Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Travel visa ( to visit uk)

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2016, 10:09 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Travel visa ( to visit uk)

Denied , twice in a row ( kerching...) despite satisfying all requirements .
on the basis that ' we don't believe you will return to your home country'

Is this a reasonable grounds for rejection ?

this is girlfriends 86 y/o mother
Old 05 September 2016, 10:19 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
Denied , twice in a row ( kerching...) despite satisfying all requirements .
on the basis that ' we don't believe you will return to your home country'

Is this a reasonable grounds for rejection ?

this is girlfriends 86 y/o mother
Your GF's mum's age could be an issue. At 86, what if she falls ill here and stays on. Then they can't just put her on a plane and send her back, can they. I'm just guessing.
Old 05 September 2016, 10:27 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

uk wouldn't be liable the bills though would it - no way she'd get treatment here ?

I think its as much political - very few people from zim are allowed presently , cos the situation there , unless youre minister or loaded - then youre waved through

together with middle east situation atm - Basically theres a terrible shortfall in our commitment
Old 05 September 2016, 10:37 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
uk wouldn't be liable the bills though would it - no way she'd get treatment here ?

I think its as much political - very few people from zim are allowed presently , cos the situation there , unless youre minister or loaded - then youre waved through

together with middle east situation atm - Basically theres a terrible shortfall in our commitment
Of course, the visa to any country is much political, Duncan. Of course, a Zimbabwean would have more difficulty getting here; even on a visitor visa. But, remember that even Zimbabwe wouldn't let people in *****-nilly. They would have their own requirements; all politically and financially motivated.

My daughter got a visa for India from Cambodia in January. She had to pay through her teeth and couldn't stay there in India a day longer. If she did, she would have had to face very strict questioning from the Indian immigration and queue rough for like 3 days to get her visa extended. As it's slightly relaxed; politically between Thailand and Cambodia, she only had to pay 500 Bahts a day for staying over her visa free 30 days in Thailand. No scare of getting pulled in by the Thai officials. Just pay extra and display.
Old 05 September 2016, 11:01 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Ha- girlfriends nephew overstayed his visa when we were Zambia , by one day . They said theyd take him to jail but were just attempting to extort money imo . Right at the very last minute when the bus was already leaving they let him go . We reckoned hed had a call from major player in town we knew or his boss had stepped into the office
Old 05 September 2016, 12:02 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Yes, whole world is political, Duncan. World countries are bound within their geographical boundaries that are politically governed. One has to go by what the host country requires. Visa for India expects you to declare if you have a Muslim grandparent/s or any connections with Pakistan or something like that. If you have, even when you may not exactly be a Pakistani, you can be declined a visa. Quite unfair, I think. I don't know for sure, but I don't think Pakistan would let any Indian in, if they have Hindu grandparent/s or any strong connections with India; unless absolutely necessary e.g. politically or financially productive for both parties. Educationally beneficial and for some humanitarian cause, may be. But even those must be politically weighed, I guess.
Old 05 September 2016, 01:46 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

This just highlights how disconnected from reality the people in charge of our immigration system are. If this was a 26 year-old with few or no ties back home, you could well be forgiven for suspecting that the person involved might try and skip under the radar and make a go of things in the UK as an illegal, living in shared accomodation with a bunch of like-minded types of the same age, all supporting themselves with casual jobs washing-up or labouring on the black market. Is it really that likely an 86 year-old grandmother is going to do this though?
Old 05 September 2016, 02:19 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

exactly that .

I doubt theyll budge even if some sort finiacial deposit was left , so as to ensure she went back

systems fcuked
Old 05 September 2016, 02:42 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
exactly that .

I doubt theyll budge even if some sort finiacial deposit was left , so as to ensure she went back

systems fcuked
I think your MIL's UK visa assessment would certainly require her to prove that she has the money for a return ticket. I don't know what exactly were the requirements for her visitor visa, but usually, one has to present the return ticket to the visa issuing body; along with his/her bank statements and job security proof; secure living status evidence at the home country etc. Only fistful of the countries would let you in as a visitor with least checks. I saw many S.E.A. and Middle East disabled/older foreign nationals being held for long time and rigorously checked at the international airport in August. I think they were being checked to ensure not just the validity of the visa but also to re-ensure that they wouldn't stay on. UK immigration has become much stricter over the years. Not just the UK, I think it has gone much stricter all over the world; some very poor countries aside as I think it's assumed that no visitor would want to stay on there, anyway.

I do hope that your MIL gets to visit her daughter and you. If she is satisfying all the requirements, then it's unfair that she's being held back from visiting.
Old 05 September 2016, 02:45 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

you cant buy ticket till you get a visa !
Old 05 September 2016, 03:34 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
you cant buy ticket till you get a visa !
This is not true. Of course, you can buy a airplane ticket for anyone without them having received their visa. An airline doesn't require anyone to present a visa upon purchasing their ticket. At least I have never heard of that or experienced that.

Most countries (their consulate) would require their potential visitor to present a proof of return back to the home country, and one of the major evidences is a return flight ticket. It's weird that that's not the case with your MIL from Zimbabwe, who's being held back because they believe that she might not return.
Old 05 September 2016, 03:41 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I realise of course you can buy a ticket of course but youre not advised to until you've been granted visa .
I suspect an actual return ticket hasn't even come onto their radar
Old 05 September 2016, 03:57 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
I realise of course you can buy a ticket of course but youre not advised to until you've been granted visa .
I suspect an actual return ticket hasn't even come onto their radar
Ok, perhaps that's the way it is, for a visitor from Zimbabwe. And if the British Consulate isn't happy with your mum in-law satisfying them with her finances that she can buy a return ticket and that she's well-settled in her home country which she would definitely want to come back to, then I don't understand why her application is rejected. Unfair for your MIL. Hope she gets to come and see you guys here.