Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

UK Border Force

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2016, 01:36 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default UK Border Force

Had my first experience with the UK Border Force on Saturday. I’ve since read up that they do far more than border control, so in reflection, I’m no longer surprised about what happened, but at the time, I was thinking WTF……

So I arrived in to Heathrow on a flight from Bogota, my original location had been Santiago. As I walked the 17 miles from the gate to passport control I passed three of UKBF’s finest who casually enquired, “Where have you come from”, so I replied Santiago and carried on walking.

After walking another 23 miles, I arrived at passport control where I used my new automagic one to pass through the facial scanner thing. Job done, or so I thought. As I walked towards the baggage carrousel I could see another of UKBF’s finest making a beeline for me from across the hall. Then the questions started.
Can I see you passport please? Handed it over and carried on walking to the carousel for my checked baggage. Where have you come from? Answered that one. What have you been doing? Are you self-employed or can you prove you work for a company? How long have you been out there? Have you got any proof that you work for company x, can I look in your bag please? At no point was the lady rude, she was just matter of fact and very much US Immigration Stylee. I was just somewhat bemused that as a British passport holder, I was getting asked so many questions. Anyway, she had a look through my bag, whilst I made a joke about not sitting on the carrousel in case it started up, and found my receipts etc. Then I got asked for more proof that I’d been working – have I got any paper work. I ended up showing her emails on my phone at which point she lost interest, said thank you and walked off.

I was expecting to get pulled to the side by the customs dudes as well, but the excitable Springer Spaniel didn’t seem that interested in my case.
As I say, it was all a bit weird at the time and I was thinking on the way home have I got some kind of marker on my passport, because I’ve been stopped by customs in Leeds twice before as well, but it seems UKBF have a joint responsibility of controlling who enters the country as well as stopping people bringing in things they shouldn’t so it makes sense now.
Old 12 December 2016, 01:52 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

drug capital of the world ?

maybe you just look suspicious
Old 12 December 2016, 01:58 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^
Had my first experience with the UK Border Force on Saturday. I’ve since read up that they do far more than border control, so in reflection, I’m no longer surprised about what happened, but at the time, I was thinking WTF……

So I arrived in to Heathrow on a flight from Bogota, my original location had been Santiago. As I walked the 17 miles from the gate to passport control I passed three of UKBF’s finest who casually enquired, “Where have you come from”, so I replied Santiago and carried on walking.

After walking another 23 miles, I arrived at passport control where I used my new automagic one to pass through the facial scanner thing. Job done, or so I thought. As I walked towards the baggage carrousel I could see another of UKBF’s finest making a beeline for me from across the hall. Then the questions started.
Can I see you passport please? Handed it over and carried on walking to the carousel for my checked baggage. Where have you come from? Answered that one. What have you been doing? Are you self-employed or can you prove you work for a company? How long have you been out there? Have you got any proof that you work for company x, can I look in your bag please? At no point was the lady rude, she was just matter of fact and very much US Immigration Stylee. I was just somewhat bemused that as a British passport holder, I was getting asked so many questions. Anyway, she had a look through my bag, whilst I made a joke about not sitting on the carrousel in case it started up, and found my receipts etc. Then I got asked for more proof that I’d been working – have I got any paper work. I ended up showing her emails on my phone at which point she lost interest, said thank you and walked off.

I was expecting to get pulled to the side by the customs dudes as well, but the excitable Springer Spaniel didn’t seem that interested in my case.
As I say, it was all a bit weird at the time and I was thinking on the way home have I got some kind of marker on my passport, because I’ve been stopped by customs in Leeds twice before as well, but it seems UKBF have a joint responsibility of controlling who enters the country as well as stopping people bringing in things they shouldn’t so it makes sense now.
Was it the far away look and frosting in the nostrils?
Old 12 December 2016, 04:40 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I've been stopped by security every time I've left the UK for about the last ten times, whether through Hull, Dover or Folkestone. I must look dodgy.
Old 12 December 2016, 05:36 PM
silver-sub
Scooby Regular

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I had security swap my hands and phone on the way back from Marrakech at Mcr airport. Supposedly it picks up material I've been handling.
Old 12 December 2016, 06:54 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Was it the far away look and frosting in the nostrils?
I don't think I looked too good as I'd been on the go for ~24 hours with little sleep.
Old 12 December 2016, 10:05 PM
BoozyDave
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could have been worse, at least you didn't have to squat and cough
Old 13 December 2016, 01:03 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by silver-sub
I had security swap my hands and phone on the way back from Marrakech at Mcr airport. Supposedly it picks up material I've been handling.
Palms up or down?