Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

UKCPS ltd Parking Notice

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2016, 01:44 AM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UKCPS ltd Parking Notice

Hi all, I'm hoping someone could offer a bit of advice regarding UKCPS and their "Parking Notices". I'm finding a lot of mixed info via Google.

This afternoon I went to Cross Gates centre in Leeds, as the car park was full I parked on Back Austhorpe Rd, this is a public road and parking is not charged on it.

The building in the centre of the picture is Larkspeed and at the time was closed and the staff had all left (3pm).

I was parked on Back Austhorpe Road at the side of Larkspeed (roughly where the silver car is at the corner of the building), there are parking notices there but since it is a public access road that doesn't carry parking charges I assumed parking would be ok. I know a lot of people say it but I really was in there literally 10mins.

Where do I stand with this Parking Notice, do I have to pay? Can I ignore the inevitable letters that will follow? Should I attempt an appeal?

I've read numerous times that this UKCPS are quite the shady company but rarely, if at all, actually pursue court proceedings. Anyone had dealings with them or know how to deal with them?

Thanks in advance
Old 09 October 2016, 05:13 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Why evidence have they provided to prove it was your car ?
Old 09 October 2016, 07:44 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The main thing is, can they prove it was YOU driving?

The answer is no, you do NOT have to say.

Just ignore any letters. DO NOT respond in any way, or you signify acceptance of their demands.
Old 09 October 2016, 09:11 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
The main thing is, can they prove it was YOU driving?

The answer is no, you do NOT have to say.

Just ignore any letters. DO NOT respond in any way, or you signify acceptance of their demands.
This^^^^

Can they prove you was driving??? Just ignore all contact from the parking company, 9/10 it will just go away but incase they do start court proceedings then you will have to reply to the courts, then you could deny you was driving on that day, its not like a speeding ticket where the registered keeper by law has to say who was driving, these are parking company clowns who are trying to screw you out of money by pretending to manage the car park which they probably only been once before to put up the signage!!!

You will get some nasty letters from the parking company trying to scare you into paying up, but just chuck them in the bin!!! It costs the parking company money to take you to court and there win rate at courts are pretty low!!

Had the same problem with a parking company this year and they took me to court!! Lucky enough I won!!!
https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...g-company.html
Old 09 October 2016, 09:19 AM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
Why evidence have they provided to prove it was your car ?
The ticket was on the windscreen when I got back to the car.
Old 09 October 2016, 09:30 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In October 2012, the Protection of Freedoms Act was introduced in England and Wales, bringing in the concept of keeper liability. This change in law meant that, should certain conditions be met by the parking company, the keeper of the vehicle could be held liable for the parking ticket if the identity of the driver was not provided by the keeper. At this time, a number of parking companies, such as ParkingEye and Civil Enforcement Ltd, started to issue county court claims to enforce tickets. It is believed the intention here is to change the public’s perception that private parking tickets can be ignored.

http://www.parkingcowboys.co.uk/appeal-or-ignore/
Old 09 October 2016, 09:33 AM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
This^^^^

Can they prove you was driving??? Just ignore all contact from the parking company, 9/10 it will just go away but incase they do start court proceedings then you will have to reply to the courts, then you could deny you was driving on that day, its not like a speeding ticket where the registered keeper by law has to say who was driving, these are parking company clowns who are trying to screw you out of money by pretending to manage the car park which they probably only been once before to put up the signage!!!

You will get some nasty letters from the parking company trying to scare you into paying up, but just chuck them in the bin!!! It costs the parking company money to take you to court and there win rate at courts are pretty low!!

Had the same problem with a parking company this year and they took me to court!! Lucky enough I won!!!
https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...g-company.html
The actual car park belongs to the Cross Gates Shopping Centre and is a pay to exit car park and it is monitored as it is a busy place but Back Austhorpe Road a public road and is not part of it.

The only thing I think they could argue is that I was on private land (Larkspeed's) but since it's free to park there to visit Larkspeed it shouldn't even be an issue. Plus, as mentioned in my first post, Larkspeed had closed for the day so there was no "loss of income" to them at the time.
Old 09 October 2016, 09:37 AM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
In October 2012, the Protection of Freedoms Act was introduced in England and Wales, bringing in the concept of keeper liability. This change in law meant that, should certain conditions be met by the parking company, the keeper of the vehicle could be held liable for the parking ticket if the identity of the driver was not provided by the keeper. At this time, a number of parking companies, such as ParkingEye and Civil Enforcement Ltd, started to issue county court claims to enforce tickets. It is believed the intention here is to change the public’s perception that private parking tickets can be ignored.

http://www.parkingcowboys.co.uk/appeal-or-ignore/
This bit I'm aware of but there are a lot of people that ignore the letters anyway.

