Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Has anyone successfully rejected a brandnew car?

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2016, 09:42 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone successfully rejected a brandnew car?

As title really, rejected due to problems?

Last edited by jayallen; 09 October 2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09 October 2016, 09:56 PM
Justme103
Scooby Regular

How long have you had the car?

If less than 30 days you have the right to reject it if any fault occurs,

After 30 days the company has the right to repair the vehicle (within a reasonable time)
If the repair is not successful you can then reject it as well.
Old 09 October 2016, 10:09 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Justme103
How long have you had the car?

If less than 30 days you have the right to reject it if any fault occurs,

After 30 days the company has the right to repair the vehicle (within a reasonable time)
If the repair is not successful you can then reject it as well.
Yeah I've read the consumer rights act 2015 info etc etc but the dealer and Nissan(more Nissan) are having none of it, they won't except my rejection.

I've owned it for a little over 3 and a half months and it's been back to the dealers 3 times. In total it has spent 30 days in their workshop(on and off).....It's only covered 2500 miles and already had the engine out!
Old 09 October 2016, 10:28 PM
Justme103
Scooby Regular

Best thing to do then is put it in writing stating that the vehicle is not fit for purpose & at that mileage it should not need the engine taking out and would expect it to be right. State that you are excising your right as a customer to reject the vehicle as they have had ample attempts to rectify the fault & they have not managed it.

Did you buy it on finance or pay out right?
Old 09 October 2016, 10:29 PM
johned
Scooby Regular

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

+ one above.
Old 09 October 2016, 10:56 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Best thing to do then is put it in writing stating that the vehicle is not fit for purpose & at that mileage it should not need the engine taking out and would expect it to be right. State that you are excising your right as a customer to reject the vehicle as they have had ample attempts to rectify the fault & they have not managed it.

Did you buy it on finance or pay out right?
I have put it in writing but Nissan won't except it. I have a case manager(Nissan customer services) who is ******* useless, he is the guy who won't except it.!

Problems to date.

After only a couple of hundred miles it developed a pop/puff noise on the over run which they told me "They all do it" for which I asked other owners an they said their cars make no such noise.

At roughly 500 miles the engine started rattling, It was recovered back to the dealer who confirmed what I told them which was a timing chain rattle. They had it for a week then told me to collect it because if was ok to drive and they needed to speak to Nissan before any repair could take place.....After a week of not hearing nothing from the dealer I took it back because it had a "clunk" from under the car. Believe it not, the reason they never called to have the car taken in for the timing chain is because they had nothing on their system regarding the repair. I left it there and they took the engine out, fitted the new chain etc and gave it me back after two weeks......but that's all they done, the timing chain, they didn't look into why it was clunking so I took it back the evening I picked it up after the timing chain repair.

The service manager drove the car and told me it was the rear brake pads moving in the calipers and was a "characteristic" of the car! I wasn't having none of it and told him I wanted it sorted, so he said he'd speak to Nissan and see what can be done.....So I took it away.

The next day it developed a suspension creek so off I went again back to the dealers, chucked the keys at the service manager, told him to keep it and walked home. I picked it up on Wednesday the "characteristic clunk" had gone, although I suspect all they've done is smear everything in copper slip but the suspension still creeks like the floor boards in a haunted house!

I don't want the car, I've had enough of it and so has my wife(I bought it for her) but financially I'm in deep having traded in her 2 year old DS3, a large chunk of cash and financed the rest......I looked at trading it in for another car but I'd lose thousands!

Last edited by jayallen; 09 October 2016 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09 October 2016, 11:01 PM
Justme103
Scooby Regular

You will need to send another letter by recorded delivery explaining that it the last letter before legal proceedings.

One other thing you can do is since you bought it partly on finance you can contact the finance company & log with them that you want to reject the vehicle due to the constant faults.
Old 09 October 2016, 11:04 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

You will need to send another letter by recorded delivery explaining that it the last letter before legal proceedings.

One other thing you can do is since you bought it partly on finance you can contact the finance company & log with them that you want to reject the vehicle due to the constant faults.
I have also spoken to the finance company and they also fobbed me off telling me it all has to be sorted through the dealer....!
Old 09 October 2016, 11:06 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You reap what you sow.

So pleased you're having a **** time. can't think of anyone who deserves it more.

Oh and as for the dealer, give me his number so I can send him a present an tell them how well they are doing giving a **** like you a hard time.
Old 09 October 2016, 11:08 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine listed all the issues with a car and parked it on the road outside the dealership for the day and walked to work - leaving the list taped to the side window for all passers by to read. By lunchtime he had the workshop manager asking him to move it, to which he replied "it's broken so I can't, but if you can recover it to your workshop and fix it I'll pick it up on my way home". He never had another problem with it after that.
Old 09 October 2016, 11:10 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
You reap what you sow.

