Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Depression,Sport,endorphins

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2017, 09:51 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Depression,Sport,endorphins

Had a bad couple of years,as does everyone one now and again.Never understood people who talked about depression.I understand now.

Always been sporty,but it tailed off over the years.However just got back in to one of my favourites,Badminton.Used to play a good standard for many years but left it for a long time. Can't get enough again now!

Forget pills and all the other remedies. Never thought talk about 'endorphins' meant much either. how wrong could I have been.Feel an utterly different person.Sleep well,eat well,smile.lol

Honestly,anyone who is in anyway feeling the same,sport is the answer.In any way,shape or form. Just find one for yourself and you will change your life

Not a lecture,just a pointer
Old 10 February 2017, 10:12 PM
sti-chris
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found running to be good for clearing the mind and therapeutic to depression.
Old 10 February 2017, 10:36 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. Cardiovascular exercises are the best non-pharmacological treatment for depression. Good for you for taking Badminton back on. ; unlike your usual Cricket in which you just faff about all day long, with a bunch of other faffers like yourself on the pitch.

I'd like to add that Sport/physical exercise is a mood elevator, it gives you a high, but it's not the only answer. You (I mean, anyone) need to make other things right in your life as well e.g. job satisfaction, work-life balance, better food and fluids intake and better personal and social relationships etc.

You may say that if your mood is elevated, that may help you to make everything else right for yourself. Not necessarily. Some people are heavily involved in sports for the high and sheer escape from everything else. It's better not to escape but use sports constructively to do its job, and along with that, attend to other areas of your life as well and make them right. Then you will be giving a genuine, longer term Colgate smile.
Old 10 February 2017, 10:55 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

lol.Made me smile as usual Swati
Old 11 February 2017, 08:22 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lol, you missed out the keeping fit part... I used to love badminton... very under rated sport... struggle to find people good enough to make it worth while bothering... same with table tennis which I used to play for youth club and and a little bit later on for a local club... tried to find someone a few times but they're idea of being able to play could only be described as ping pong.
Old 11 February 2017, 11:55 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Lol, you missed out the keeping fit part... I used to love badminton... very under rated sport... struggle to find people good enough to make it worth while bothering... same with table tennis which I used to play for youth club and and a little bit later on for a local club... tried to find someone a few times but they're idea of being able to play could only be described as ping pong.

Is this you?

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...-pong-champion

dl

OP - nice post btw
Old 11 February 2017, 12:13 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
unlike your usual Cricket in which you just faff about all day long, with a bunch of other faffers like yourself on the pitch.
you missed out 'play with your ***** and rub them against your leg',,,,,

Trending Topics

Old 11 February 2017, 12:59 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by On-the-bog
you missed out 'play with your ***** and rub them against your leg',,,,,

OTB, my brain doesn't always recognise this sort of observation as of any importance. More than anything, it's just standing around like a loser, and tedious waiting for the next move from someone else on the pitch that gets me fed up with Cricket.

Not a bad sport, though. Big thing where I originate from i.e. India. World class team and all that.

Last edited by Turbohot; 11 February 2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11 February 2017, 01:10 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
OTB, my brain doesn't always recognise this sort of observation as of any importance. More than anything, it's just standing around like a loser, and tedious waiting for the next move from someone else on the pitch that gets me fed up with Cricket.

Not a bad sport, though. Big thing where I originate from i.e. India. World class team and all that.
haha.

to be fair cricket has come a long way with the introduction of 20/20, now that is entertaining
Old 11 February 2017, 01:16 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Cycling is my fix, always feel great after a turbo session or a ride out
Old 11 February 2017, 01:49 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by On-the-bog
haha.

to be fair cricket has come a long way with the introduction of 20/20, now that is entertaining
Yes, shorter term boredom to endure.

Slagging it off aside, Cricket is quite a stylish sport. But as a remedial sport for depression, it hasn't much value. In addition to much less CV workout in the Cricket, in compare to the jumpy and fast-paced Badminton, even the Cricket kit, is in a clinical colour to start with, generally for the amateurs. About the space to play as well, although open, is just a barren pitch.

Golf, although even lesser of a CV exercise generator, has more potential to treat depression; due to its very pitch in green spaces. Green spaces are well-recognise as mood enhancers.

Back to Cricket, if the style only could treat depression, then a depression experiencing person wearing James Bond shades and talking like Marlon Brando from Godfather movie could treat his depression. Well it would, to some extent, but not to the massive degree and a more reliable sense that a CV exercise and other effective therapies would.
Old 11 February 2017, 04:08 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by David Lock

I'm not that good anymore, not played TT for maybe 10yrs, I did win a tournament on holiday in spain about 20yrs ago though and strangely enough it was me and a bloke of about 70 in the final... he took some beating as well.
Old 13 February 2017, 11:18 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Indoor rowing for me.

Often feel a bit $hit so a long blast on the ergo clears the mind.
Did a half marathon on it this morning, and now I'm bolloxed.
Old 14 February 2017, 07:13 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After coming 280th out of 330 running in county cross country in the mud, snow and freezing cold last weekend I was really struggling to find the endorphin high... Remind me why we do this stuff?