Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Orgreave

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2016, 07:20 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Orgreave

What a crock, no inquiry. Clearly scared of the outcome and scarring the cow of the time even more.
Old 01 November 2016, 12:57 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Aye, strongly agree. Was an awful time.
Old 01 November 2016, 01:42 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not certain that an enquiry now would show anything that those who were involved don’t already know. Sure many aggrieved miners and their families might feel better if the UK generally were told the whole story but I would rather the millions it would end up costing were spent in the local communities rather than lawyers’ pockets. It’s doubtful if anyone would end up in gaol 33 years on as many police, for example, have died or retired.The real lessons start with Thatcher and her vicious goal of breaking the union stranglehold and closing loss making pits that the tax payer was paying to keep going. Miners were a tough lot and weren’t prepared to be browbeaten by the police so violent confrontation ensued. And not just the Yorkshire police as there were many other forces joining in with quite a few individuals enjoying “having a go”. The Met’ Police, for example, went along in coach loads and as they drove past the picket lines waved £5 notes out of the windows to show the nearly broke miners what extra the police were being paid.
What will never happen, but should, is for the PM to go to those areas, stand on the town hall steps, and say that Thatcher got it wrong in so many (not all) ways. Just my opinion, thank goodness I was not involved in anyway.

David

Last edited by David Lock; 01 November 2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01 November 2016, 01:55 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

And as a foot note I understand that UK has about 2000 million tons of coal left, which would keep us going for years, so what is current state of play on carbon capture? Perhaps the Hinkley Point billions could sort this out in a year or so. Anyone know?

David
Old 01 November 2016, 01:57 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

So what would an investigation into a 30 year ago event achieve and benefit?
Old 01 November 2016, 02:04 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by David Lock
And as a foot note I understand that UK has about 2000 million tons of coal left, which would keep us going for years, so what is current state of play on carbon capture? Perhaps the Hinkley Point billions could sort this out in a year or so. Anyone know?

David
I think it has been binned...it has

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ge-competition

Kellingley is slowing disappearing from the face of the planet at the moment
Old 01 November 2016, 02:08 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not certain that an enquiry now would show anything that those who were involved don’t already know. Sure many aggrieved miners and their families might feel better if the UK generally were told the whole story but I would rather the millions it would end up costing were spent in the local communities rather than lawyers’ pockets. It’s doubtful if anyone would end up in gaol 33 years on as many police, for example, have died or retired.The real lessons start with Thatcher and her vicious goal of breaking the union stranglehold and closing loss making pits that the tax payer was paying to keep going. Miners were a tough lot and weren’t prepared to be browbeaten by the police so violent confrontation ensued. And not just the Yorkshire police as there were many other forces joining in with quite a few individuals enjoying “having a go”. The Met’ Police, for example, went along in coach loads and as they drove past the picket lines waved £5 notes out of the windows to show the nearly broke miners what extra the police were being paid.
What will never happen, but should, is for the PM to go to those areas, stand on the town hall steps, and say that Thatcher got it wrong in so many (not all) ways. Just my opinion, thank goodness I was not involved in anyway.

David

How did Thatcher get it wrong? Unions were holding a strike-wrecked country to ransom and had been doing so for years, eventually even turning on their spineless Labour party lackeys. Thatcher's breaking of the too powerful unions was long overdue but it took a courageous Prime Minister to see it through.
Old 01 November 2016, 02:13 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^
Kellingley is slowing disappearing from the face of the planet at the moment
That hasn't taken long.....
Old 01 November 2016, 03:39 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

David
from my reading carbon capture is a lame duck technology wise - great in theory, but expensive and unworkable in practise

and Coal is about THE worst fuel for CO2 emissions

Nuclear is enjoying a renaissance, even within some "green" movements due to the fact that it is (in use) pretty much zero carbon emissions
Old 01 November 2016, 05:00 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

An inquiry would be a load of bollox, the style of policing back then is so far removed compared to today's policing that there will be no "lessons learned" and will cost taxpayers millions. Labour ministers say it's shameful that there is no inquiry, but I the truth is it's shameful how they try and link it to the Hillsborough disaster. What possible outcome from such an inquiry will be of any benefit? The only benefit is more political point scoring for Labour and to use it as an opportunity to deflect the attention away from Labour's political turmoil within their party.
Old 01 November 2016, 08:27 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by On-the-bog
So what would an investigation into a 30 year ago event achieve and benefit?
Ask the relatives of Hillsborough?

