence’. Evidence is factual information that cannot be interpreted in a number of different ways (the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid), it is what it is. Believers, including yourself, interpret the bible differently to suit there own needs / arguments etc. That’s not evidence, it’s a story.

And let’s be brutally honest about this.......1000’s of completely innocent people who have worshipped their God’s their entire life have been killed / injured / abused in the name of religion, often by people of the same religion, who just interpret it in a different way. Does that genuinely sound like a realistic, balanced, morally correct model to you? And therein lies the fundamental problem with religion......interpretation. As long as you can twist and contort religious readings to suit your own agenda (of which you do) it’s never going to work. Nobody will ever be on the ‘same page’ so to speak.
I've prayed for you this evening, Peedee.
Old 24 October 2017, 08:55 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Ill pass. Science and religion do not mix. You’d like them to mix because whereas science is based on factual evidence, often tested over time to further cement it’s finidings, religion is a fairytale that has been proven wrong time and time again.....by science, so ‘trying’ to mix them helps your cause and attempts to help justify the (many) wrongs dictated by religious readings.
If this is true, then why has no one ever come out with a scientific proof that there is no such thing as "God"?
Old 24 October 2017, 08:55 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JTaylor
One of Satan's favourite tricks is to convince people he does not exist; should you look, however, you'll see him at work on this very thread.

Your relentless opinions on religion risk distancing people from God: you should consider that Satan may be working through you too.
Old 24 October 2017, 08:59 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paben
Your relentless opinions on religion risk distancing people from God: you should consider that Satan may be working through you too.
You're a bad, bad man.
Old 24 October 2017, 09:25 AM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
If this is true, then why has no one ever come out with a scientific proof that there is no such thing as "God"?
The burden of proof falls to those who believe in god, not those who don't. You want people to believe there is a god....prove it. As it stands, there is no proof (I mean solid, hard evidence, not some gullible whack-job who's been taken in by it all, telling us he does exist). I believe in nothing religious. You only have to look at the state of the world to realise the chance of a god existing is approximately 0.0%.
Old 24 October 2017, 09:28 AM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Because you cannot prove a negative. However, you can prove that the qualities that are claimed for any given deity are incompatible with physics.

e.g. the classic can [insert deity name here] create something so heavy they cannot move it?

Or can they create a sphere with corners?

Science will never disprove any God as such, it just eliminates the places he can hide, until such time it's accepted it's not true.

This is why the religions that have withstood the test of time are the ones that have intangible gods, it's a fallback position that is hard to argue against with logic, which ironically is exactly what faith requires. Actually very clever.
Old 24 October 2017, 09:28 AM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

I've prayed for you this evening, Peedee.
That time could have been spent constructively. I'm sorry you wasted your time.
Old 24 October 2017, 09:30 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

The burden of proof falls to those who believe in god, not those who don't. You want people to believe there is a god....prove it. As it stands, there is no proof (I mean solid, hard evidence, not some gullible whack-job who's been taken in by it all, telling us he does exist). I believe in nothing religious. You only have to look at the state of the world to realise the chance of a god existing is approximately 0.0%.
You miss my point. Every time this discussion comes up people make all these grandiose statements about God not being real but when pressed for actual definitive proof you get the usual conjecture about science. Which is little better than those that claim God exists "because the bible says so".

Anyone with half a scientfic background would acknowledge the fact that there is a limit to human understanding and our ability to quantify the universe. Consequently it is entirely possible that "God" could exist within that realm.
Old 24 October 2017, 09:54 AM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

You miss my point. Every time this discussion comes up people make all these grandiose statements about God not being real but when pressed for actual definitive proof you get the usual conjecture about science. Which is little better than those that claim God exists "because the bible says so".
That argument is seriously flawed because as glib as saying it contradicts science may be, it's such a huge and broad subject that a more defined point is required. The Bible is one book, one subject, one source.

For example, the Romans believed volcanoes were the chimney of the workshop of Vulcan, Jupiter's blacksmith. Once we knew that volcanoes were a result of plate tectonics, Vulcan disappeared.

Likewise lightning, Zeus's anger, but he too disappeared as we understood how things actually work.

The list goes on, so it saying that it contradicts science is as bad as saying the Bible says so clearly is not the same. Perhaps people should be more pointed, but scientific knowledge is such a broad subject, with literally millions of peer reviewed papers, where do you start?

Anyone with half a scientfic background would acknowledge the fact that there is a limit to human understanding and our ability to quantify the universe. Consequently it is entirely possible that "God" could exist within that realm.
This is true, but our understanding increases all the time, and each new discovery backs religion in to a corner further. Just how small does that corner have to become before people give it up?

I suspect even if there was a way to prove a negative, people would still believe, because they would either see it as a deception, or they want to believe because it gives them comfort etc.

I have no problem with people believing whatever they want, it's a free world, but please don't blow me up because I don't believe in the same thing as you. That extends to non-religious beliefs, too!
Old 24 October 2017, 10:22 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Yes, that's a good move. 'Devil' means slanderer, through malice and misrepresentation; 'Satan' means adversary. It's evident that you and I are in different corners in this bout, with me in Christ's and you in, by your own admission, Satan's. You sympathise with him, you pity him and you revere him and Judas. My intentions are good.

