Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I want to slide!

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2002, 01:31 PM
mike16v
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After seeing a BMW Coupe sliding round a round-a-bout with it's tail out, I want to do this too... but being a Golf, it's FWD...

How can I make the Golf "dance" like the BM??? Is it just a case of steering into the corner and pulling on the hand brake while keeping the power on & some opposite lock?? Or will the FWD just not play the game?? (My mate's Pug 205 used to do this no problem without the hand brake...)

Obviously, I'll only be doing this during track days etc

Cheers!
Old 13 June 2002, 01:42 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe with things such as pugs and ciroen's its down to the torsion bar... as far as I know / or used to in my 106 drive onto the roundabout, or around it till it feels like its breaking traction then just lift of the throttle and the back end will begin to brake traction and come around (due to the wait transfer i believe.) to correct / bring under control just put your foot back on the accelerator... DONT try this on a roundabout... you will crash if you get it wrong... find somewhere empty...

have a look at www.drivingtechniques.co.uk

Seriously though I wouldnt try it unless your competent...

Prefer J turns in supermarket carparks myself... (whilst open )

David
Old 13 June 2002, 02:00 PM
Adam_K
Scooby Regular

its called lift off oversteer, and my saxo used to be more than happy to oblige.

make sure u have a nice wide road with lots of space to try it on. when u go into a corner, accelerate hard into it. as u reach the peak of the corner left off the accelerator and allow the rear end to kinda swing round and use the accelerator again to catch it in the right place.

hope that makes sense, its hard to explain it, u need to try it for yourself.

i promise u the car will bite back if u get this wrong. if u don't correct in time it will grab traction and throw u majorly off track.

have fun playing though

[Edited by Adam_K - 6/13/2002 2:01:27 PM]
Old 13 June 2002, 06:48 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Further to what Adam K has told you combine these techniques with left foot braking and you can get serious control of your slides (in my VTS anyway). Practice braking with your left foot on clear straight roads for a while (takes a lot of getting used to). Then take on you target corner or roundabout and punch in fast (need lots of momentum and lateral force) with a little pressure on the brake and lots of throttle. Press harder on the brake when the lateral force builds while coming off the gas until the car unbalances and the back end goes. In a good car you should now be about the 'sweet point' in which case the brake (left foot) and accelerator (right foot) act like digital switches - i.e. - press the brake and the back end goes and press the accelerator and the front end goes. You can have serious fun with this until your momentum runs out - It's about then you want RWD cause you don't want the fun to end.

You really would be best to try this on a huge empty roundabout (or better yet off road) rather than a country lane. Get it wrong an you will spin out of control!
Old 14 June 2002, 08:58 AM
mike16v
Scooby Regular

Wink

he he he! When's the next Crail???????