Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Music- I'm not cool but...

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2017, 09:56 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Music- I'm not cool but...

I like everything but way out of touch nowadays. Kids turn my car stereo from Radio 2 to Capital as soon as they get get in my car,lol

Like that George Ezra though. His name and voice made me think he is black and about 45. Shocked when I saw he is milk bottle white and about 20.

Ace voice Great singer
Old 29 June 2017, 10:03 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lol... I'm still convinced JK is part black... white men can't sing and dance like that.

If it makes you feel any better my boy always changes the station when he gets in the car... but then I do listen to radio 4.
Old 29 June 2017, 10:04 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've recently discovered the group (not genre) 'jungle'. Brilliant music and fantastic videos. It was only through their music being played on a car advert that I discovered them. Thanks Toyota
Old 29 June 2017, 10:07 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I was expecting the bloke /couple who does detectorists toon , to be a Richard Thompson clone , but of course he isn't
Old 29 June 2017, 10:47 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I still listen to Dire Straits and Roachford

Not totally stuck in genres though, Chemical Brothers, Pearl Jam, Chillis, Cypress, Foo....and erm Bush...Kate Bush.

Ps knock off radio 2, you seem to end up in a music bubble and do miss out on a lot of new/alternate material which they seem to filter out as their playlists are daily Groundhog Day. I think I'm close to cracking their playlist sequences...the A tracks are current stuff with a bias towards anything folky or sounding a bit like Fleetwood Mac (Haim, echosmith, Lissie, etc.) followed by B then C. The B and C seem to be of narrow selection considering they have thousands of middle of the road tracks to choose, they will always play War if the worlds, Quaterflash, Peter Frampton (live version of "show me the way") and poison summer will always be played at least once every two days during summer. Jeramy Vine will almost certainly play something from The Jam and Elvis Costello. And Steve Wright will a mostly play songs with 120BPM (beats per minute) or above.

Not knocking it; Just saying as I endure all this at work, it's refreshing to jump in the car and put something else on. Absolute usually, as the iPhone has recently decided to play the first alphabetical song every time I plug it in...Abracadabra (Steve Miller Band)

Admittedly not much else to listen to round here after Bauer media and Global wrecked all our local stations. So I'm finding myself more and more drawn to radio 4
Old 29 June 2017, 11:51 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

"... and Roachford ..."

Now lead singer of Mike and the Mechanics -- and very good!

Old 30 June 2017, 12:06 AM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Think you mean Mike Rutherford
Old 30 June 2017, 02:26 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...echanics_album)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_...echanics_album)

Wouldn't have guessed it either

Last edited by dpb; 30 June 2017 at 02:30 AM.
Old 30 June 2017, 02:34 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Everyone should obtain a copy of the new London Grammar record - Truth is a Beautiful Thing. Ok, so it's a human construct, but if you can get passed that Rooting for You is an absolute masterpiece.
Old 30 June 2017, 06:54 AM
windmill84
Scooby Regular

Royal Blood are a decent 'Rock' band if you like that sort of music (not heavy metal screaming shouting stuff). I liked them before, but even more impressed with them when I watched them on BBC iplayer at Glastonbury. They're a young two man band, one plays the drums and one plays bass/keyboard and does the vocals. The sounds he gets out of that bass guitar while singing are very impressive - and it's just a bass!!

Well worth checking out.
Old 30 June 2017, 08:38 AM
stealthbomber
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Everyone should obtain a copy of the new London Grammar record - Truth is a Beautiful Thing. Ok, so it's a human construct, but if you can get passed that Rooting for You is an absolute masterpiece.
London grammar are incredible, her voice sends shivers down my spine.
Old 30 June 2017, 08:39 AM
stealthbomber
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by windmill84
Royal Blood are a decent 'Rock' band if you like that sort of music (not heavy metal screaming shouting stuff). I liked them before, but even more impressed with them when I watched them on BBC iplayer at Glastonbury. They're a young two man band, one plays the drums and one plays bass/keyboard and does the vocals. The sounds he gets out of that bass guitar while singing are very impressive - and it's just a bass!!

Well worth checking out.
+1
Old 30 June 2017, 10:20 AM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 1509joe
Think you mean Mike Rutherford
No - seriously, he is now a member

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Roachford
Old 30 June 2017, 10:56 AM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Now there's a turn up for the books
Old 30 June 2017, 02:13 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

As an aside, I never realised who Fuzz from Car Sos had played with; he also has some very funny solo videos!
Old 07 July 2017, 09:41 AM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
I was expecting the bloke /couple who does detectorists toon , to be a Richard Thompson clone , but of course he isn't
So it's not just me and the missus who watch the Detectorists then ? One of the best shows to come out of the BBC !
Old 07 July 2017, 09:47 AM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by windmill84

Well worth checking out.
Saw them live at Bridlington Spa back in 2015 and going to seem them again at Birmingham in Nov. They are a great live act and seem to attract the the same kind of crowd that used to be at the many Oasis gigs I've attended in the past. Not so keen on their second album though - didn't find it as raw as the first.

Another great duo are Twenty One Pilots. They aren't very mainstream over here in the UK but my youngest daughter is fascinated with their music, and for a young band they have quite an extensive back catalogue - worth a listen if you get chance.
Old 12 July 2017, 04:16 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Jonnys3
So it's not just me and the missus who watch the Detectorists then ? One of the best shows to come out of the BBC !
Detectorists is awesome

I'd happily listen to Toby Jones reading the phone book.

Cheered me right up when I heard they were currently working on series 3
Old 13 July 2017, 12:09 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

One more for the Detectorists! Beautifully crafted show. Great characters well acted that you really warm too. Really nice to see such a 'British' show that has that subtle ironic humour & not the in-your face stream of one liners with canned laughter.