So pleased you're having a **** time. can't think of anyone who deserves it more.

Oh and as for the dealer, give me his number so I can send him a present an tell them how well they are doing giving a **** like you a hard time.
Even with all it's issues, I'd still take it over a rented Vauxhall Viva and a rusty old Mk1 Golf, peasant..
Old 09 October 2016, 11:18 PM
Justme103
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jayallen
I have also spoken to the finance company and they also fobbed me off telling me it all has to be sorted through the dealer....!
It doesnt have to be all down to the dealer. The finance company will get involved.

Get back onto them and tell them that you wont be paying for something that you cant use.
Old 09 October 2016, 11:25 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jayallen
Even with all it's issues, I'd still take it over a rented Vauxhall Viva and a rusty old Mk1 Golf, peasant..
The Viva is not rented, it's on PCP, so she's buying it with your money and I've got 3 MK1 Golfs now, thank you very much.

Oh and did you ever find out who the father of your kids is, cause they sure as hell don't look like you.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 09 October 2016 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09 October 2016, 11:54 PM
scooby2.5maz
Scooby Regular

The Viva is not rented, it's on PCP, so she's buying it with your money and I've got 3 MK1 Golfs now, thank you very much.

Oh and did you ever find out who the father of your kids is, cause they sure as hell don't look like you.

Do tell ditch , what mk1 golfs you got ? Campaign ? . Have had several myself over the years now the last being a 2.0 g60

Maz
Old 10 October 2016, 07:25 AM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

You sure have won at life

Stalker alert .........Weirdo
Old 10 October 2016, 07:27 AM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

It doesnt have to be all down to the dealer. The finance company will get involved.

Get back onto them and tell them that you wont be paying for something that you cant use.
I'm going to get back on the phone day today and try and get this resolved once and for all.

Last edited by jayallen; 10 October 2016 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10 October 2016, 07:59 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

What happened between Ditchy and Jaysllen? Popcorn anyone?
Old 10 October 2016, 08:02 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

PUT IT IN WRITING.
Car is to be rejected, no more finance paid and this is my last letter before I start legal proceedings against you..etc.

Send one to dealer, one to Nissan, one to finance co, all recorded.

No more chat: action!
Old 10 October 2016, 08:27 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

https://www.consumer-ombudsman.org/ComplaintLodgement

Worked a treat when I got them involved with a car we bought from JCT600.

Read up on it a bit first, but we got our money back on a second hand car after 11 months of them pi55ing about.
Old 10 October 2016, 08:33 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a gearbox seize the day I picked up my brand new Ford 1600E in 1970.
The dealer refused to give me back my trade in while a new gear box was fitted.
Old 10 October 2016, 02:38 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
PUT IT IN WRITING.
Car is to be rejected, no more finance paid and this is my last letter before I start legal proceedings against you..etc.

Send one to dealer, one to Nissan, one to finance co, all recorded.

No more chat: action!
All very well saying you'd advise stop paying the finance but it can have pretty serious consequences in the future. Miss a payment without 'permission' and it'll appear in your credit record.

I'd would never recommend halting any finance payment without legal advice.
Old 10 October 2016, 05:48 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by coupe_20vt
All very well saying you'd advise stop paying the finance but it can have pretty serious consequences in the future. Miss a payment without 'permission' and it'll appear in your credit record.

Very true which is why I never stopped the finance payments.

So today I've spoken to my case manager who told me the car has to be booked in again at the dealers for them to have another look at it. I then spoke to the Ombudsman who told me that because the dealer doesn't subscribe to their ADR process there isn't much they can do and advised me to speak to CAB.....Already spoken to CAB, a few weeks ago and they were as usual as the Ombudsman.

I then spoke to Motor Code and again was advised to take the car back to the dealer for a repair or speak to CAB or get an independent inspection blah blah blah...I went to the dealers on the way home and the soonest they can get it back in is the 7th on November, you couldn't make this $hit up!

This is why I posted this thread to see if anyone has successfully rejected a new car because it seems to me that even if you meet the criteria of the consumer rights act 2015 trying to reject a new car under that act is near on impossible.!
Old 10 October 2016, 05:54 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Set the ****** a light and claim on your gap assuming you have it seen as new car?
Old 10 October 2016, 07:02 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

It was some years ago, when the Mazda 3 was first released. It was a PSA engined diesel model. The car was used for a 90mile round trip commute daily, but occasionally and randomly when cold, there would be no power when trying to pull out of a junction.