If the law was broken, or there was a cover up, time should be no barrier.
Old 01 November 2016, 08:40 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

So multiple miscarriages of justice, police being made to sign falsified statements by their superiors is not enough to warrant an inquiry. Justice is justice no matter what the price. It is also believed in some quarters that Hillsborough would not have turned out the way it did had the corrupt police had their wings clipped earlier.
Old 01 November 2016, 08:52 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah, I can't help thinking that actions should have consequences

The police committed perjury, why should time be a limiting factor

What message does that give

edited to add, no one like giving money to lawyers, and the time these things seem to take is a joke

but that is a different point

justice delayed is justice denied

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 01 November 2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01 November 2016, 10:18 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx300scooby
So multiple miscarriages of justice, police being made to sign falsified statements by their superiors is not enough to warrant an inquiry. Justice is justice no matter what the price. It is also believed in some quarters that Hillsborough would not have turned out the way it did had the corrupt police had their wings clipped earlier.

What an utter waste of time and resources such an enquiry would be. Unlike HIllsborough there were no deaths, and by the time any enquiry was concluded most if not all of those responsible would be long retired or dead. The Hillsborough enquiry cost the tax payer an estimated £70 million, much of which landed in the coffers of the legal profession. I'm quite certain that money could be better spent elsewhere.
Old 01 November 2016, 11:05 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paben
What an utter waste of time and resources such an enquiry would be. Unlike HIllsborough there were no deaths, and by the time any enquiry was concluded most if not all of those responsible would be long retired or dead. The Hillsborough enquiry cost the tax payer an estimated £70 million, much of which landed in the coffers of the legal profession. I'm quite certain that money could be better spent elsewhere.
Just try(if you can) to imagine how you'd feel had you been the victim of a corrupt system. Would you lay on your back and just give in? I doubt it. I'd fight it tooth and nail just as I imagine you would. That is unless of course you are a spineless specimen, I wonder.
Old 02 November 2016, 12:09 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Just try(if you can) to imagine how you'd feel had you been the victim of a corrupt system. Would you lay on your back and just give in? I doubt it. I'd fight it tooth and nail just as I imagine you would. That is unless of course you are a spineless specimen, I wonder.

I may well be a spineless specimen as you suggest but I'm not a stupid one. Do you not find it strange that this has all blown up quite recently, following on from Hillsborough, over 30 years after the event? Labour's rabble rousing support for it is clearly intended to undermine the government and divert attention from its own wretched situation. Shame on them for using this for political purposes; they actually couldn't care less about Orgreave.
Old 02 November 2016, 12:33 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So slapped wrist for Yorkshire constabulary and pat on the back for Maggie if she were still here . Tebbit still is you know
Old 02 November 2016, 08:19 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
So slapped wrist for Yorkshire constabulary and pat on the back for Maggie if she were still here . Tebbit still is you know
Maggots 1. Maggie 0
Old 02 November 2016, 09:33 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

That's a little harsh, not all the unions were dodgie.
Old 02 November 2016, 06:26 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Now perhaps Kim Howell and his left wing buddies should be investigated?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_David_Wilkie
Old 09 March 2017, 11:33 AM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39183717
Old 09 March 2017, 11:55 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Surprise surprise.

Biggest load of dirty tricks to that date.

Spoilt the relationship between the police and workers for a LOT of people, not just miners. Some folk will never trust the police again, myself included.

But she knew it was coming: when everyone else was tightening their belts and looking at possible redundancy, the police got a huge wage increase...just before they were used as her private army.
Old 09 March 2017, 12:08 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Lets be honest, it would've been a witch hunt. No amount of public money thrown at an inquiry would change the oppinions of most of the mining community.
Old 09 March 2017, 01:00 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by neil-h
Lets be honest, it would've been a witch hunt. No amount of public money thrown at an inquiry would change the oppinions of most of the mining community.
and what would have come from it even if they did?

Like the Hillsborough inquiry I have no doubt there were failings by police and things could have been done better. But things move on in 30 years and there is very little the same today.

Alot of money for no useful outcome.