Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Had a blood test

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2017, 05:17 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had a blood test

My GP ordered some blood tests and a ECG after I had complained of feeling nauseous for a while and had some arrhythmia.

All good apart from some kidney function.

Serum Creatinine was 106 or so and GFR was 67.

They said have another test this time it is 97 and 76 respectively, so 'ok', but from my research the GFR could be better for my age (I'm 38).

After the first test I was worried I'd damaged my kidneys from taking too many NSAID over a long period a few years ago.

Still doesn't explain the nausea, but it tends to be only when I travel or watch TV, and it isn't that bad recently, although had been real bad towards the end of last year.
Old 16 March 2017, 09:15 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our lab just report eGFR>60 and don't give a number if it is. This may miss subclinical kidney disease, but progression is more important and seeing 67 rising to 97 is encouraging. A higher cutoff for normality would be unlikely to do more good than harm in terms of investigating. Would avoid NSAIDs now if you can especially with nausea.
Old 16 March 2017, 09:34 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by john banks
Our lab just report eGFR>60 and don't give a number if it is. This may miss subclinical kidney disease, but progression is more important and seeing 67 rising to 97 is encouraging. A higher cutoff for normality would be unlikely to do more good than harm in terms of investigating. Would avoid NSAIDs now if you can especially with nausea.
It was 76 the second time John, 97 for the creatinine I should have made that clearer, but I guess what you said holds true. I read on the internet (good source of knowledge obviously) that it should be >90 in a healthy person?

I've not been taking NSAIDs for a couple to three years now, and I'm much more suspect about them given the health risks that have been published.
Old 16 March 2017, 09:46 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, 67 rising to 76 is still encouraging. In our area, a value of >60 would never have been mentioned as anything other than normal and would not trigger concern or investigation, but the physiology textbooks say GFR of 125ml/min is considered normal. However, physiological parameters have a wide variation and there is not really a sharp cutoff of what is normal and what is not, but often lab tests show "abnormal" when they are two standard deviations from the mean, which is crude but a handy reference. The other thing with eGFR is that it has loads of assumptions, it is in there with BMI unless wildly abnormal. There is some literature criticising the medicalisation of those with eGFR 45-59 on repeated tests.
Old 17 March 2017, 07:34 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Nausea - possibly due to a completely unrelated optical or ear-canal issue?

(I'll declare myself an absolute layman here, in terms of medical training )
Old 17 March 2017, 11:28 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

I just get brassed off with the medical profession calling them 'your bloods' and ' your meds'.

Its like everyone goes to 'Uni ' now.

Sorry.. OT