The general consensus being that they don't chase through court for such a small amount but will try their luck every now and then.
Old 09 October 2016, 09:59 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

That about sums it up, not much chance of them chasing you, but they could.

Up to you.
Old 09 October 2016, 11:21 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Contrary to popular belief, private parking charge notices are now legally enforceable, but only if they're issued on the basis that the enforcement company can prove that the conditions of use were reasonable and adequately signed. If you're 100% confident that it would have been impossible for anyone parking where and when you did to reasonably conclude that restrictions were in force, and reasonably understand what those restrictions were, the alternative approach to ignoring the letters is to write back politely and explain why you don't believe the charge applies, and then wait for the inevitable reply from UKCPS telling you why they think you're wrong. Now, if you look carefully, somewhere near the top of that letter there should be a popla reference/verification code*. You then need to take that code, head on over to the POPLA appeals website, put in your code and give them the basic facts of where and when you were parked, the reasons why UKCPS think they have a right to charge you, and the reasons why you think they're talking out of their backsides. POPLA will then weigh up whether the facts add up to an enforceable case, almost certainly decide they don't, then contact UKCPS to see if they have anything further to say. They'll of course very likely get no reply, since the one or two people working at UKCPS who deal with POPLA are the very same one or two out of however many hundreds or thousands of others on UKPCS's payroll who have IQs in double-digits, and they know full well the terms of their parking charges are a load of hot air and why, at which point POPLA will simply void your charge and write back to inform you of this

* By law UKCPS have to give you a popla reference. If they don't, they're liable to have their license to act as parking enforcement company revoked.
Old 09 October 2016, 12:22 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Parking Eye Vs Barry Beavis is always a sobering read.......

http://www.parkingcowboys.co.uk/parkingeye-vs-beavis/

Shaun
Old 09 October 2016, 03:35 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

The consequence of this case is that the genuine pre-estimate of loss argument against high parking charges will no longer work. Parking charges do not need to represent loss, but instead not be extravagant or unconscionable. It does not, however, mean parking charges are enforceable if other arguments can be cited. We have a guide here that offers a number of ideas
Old 09 October 2016, 03:48 PM
The Grift
Scooby Regular

I have just gone through all this with UKCPS in Leeds. I can tell you they do follow through and take you to court. I played the ignore card all the way through thinking\hoping it would go away!!! It didn't and I got a court date!!! The best thing to do off the bat is contact the actual land owner and hope they quash it. There are numerous sites on the internet with up to date information but please don't ignore it. It doesn't work with UKCPS!!
Old 09 October 2016, 07:13 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
Contrary to popular belief, private parking charge notices are now legally enforceable, but only if they're issued on the basis that the enforcement company can prove that the conditions of use were reasonable and adequately signed. If you're 100% confident that it would have been impossible for anyone parking where and when you did to reasonably conclude that restrictions were in force, and reasonably understand what those restrictions were, the alternative approach to ignoring the letters is to write back politely and explain why you don't believe the charge applies, and then wait for the inevitable reply from UKCPS telling you why they think you're wrong. Now, if you look carefully, somewhere near the top of that letter there should be a popla reference/verification code*. You then need to take that code, head on over to the POPLA appeals website, put in your code and give them the basic facts of where and when you were parked, the reasons why UKCPS think they have a right to charge you, and the reasons why you think they're talking out of their backsides. POPLA will then weigh up whether the facts add up to an enforceable case, almost certainly decide they don't, then contact UKCPS to see if they have anything further to say. They'll of course very likely get no reply, since the one or two people working at UKCPS who deal with POPLA are the very same one or two out of however many hundreds or thousands of others on UKPCS's payroll who have IQs in double-digits, and they know full well the terms of their parking charges are a load of hot air and why, at which point POPLA will simply void your charge and write back to inform you of this

* By law UKCPS have to give you a popla reference. If they don't, they're liable to have their license to act as parking enforcement company revoked.
Cracking advice there. Good to know.
Old 10 October 2016, 07:00 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Grift
I have just gone through all this with UKCPS in Leeds. I can tell you they do follow through and take you to court. I played the ignore card all the way through thinking\hoping it would go away!!! It didn't and I got a court date!!! The best thing to do off the bat is contact the actual land owner and hope they quash it. There are numerous sites on the internet with up to date information but please don't ignore it. It doesn't work with UKCPS!!
who won?