It became apparent when the car was bout 4 months old, and was taken back to the dealership as warranty work, I think the first time the fuel filter was changed. It was back again when the first service was due and several sensors were replaced. It manifested itself a third time and the ECU was changed. When it returned on the 4th occasion, I rejected it back through the general manager at the dealership with a documented record of the faults and time it had spent in his garage. He told me Mazda needed to make the decision about whether or not they would accept the car back, I contacted Mazda and copied the letter to them, explaining that I would like a swift decision, to determine where I needed to take this as a set of next steps. They told me that the dealer principle would need to come across from the UK, drive the car and give a decision. I advised that he was welcome to do so, but the intermittent nature of the fault meant he may not experience it; I played up the safety angle a little explaining that with the fault documented, it would reflect poorly on Mazda if this caused a collision at a junction for example.

I had a call the following day, asking if I would be willing to accept a replacement Mazda 3. They offered me either the ex-demo which had low mileage and was the same colour and spec, or if I was prepared to wait a couple of days, until they completed their PDI on a brand new motor, I could have it, but it would be red. If I wanted to walk away from Mazda, they would work out a betterment figure, but quite openly stated that they would like me to take the car. I haggled for 12 months of free servicing, as a compensatory gesture to which they agreed, and accepted the replacement new car.

To be honest, aside from the inconvenience, the process was very simple and pain free. Be assertive, deal only in facts, and do so in writing. I would point out this was a 2004 car rejected after around 9 - 10 months of ownership with 18,000 on the clock, serviced at the dealership where it was bought and rejected.

Last edited by tarmac terror; 10 October 2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10 October 2016, 10:06 PM
scousefly
Scooby Regular

If you used finance and they fobbed you off then get the relevant governing body, involved, FCA I think as they are supposed to help you reject the car under the issues you have stated. Oh and just a pet peeve of mine its 'accepted' not 'excepted'
Old 11 October 2016, 02:41 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby2.5maz
Do tell ditch , what mk1 golfs you got ? Campaign ? . Have had several myself over the years now the last being a 2.0 g60

Maz
Nothing special mate, got a 1.6td and just bought a 1.6d with fresh paint and engine build and got another one with it for parts for free, need something to drive while I rip the first one to bits and do a load of welding new panels in over the winter, fresh built engine saves me a few quid and doing it myself,it's also got a few nice bits on it that I want, I'll tart them both up and sell one on later, maybe even make a few quid or at very least save a few quid on parts and panels.
Old 11 October 2016, 09:01 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

It's virtually impossible to reject a car now.

I bought a brand new MK7 Golf GTI in 2014. Had a Gearbox issue from day one. Bought the car from Gillingham, and on the drive back to Darlington (277 miles) is wouldn't cleanly select 5th gear. Didn't really think much of it, and just assumed it being brand new, it would bed itself in.

Weeks went by, and it still kept happening. Took it to my local dealer. Explained everything. They took it out (with me in car) and it happened when the technician drove it. Day later ..... all fixed. Picked it up, drove off, and happened again straight away.

Long story short. Every time the garage had he car, there wasn't a problem. Every time I insisted on sitting in the car when a technician drove it, it happened. Wrote to VW UK who have absolutely no power whatsoever. Eventually after a couple more months, they finally agreed to replace the gearbox.

I'm 70% sure they didn't, as once I picked the car up again (off the road for a month solid) it happened again. Back to dealer etc, only to be accused of not being able to drive.

Took it to another dealer, they drove it. Problem happened again. They had the car for a few days. Still kept happening.

Wrote to supplying dealer, explained the issues, and VW were fully aware of everything. Their response was, they need to have a chance to repair the car themselves. Even though it meant a round trip of 554 miles each time. Asked how many times they would need to try and repair the car. Their response was, as many times as it takes. In other words, you ain't getting your money back.

VW UK are completely useless. I wrote to VW Headquarters in Germany. The UK customer services adviser phoned me a week later, and chuckled. Germany had just passed the letter back onto VW UK.

This little drama went on for 10 months. In all that time, the car was in the dealers for at least 3 months.

Got fed-up in the end. Sold the car and made a huge loss. I'll never buy another VW again.

Yes, I know, I now have an Audi (which is owned by VW) but so is Porsche, Lamborghini, and Bugatti. Same umbrella, different Marque.

So..... to the OP. You'll never get your money back. Especially if you paid for it outright (like I did) as they don't want to know. My advise, is sell the F**king thing and move on.

Last edited by stilover; 11 October 2016 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11 October 2016, 09:06 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by coupe_20vt

Read what I wrote: I said he should write SAYING he will stop further payments due to the car being rejected. Up to the finance co to get involved then.
Old 11 October 2016, 09:13 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

My local audi (Huddersfield) are fantastic. Got a brand new engine fitted due to a design fault in pistons. All in a 2 week turnaround.
They did try blag it but i had ammunition and knowledge to throw at them so they couldn't really say anything.
Old 11 October 2016, 12:50 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Read what I wrote: I said he should write SAYING he will stop further payments due to the car being rejected. Up to the finance co to get involved then.
You wrote -

PUT IT IN WRITING.
I did read what you said.

Maybe you should have

Quick Reply: Has anyone successfully rejected a brandnew car?