Rejecting car question

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2016, 06:15 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rejecting car question

My friend has a 2013 Focus ecoboost for 3 weeks,and covered 124 miles

He Px'd his old 2008 Focus and took finance against the remainder.

The Focus ran short of water(common fault apparently),blew the Headgasket and seized the engine.

He now wants to reject the car,as obviously not fit for purpose. The "Car people" where bought from said that isnt possible as a PX was involved. They will also not give him another car (he is happy to take another car as replacement),but they will only repair the car and give it back to him when ready.

Surely this isnt right is it ?
Old 21 December 2016, 06:22 PM
stevekoz
Scooby Regular

No that isn't right.

The car needed to be fit for purpose.

Give you my example that happened recently.

I bought a 2009 reg Impreza STi Hatch

Test drove fine. HPI clear. 1 Owner from New 50K. Standard with Full Subaru Dealer history. £12k with a part ex involved.

2 hr drive home, by the time i got home the car was overheating. It wasn't in the red but it had crept up. RAC inspected and advised it was fine - next day, ddriving to work (6mile journey) the same thing happened.

Car was recovered to the dealer (2nd hand dealer).

I advised i wanted to return the car. They advised they needed an opportunity to investigate and prove the car was at fault. They had it for two weeks.

Week One - Car was kept with them, they did a number of test drives. Let the car idle. No overheating issue. They advised it was nothing to worry about. i advised that was not the case and wanted it taken to a main dealer.

Week Two - the car was sent to subaru. Took them a week to also find fault in form of a compression test and lipmus test for exhaust gasses.

On proving a fault. As it was reported to the 2nd hand dealer with a period of time and it was within my statutary rights they provided a full refund. This included either my part ex back or the value that was offered as part of the deal. the latter was taken.

So yes, your friend should be able to state that he is illegible for a refund of his monies. If the car was not fit for purpose.

There is a lot of legal info online about the act that this is covered. Just google it. SHould be enough to provide him ammo to get it sorted i'd have thought.
Old 21 December 2016, 06:22 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1
My friend has a 2013 Focus ecoboost for 3 weeks,and covered 124 miles

He Px'd his old 2008 Focus and took finance against the remainder.

The Focus ran short of water(common fault apparently),blew the Headgasket and seized the engine.

He now wants to reject the car,as obviously not fit for purpose. The "Car people" where bought from said that isnt possible as a PX was involved. They will also not give him another car (he is happy to take another car as replacement),but they will only repair the car and give it back to him when ready.

Surely this isnt right is it ?
If it is a common fault the onus is on the owner to check. Small claims court maybe an option though.

Caveat emptor.
Old 21 December 2016, 06:26 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Thanks Steve,thats a great example..

Im not sure how an new owner could check if a gasket thats internal in the engine would be in good condition ?

You would hope that at 23k mileage and 3 1/2 years old it would be ?

Caveat emptor ? Does that even apply if the car was bought from a dealer ?
Old 21 December 2016, 06:32 PM
Justme103
Scooby Regular

Your friend is entitled to reject the car, Within the first 30 days a vehicle can be rejected if any fault occurs.

After the 30 days the company have the right to want a chance to fix it.

But the car must be fit for purpose for a minimum of 6 months.
Old 21 December 2016, 06:37 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1
Thanks Steve,thats a great example..

Im not sure how an new owner could check if a gasket thats internal in the engine would be in good condition ?

You would hope that at 23k mileage and 3 1/2 years old it would be ?

Caveat emptor ? Does that even apply if the car was bought from a dealer ?
Did the buyer have an AA/RAC inspection done? Was any warranty offered or purchased?
You said that the fault is common.
It's like buying a 2.5 Subaru or K Series Rover engine, you know something may go wrong. All you can do is keep pushing doors for help and advice.
Old 21 December 2016, 06:41 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

He bought the car off a dealership...

They go through a pre delivery inspection and a warranty of 3 months is applied.
Old 21 December 2016, 06:55 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
If it is a common fault the onus is on the owner to check. Small claims court maybe an option though.

