Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mid/West Sussex Recommend me a nice family pub

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2017, 11:26 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Mid/West Sussex Recommend me a nice family pub

We have a family gathering this weekend and I've been charged with finding a nice family Country Pub with beer garden kids area and half decent food.

I spent over 2 hours on Google last night with little joy

Any suggestions from the members, if I don't get it right you know the consequences gents, the wife in my ear hole giving me unnecessary grief on a similar level to sleeping with someone else, you know what they're like especially when it's "family"

Thanks
Old 07 June 2017, 02:37 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
We have a family gathering this weekend and I've been charged with finding a nice family Country Pub with beer garden kids area and half decent food.

I spent over 2 hours on Google last night with little joy

Any suggestions from the members, if I don't get it right you know the consequences gents, the wife in my ear hole giving me unnecessary grief on a similar level to sleeping with someone else, you know what they're like especially when it's "family"

Thanks
Proportional response doesn't exist in Women's minds does it

Have you searched Petersfield/Midhurst for a country pub?

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 07 June 2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07 June 2017, 06:59 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Petersfield Hants is just down the road from me, the rellies are coming from Near Ashford, Kent so we agreed on somewhere halfway, Can't see me getting away with Petersfield though
Old 07 June 2017, 08:57 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

The Crabtree just outside Horsham. Plenty of others in the area, Tripadvisor/google will warn you which ones to avoid.
Old 08 June 2017, 06:38 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Petersfield Hants is just down the road from me, the rellies are coming from Near Ashford, Kent so we agreed on somewhere halfway, Can't see me getting away with Petersfield though
shame as hooksway is nice on a sunny sunday for a pint and light-bite
Old 08 June 2017, 06:58 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Thanks for the advice chaps

Will keep Hooksway in mind for next time

Went with the Crabtree
Old 08 June 2017, 07:40 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

The wheatsheaf out by handcross, plumbers plain. Big garden with a park and football pitch for the kids. In the summer they have an outside bar, outside toilets etc etc.
I'll be there Saturday.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wheatsheaf&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#fpstate=lie

Last edited by Kwik; 08 June 2017 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12 June 2017, 12:45 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Well, it started well enough, lovely pub, lovely garden, Peroni on tap, examples of food coming out look superb

Sat down and placed our food orders.............. 2 hours after ordering our food we were still waiting and then to be told they'd run out of lamb for two of us and the star of the show, my bros in law who's birthday it was was served a dish he didn't order, more confusion reigned and again we were told his choice had also run out.

At this point we had 2 of 8 meals on the table, waited another 20 minutes for the kids food to arrive 40 minutes after being told it's being plated up and another 10 after that for my Bros in laws substitution.

Asked for some English Mustard to go with the "roast" beef to again be told they had run out, seriously any gastro pub that serves local beef has Colemans end of, the beef was almost raw and inedible (never left meat on a plate in my life, all the meals were fairly tasteless including the beer batter fish.

Suffice to say the entire meal was free and they threw in a box on Crabtree caramel truffles as well which were the best part of the meal.

I felt sorry for them as they have great reviews and clearly they were all over the shop yesterday, it was a nice gesture to offer the entire meal for free but I guess they didn't want a table of 8 walking out mid meal which they were sensing.

So we decided to take the kids to the Wheatsheaf for desert and what a peculiar little place that is. Great for kids and again Peroni on tap, very odd interior with some sort of stuffed aminal americana theme going on with an African Grey wandering around on the bar, interesting for a pub serving food having an animal walking about the bar. Wife orders a pot of tea, got a pot of hot water and single tea bags to make her own, took the top off the tea pot to find a lovely stained and cracked interior which we then stirred and the brown stains came to life and started floating about the tea pot. as for the landlord and landlady, what an odd couple, landlord was wearing this all afternoon

Not the best dining experience to say the least, on the upside the £220.00 I saved from the free meal will go towards a Dyson V6
Old 12 June 2017, 02:44 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Well, it started well enough, lovely pub, lovely garden, Peroni on tap, examples of food coming out look superb

Sat down and placed our food orders.............. 2 hours after ordering our food we were still waiting and then to be told they'd run out of lamb for two of us and the star of the show, my bros in law who's birthday it was was served a dish he didn't order, more confusion reigned and again we were told his choice had also run out.

At this point we had 2 of 8 meals on the table, waited another 20 minutes for the kids food to arrive 40 minutes after being told it's being plated up and another 10 after that for my Bros in laws substitution.

Asked for some English Mustard to go with the "roast" beef to again be told they had run out, seriously any gastro pub that serves local beef has Colemans end of, the beef was almost raw and inedible (never left meat on a plate in my life, all the meals were fairly tasteless including the beer batter fish.

Suffice to say the entire meal was free and they threw in a box on Crabtree caramel truffles as well which were the best part of the meal.

I felt sorry for them as they have great reviews and clearly they were all over the shop yesterday, it was a nice gesture to offer the entire meal for free but I guess they didn't want a table of 8 walking out mid meal which they were sensing.

So we decided to take the kids to the Wheatsheaf for desert and what a peculiar little place that is. Great for kids and again Peroni on tap, very odd interior with some sort of stuffed aminal americana theme going on with an African Grey wandering around on the bar, interesting for a pub serving food having an animal walking about the bar. Wife orders a pot of tea, got a pot of hot water and single tea bags to make her own, took the top off the tea pot to find a lovely stained and cracked interior which we then stirred and the brown stains came to life and started floating about the tea pot. as for the landlord and landlady, what an odd couple, landlord was wearing this all afternoon

Not the best dining experience to say the least, on the upside the £220.00 I saved from the free meal will go towards a Dyson V6
Lol what time was you at the wheatsheaf? We got there at about 3pm and they had had 3 staff call in sick, landlady was serving a queue going all the way out from the bar to the beer garden.
As I say normally there's a bar outside which helps with getting drinks and food quicker but they obviously couldn't cover it.
Locals were gving the parrot some beer whilst I was waiting in the queue. Parkings a fricking nightmare but I managed to slip the type r into the main car park instead of one of the side roads.
Old 12 June 2017, 04:37 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Originally Posted by Kwik
Lol what time was you at the wheatsheaf? We got there at about 3pm and they had had 3 staff call in sick, landlady was serving a queue going all the way out from the bar to the beer garden.
As I say normally there's a bar outside which helps with getting drinks and food quicker but they obviously couldn't cover it.
Locals were gving the parrot some beer whilst I was waiting in the queue. Parkings a fricking nightmare but I managed to slip the type r into the main car park instead of one of the side roads.
We rolled in there at about 17:00 after our lunch at the Crabtree became dinner...

I stuck a beautiful penalty into the top right corner