However, the enemy is a slippery trickster. In Gethsemane, Jesus tells Satan to get behind Him when Peter says that Jesus ought not go to Jerusalem. This indicates that the Devil can indeed tempt through Christ's disciples even if their intentions are good.

I endeavour, as I am commissioned by Jesus, to sow seeds. The Parable of the Sower says this:

"As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. 5 Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. 6 But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. 7 Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. 8 Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. 9 Whoever has ears, let them hear.”

If my witness is used by the Devil to tempt people away from Jesus, to 'pluck the seed' from them, then so be it - God is sovereign over all. Come the harvest, the wheat must be seperated from the chaff. Of course the hope is that there may be fertile ground upon which the seed lands.

So I shall continue to do as Christ commands and I shall say to you, "get behind me".
Old 24 October 2017, 12:07 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Yes, that's a good move. 'Devil' means slanderer, through malice and misrepresentation; 'Satan' means adversary. It's evident that you and I are in different corners in this bout, with me in Christ's and you in, by your own admission, Satan's. You sympathise with him, you pity him and you revere him and Judas. My intentions are good.

However, the enemy is a slippery trickster. In Gethsemane, Jesus tells Satan to get behind Him when Peter says that Jesus ought not go to Jerusalem. This indicates that the Devil can indeed tempt through Christ's disciples even if their intentions are good.

I endeavour, as I am commissioned by Jesus, to sow seeds. The Parable of the Sower says this:

"As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. 5 Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. 6 But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. 7 Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. 8 Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. 9 Whoever has ears, let them hear.”

If my witness is used by the Devil to tempt people away from Jesus, to 'pluck the seed' from them, then so be it - God is sovereign over all. Come the harvest, the wheat must be seperated from the chaff. Of course the hope is that there may be fertile ground upon which the seed lands.

So I shall continue to do as Christ commands and I shall say to you, "get behind me".

But if God's love is unconditional and perfect then He must love Satan too, even though Satan fell. Humans also succumbed to temptation and fell into sin, but apparently God loves us. It must present quite a dilemma for Him. And you.
Old 24 October 2017, 01:17 PM
wilkoca
Scooby Regular

This thread epitomises why I rarely come on here any more
Old 24 October 2017, 01:42 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

JTaylor's dedication to religion is as strong as JackClark's dedication to Appple. Nothing you say can sway them from their argument, could they actually be the same person in drag?

Last edited by Wurzel; 24 October 2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 24 October 2017, 01:57 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Wurzel
JTaylor's dedication to religion is as strong as JackClark's dedication to Appple. Nothing you say can sway them from their argument, could they actually be the same person in drag?
God is good. Apple is good. Apple is real, God is a nice story.
Old 24 October 2017, 02:08 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

It's fair to say this thread got Meta real quick - 3rd post in - is it a SN record? hahahahaha

Anyhoo - have a random pic for your perusal - this thread can't get any weirder - hahaha

Old 24 October 2017, 02:51 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

But if God's love is unconditional and perfect then He must love Satan too, even though Satan fell. Humans also succumbed to temptation and fell into sin, but apparently God loves us. It must present quite a dilemma for Him. And you.
God's love is not unconditional, so I'm afraid we have a false premise.
Old 24 October 2017, 02:51 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

When can we talk about Subaru’s again some sad people on jere
Old 24 October 2017, 02:55 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO
Next time Subaru produce a car that is:

A) of real interest
B) available to the UK market

Untill which point, may the nonsense continue.
Old 24 October 2017, 03:32 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Next time Subaru produce a car that is:

A) of real interest
B) available to the UK market

Untill which point, may the nonsense continue.
C) Doesn't blow up
Old 24 October 2017, 03:34 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Oh Hello

Old 24 October 2017, 03:37 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Taking aim

Old 24 October 2017, 03:37 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr Hu
It's fair to say this thread got Meta real quick - 3rd post in - is it a SN record? hahahahaha

Anyhoo - have a random pic for your perusal - this thread can't get any weirder - hahaha

Bearing in mind the title of this thread is ‘fvck me this place is dead’. 3rd post in, ....

“I sense there will be revival; not Scoobynet, and not in my lifetime, but within the next century the cognitive elite will evolve toward Christ. I see it happening. Quietly and without fanfare. The new atheist may mock and the profane may imitate them and pour scorn on visionary Christians, but the latter will be, slowly, steadily and surely, resurgent”

Borderline extremist in my opinion. Utterly brainwashed. I actually feel for the guy, religion blinds him.
Old 24 October 2017, 03:40 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
C) Doesn't blow up
That kinda falls into point A though, unless of course random engine death is your thing.
Old 24 October 2017, 03:52 PM
Mr Fuji
Scooby Regular

Then it is not love?
Old 24 October 2017, 03:56 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

So God is not perfect and omnipotent then? To allow us free will He has allowed evil (Satan) to flourish (to give us the choice of good and evil), and has therefore sacrificed His supposed perfect goodness by so doing. Why would He do this? Being all-knowing He must have foreseen that humans would succumb to temptation. Why test us knowing we would fail?
Old 24 October 2017, 04:02 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RAGGY DOO

When we talk about Subarus we run into people who can't spell or punctuate.
Old 24 October 2017, 04:37 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Pipe down Satan lover
Old 24 October 2017, 05:46 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Fuji
Then it is not love?
Why?