Caveat emptor.
not if bought from a dealer. That is incorrect
Old 21 December 2016, 08:10 PM
stevekoz
Scooby Regular

Many people think that if you buy a 2nd hand car you have no rights. That is not true, you have more now than perhaps ever, but you will still always get a dealer trying to shirk the responsibility - be that main dealer or 2nd hand dealer. The law covers both, as long as they are a trading company and that is the business they are in.

This is an extract from a guide to the consumer rights act....

Problems with cars bought from dealers

Remember
  • contact the dealer as soon as you notice the problem
  • try to keep conversations with them as amicable as possible
  • but keep a record of all your exchanges and make sure any verbal agreements are put in writing

If you buy a new or used car from a dealer and experience problems with it, you have some statutory rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
The Act states that the car must be “of a satisfactory quality”, “fit for purpose” and “as described”. (For a used car, “satisfactory quality” takes into account the car’s age and mileage.)

It states that you have a right to reject something faulty, and that you are entitled to a full refund within 30 days of purchase in most cases. After that, you lose the short-term right to reject the goods. You’ll also have fewer rights, such as only being able to ask for a repair or replacement, or a partial refund if this doesn’t work.
In fact, you’re legally allowed to return it up to six years after you bought it (in Scotland, it’s five years after you first realised there was a problem). But it gets more difficult to prove that a fault and not normal wear and tear is the cause of any problem.
How to get things put right

Here’s what to do if you have a problem with a new or used car bought from a dealer:
  • Contact the dealer as soon as you notice the problem – in person if possible.
  • If the dealer offers to fix the problem, make sure you understand any costs involved. Keep a record of your conversations and correspondence, and get all verbal agreements in writing.
  • If all else fails, you can reject your car as long as you tried to resolve the issue with the dealer first.
  • If you decide to reject the car, you must give the dealer details of your reasons for doing so in writing, and within six months of taking delivery of it.
  • If the dealer refuses to accept your rejection of the car, contact the customer relations department of its manufacturer straight away. They may be able to mediate.
  • For help making your complaint consider using Resolver.co.uk. The Ombudsman Services said “Resolver.co.uk is a free online service and app that offers consumer advice and simplifies the process of complaining.”

The point i've underlined, itallic'd and made bold - if its within a decent age, mileage and has history, you can expect a headgasket to last a "satisfactory" amount of time.

The fault may be common - similar to the 2.5 engine head issue with Imprezas. That isn't to say it should be expected to go. Even doing a sniff test at a dealer, subaru themselves took a week to diagnose a headgasket failure. Even then they said it could last 10 minutes, 10 hours or 10,000miles there is no knowing.

The garage you bought the car from should be given the opportunity to provide you a satisfactory outcome - this may include repair, which, if he likes the car he may be happy to take. But that would have to include everything (IMHO) that could need doing with the head - skimming, port, polish, uprated gaskets, bolts, see if any damage was caused internally etc. etc. etc. In my case, the garage refused to do that, and refused (politely argued against) to let me choose who carried out the repair and on that grounds i said no, i wouldn't be happy, i want Peace of mind as a consumer and they then had no choice but to offer a refund.

Last edited by stevekoz; 21 December 2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old 21 December 2016, 08:15 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815

Caveat emptor.
You are wrong. He bought it from a dealer.

If this was a private sale, then yes, you would indeed be correct, but buying from a dealer gives him far greater cover. He's well within his rights to go down the path of taking it back etc.
Old 21 December 2016, 08:24 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevekoz

So yes, your friend should be able to state that he is illegible for a refund of his monies. If the car was not fit for purpose.

Steve - you mean eligible?? Big difference

OP. Get onto Trading Standards, that is what they are there for.

Dealers have major responsibilities when it comes to faults after a sale which is why you pay more than you would in a private deal. But they will lie and squirm as much as they can to hold onto their profit.

Do not let them get away with it. Keep a record of the facts and ask Trading Standards what you should say in writing to the garage.

Good luck, David
Old 21 December 2016, 10:45 PM
stevekoz
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=David Lock;11905065]Steve - you mean eligible?? Big difference ]

yeah you are right that is what i meant, dam spelling. sorry.
Old 22 December 2016, 07:50 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Just to let you all know.....

They replaced the car today. More or less identical but with slightly lower miles..

He is happy enough,thanks for the info guys..
Old 22 December 2016, 09:22 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Great stuff.
Old 22 December 2016, 11:16 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice one