What is the 'Y' word?

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2016, 06:06 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the 'Y' word?

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/...k?ocid=UE07DHP

"But friends I have spoken to of my age post-Brexit have heard the ‘p’ word or the ‘n’ word or the ‘y’word…"

What's he talking about with that 'Y' word?

Anyone?

Last edited by Turbohot; 15 November 2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 15 November 2016, 06:14 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

I'd imagine he's referring to "Yid".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yid
Old 15 November 2016, 06:31 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
I'd imagine he's referring to "Yid".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yid
Ok! Thanks, Neil.

My first thought was Y for Yank. I mean, a Trump supporting one. As as a nasty tease, even when one isn't one; neither a yank nor a Trump supporter. I'd call that Tyank, personally. If it were for Hillary, I'd call them Hyank or Cyank. It's like Britain's exit from EU is being called Brexit.

I also played with the possibility that perhaps Khan is referring the word 'European'. I thought some uneducated Brexit supporters may think that the 'European' word starts with a Y; like 'Yuropean'.

I also played with the possibility of the word 'why' for that 'Y'. For the same reason as mentioned above. For example, saying to a foreigner: "Y are U still here, hm?", and this 'Y' for 'why' becomes a derogatory word/term, eventually. You know how language evolves.

I'm not saying that all Brexit voters are uneducated. Not at all. They're surely more educated than me for they knew what they meant by the 'Y' word, and my ignorant self didn't.
Old 15 November 2016, 08:35 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Chinese for "****"
Old 15 November 2016, 09:13 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Chinese for "****"
Really??? So, the racist folk must have been referring Chinese folk with that word? That's awful. Effing vancouvers those racist people are!

Mind you, calling someone a 'racist' is like swearing at them- to their ears. One doesn't need to call them effing vancouvers or any other bad thing. Isn't it? That's even when they are factually racist.
Old 15 November 2016, 09:19 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the age of professionally offended snowflakes it's best not to utter a word in case you offend someone, of course your silence may also be considered offensive...
Old 15 November 2016, 09:23 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Frontal skid
Old 15 November 2016, 09:37 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
In the age of professionally offended snowflakes it's best not to utter a word in case you offend someone, of course your silence may also be considered offensive...
Good post and very true.

In other context, the intentional silence can be a form of aggression; a passive one. It's more difficult to work out someone's ambiguous workings of their hateful mind than take a clear cut abuse from an open book. You can call a clear cut verbal abuser a verbal abuser. What do you call a silent, psychological torturer? Nothing. Lost for words you will become as well; to refer them as anything. Such silence begetting silence types are very dangerous and toxic.
Old 15 November 2016, 09:38 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
Frontal skid
CRS for Yid?
Old 16 November 2016, 09:00 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Originally Posted by joz8968
CRS for Yid?
The old Cockney slang was 'Four by Two' as in the popular standard size for a piece of building timber 4 inches by 2 inches.
Old 16 November 2016, 09:28 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

How the language flourishes!

After all this international political palaver in 2016, not just Brexit and Trumpism, but a term called 'Post-truth' is also involved in Oxford Dictionaries. It's even being called the international word of the year!

https://www.rt.com/uk/367113-oxford-...ry-post-truth/

From the article:

‘Post-truth’ is an adjective used to describe how objective facts are often less influential in shaping public opinion than appeals to emotion and personal belief.

One of the most infamous examples came from former Justice Secretary Michael Gove, who was accused of importing Trump’s brand of ‘post-truth politics’ to the EU referendum campaign.

He had stuck by the Leave Campaign’s widely discredited claim that Britain sends £350 million (US$430 million) to the EU, and refused to name any economists who backed Brexit, saying “people in this country have had enough of experts.”

Editors say use of the term ‘post-truth’ increased by around 2,000 percent in 2016 compared to last year. It put the rise down to the EU referendum in the United Kingdom and the presidential election in the United States.

The dictionary’s word of the year is intended to “reflect the passing year in language.”

...Oxford Dictionaries’ Casper Grathwohl told the BBC ‘post-truth’ could become “one of the defining words of our time.”

...According to Oxford Dictionaries, ‘post-truth’ was first used in a 1992 essay by the late Serbian-American playwright Steve Tesich in Nation magazine. Tesich, writing about the Iran-Contra scandal and the Persian Gulf war, said: “We, as a free people, have freely decided that we want to live in some post-truth world.”

...Last year, editors controversially chose the ‘face with tears of joy’ emoji. It said the pictograph best represented “the ethos, mood and preoccupations of 2015.”

...Contenders for this year’s title included the noun ‘alt-right’, shortened from ‘alternative right’, which is defined as an “ideological grouping associated with extreme conservative or reactionary viewpoints, characterized by a rejection of mainstream politics and by the use of online media to disseminate deliberately controversial content.”

And,

Brexiteer was also in the running, along with non-political terms including ‘coulrophobia’, which is the fear of clowns, and ‘hygge’, the Danish concept of coziness.

Fascinating!
Old 16 November 2016, 10:16 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Watch 'Hypernormalisation' by Adam Curtis. It's on old BBC doco about how we 'accept' living in a post-truth world. I guess a bit like as depicted in The Matrix movie lol.

Seriously though, it's a fascinating watch. Bloody long though: 2hrs 47mins!
Old 16 November 2016, 11:03 PM
gary77
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
How the language flourishes!

After all this international political palaver in 2016, not just Brexit and Trumpism, but a term called 'Post-truth' is also involved in Oxford Dictionaries. It's even being called the international word of the year!

https://www.rt.com/uk/367113-oxford-...ry-post-truth/

From the article:

‘Post-truth’ is an adjective used to describe how objective facts are often less influential in shaping public opinion than appeals to emotion and personal belief.

One of the most infamous examples came from former Justice Secretary Michael Gove, who was accused of importing Trump’s brand of ‘post-truth politics’ to the EU referendum campaign.

He had stuck by the Leave Campaign’s widely discredited claim that Britain sends £350 million (US$430 million) to the EU, and refused to name any economists who backed Brexit, saying “people in this country have had enough of experts.”

Editors say use of the term ‘post-truth’ increased by around 2,000 percent in 2016 compared to last year. It put the rise down to the EU referendum in the United Kingdom and the presidential election in the United States.

The dictionary’s word of the year is intended to “reflect the passing year in language.”

...Oxford Dictionaries’ Casper Grathwohl told the BBC ‘post-truth’ could become “one of the defining words of our time.”

...According to Oxford Dictionaries, ‘post-truth’ was first used in a 1992 essay by the late Serbian-American playwright Steve Tesich in Nation magazine. Tesich, writing about the Iran-Contra scandal and the Persian Gulf war, said: “We, as a free people, have freely decided that we want to live in some post-truth world.”

...Last year, editors controversially chose the ‘face with tears of joy’ emoji. It said the pictograph best represented “the ethos, mood and preoccupations of 2015.”

...Contenders for this year’s title included the noun ‘alt-right’, shortened from ‘alternative right’, which is defined as an “ideological grouping associated with extreme conservative or reactionary viewpoints, characterized by a rejection of mainstream politics and by the use of online media to disseminate deliberately controversial content.”

And,

Brexiteer was also in the running, along with non-political terms including ‘coulrophobia’, which is the fear of clowns, and ‘hygge’, the Danish concept of coziness.

Fascinating!
Id like to just say that the accurate amount is 248million per week but the eu kindly puts money back into the uk for us . Meaning it costs us more in the region of £136000000 per week to be in the eu .

Unless even that was a lie

Is having £136 million pounds a week more not goid enough.

Im not sure who decides where the other £112 million we give them each week gets spent so i cant comment on that

Last edited by gary77; 16 November 2016 at 11:09 PM.
Old 16 November 2016, 11:33 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gary77
Id like to just say that the accurate amount is 248million per week but the eu kindly puts money back into the uk for us . Meaning it costs us more in the region of £136000000 per week to be in the eu .

Unless even that was a lie

Is having £136 million pounds a week more not goid enough.

Im not sure who decides where the other £112 million we give them each week gets spent so i cant comment on that
Gove wasn't backing his statement up with objective facts, that's why his post-truth is an infamous one. but if you're saying what you're saying with the back up of some objective facts, then yours can be called a Pre-truth, I suppose? Also, the calculation of what's achieved back in return is also useful while devising this Brexit-related pre-truth. It's all about give and take. You can't just take and not give.
Old 17 November 2016, 11:30 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

This shows just how forward thinking and ahead of their time the Labour party are. Labour fiscal policy have always been post-truth.
Old 17 November 2016, 11:54 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Watch 'Hypernormalisation' by Adam Curtis. It's on old BBC doco about how we 'accept' living in a post-truth world. I guess a bit like as depicted in The Matrix movie lol.

Seriously though, it's a fascinating watch. Bloody long though: 2hrs 47mins!
I will. Sounds very interesting.

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
This shows just how forward thinking and ahead of their time the Labour party are. Labour fiscal policy have always been post-truth.

Edited to add that Corbyn Party has been called a post-political party, so I suppose we can comfortably call him a post-political leader:

http://www.conservativehome.com/left...cal-party.html

It goes on, doesn't it. Post-truth, post-politics; like post-mortem, post-life/after-life etc. etc.

I'm just pleased it's not a postman yet; asking to vote for a new government so early.

Last edited by Turbohot; 17 November 2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 17 November 2016, 12:15 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

I will. Sounds very interesting.
It's on catchup on Sky.
Old 17 November 2016, 01:01 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

It's on catchup on Sky.

Ah, cool.
Old 17 November 2016, 07:54 PM
gary77
Scooby Regular

Gove wasn't backing his statement up with objective facts, that's why his post-truth is an infamous one. but if you're saying what you're saying with the back up of some objective facts, then yours can be called a Pre-truth, I suppose? Also, the calculation of what's achieved back in return is also useful while devising this Brexit-related pre-truth. It's all about give and take. You can't just take and not give.
We give around £136 million every week. What is it we get in reeturn ? Free trade with them ? So after we leave the eu will we exchange the £249 million a week with a **** load more imigrants and everything will be fine

It could be called a pre-truth (i dont get it) or it could be called a sentance .