Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Two Sporty Type Questions About Injuries

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2016, 03:09 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Two Sporty Type Questions About Injuries

That poor kid Petra Kvitova who had her playing hand badly damaged in a knife attack. Is it feasible that in time she could switch her serving hand to the other side or would she never get back her "natural" game. Presumably she could still practice on a court using her wrong hand but keep fit while she is waiting and hoping for her damaged tendons to heal?

George North the rugby player who keeps getting concussed. IMHO he should probably quit and keep his brain intact. But if he wore a head guard like a sparring boxer would this more or less eliminate the risk of a further KO?

David
Old 22 December 2016, 03:31 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Some players can use both hands, some are totaly one handed. So depends. Can still do fitness training etc (played alot of racket sports growing up and im a qualified badminton coach)

repeat brain injuries always seem to be very strongly advised against from what i hear, but not something i have come across much so only going off media for that one
Old 22 December 2016, 03:33 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
That poor kid Petra Kvitova who had her playing hand badly damaged in a knife attack. Is it feasible that in time she could switch her serving hand to the other side or would she never get back her "natural" game. Presumably she could still practice on a court using her wrong hand but keep fit while she is waiting and hoping for her damaged tendons to heal?

George North the rugby player who keeps getting concussed. IMHO he should probably quit and keep his brain intact. But if he wore a head guard like a sparring boxer would this more or less eliminate the risk of a further KO?

David
In Tennis, it's normal to use both hands; although the stronger, functioning hand will always be the main hand. In her case, her injured left hand is her main hand. IMO she should continue practising for her overall fitness as well as play with her right hand until the left one heals. With that, she may even become very good with her right hand as well, and thrash her opponents big style by changing her hands in future. How cool will that be.

Don't know about Mr. North's situ.

Last edited by Turbohot; 22 December 2016 at 06:42 PM.
Old 22 December 2016, 05:17 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

You ever tried wiping your ar$e with the other hand..?
It just don't work the same.
I would say she would never be able to swap serving to the other hand.

Regarding the rugby player...he needs to give it up now. Head guard will not stop his brain sloshing around banging off a hard shell.
Old 22 December 2016, 06:28 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by njkmrs
Regarding the rugby player...he needs to give it up now. Head guard will not stop his brain sloshing around banging off a hard shell.
Yeah, needs to quit before he is a veggie. I smashed my head a bunch of times in the last few years and now I don't have a sense of smell....yey, lol.
Old 22 December 2016, 07:05 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by njkmrs
You ever tried wiping your ar$e with the other hand..?
It just don't work the same.
Yes, it may not work the same, but it can do; up to a 'satisfactory' rating, with dedicated practice. She needs to carry on with her practice regardless; to keep the form.

Practice is the key for making things happen. Say if you lose your dominant hand in an accident, you'd have no choice but to use your non-dominant hand for everything. Practice can make a non-dominant hand a functioning one, if not perfect. I've even seen some accidentally, not necessarily 'by birth' limbless people painting fantastic pics by holding the paint brush between their teeth. So, in this case, it's a hand doing only a hand's job.

I would say she would never be able to swap serving to the other hand.

Of course she will struggle with playing with her non-dominant hand, it's easily imaginable. Soon though, her usual 'champion' hand will fully mend, so she should be back to her champion self- with more ambidexterity, which is very beneficial for a Tennis player.