Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Insurance post code ratings

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2017, 02:36 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance post code ratings

Having recently moved house from the depths of Keighley with a BD21 postcode to the far less crime riddled, insurance swindling, village of Sutton in Craven I was surprised to learn that my post code of BD20 meant that I was actually in a higher insurance category than where I was before.

This, I have been told, is to do with where my post gets sorted as we do not have our own sorting office. Have I missed something or am I paying more on my insurance due to Royal Mail?

I know someone not too far away with a BD23 postcode (band A) who pays around half what I pay for a like for like car. His is a 2.0 diesel Focus and mine is a 1.6 diesel Civic for goodness sake.

http://www.motorcarinsuranceuk.co.uk...de-ratings.php

Last edited by SRSport; 27 February 2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 27 February 2017, 03:20 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

It's todo with where more claims have been made i.e. If a person lives in a high postcode area and has had a crash or cars been claimed upon in a good postcode area then that good postcode area is high because of claims made in that area, so a bad neighbourhood in not nesaserraly high on insurance.
Any claims, could be anything from a flood, theft, damage, stolen etc that makes a area high.
And different insurers use different databases also.

My postcode although good wouldn't allow me to insure with 1 company due to claims when others were cheap, now that 1 insurer that wouldn't quote me before is now the cheapest.
Old 27 February 2017, 04:17 PM
steve05wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I believe some insurers only use first 4 digits of postcode - whereas others use 5 or 6.
Might be worth a google search to find one that uses more detailed database.
Cheers
Steve