Been a member on here for ages initially owned a Blobeye WRX wagon -

Name:  media-4-1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  66.1 KB

Followed by a Blobeye STi saloon -

Name:  subaru-impreza-saloon-2-0-wrx-sti-4dr-2141291228-640x480_zps97df6df4.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  94.4 KB

I sold the STi in 2012 but dearly missed it for lots of reasons, I think once you own an Impreza they get under your skin. A long succession of all sorts of cars since and I find myself contemplating an STi hatch. I have reached a point in my life where in suddenly realise the attraction of a hot hatch - it ticks so many boxes.

I can occasionally commute to work in it, do the supermarket shopping in it, fill it with family and head up country to see family, track it etc. and all these jobs it takes in its stride. We recently moved a bit more into the sticks - country lanes, tractors, animals on the road and most of the year permanently dirty/slippery roads. So I wanted a sure footed 4wd vehicle, it needs to be a hatch because we now have a dog who when she is transported around is done so in the confines of a crate. It needed to be exciting and reward some spirited driving when the opportunity arises, plus be able to cope with a roof load of bikes and a few blokes going mountain biking on the weekends.

The shortlist I ended up with was -

MK5 R32 - already owned one of these, great cars but feeling a bit dated.
MK6 R - really tempted by this particularly Stage 2+ but still north of £15k
Audi S3 - love how Audis look and I know the S3 responds well to map but they just don't excite me to be in or drive.
STi Hatch - good value, rarely seen on the road, Subaru engineering and reliability

So here I am, is this a good choice, bad choice what are people's ownership experiences and particularly interested if anyone with a hatch has owned any of the above and how they compare??

I have read a lot about ringland failure and must be honest it does worry me a little, have read a post where a guy bought an STi and then 4 weeks later had to spend £4k having engine stripped and forged!

Look forward to hearing people's thoughts.

Si

Last edited by ScoobyRalph; 14 June 2016 at 02:11 PM.
Old 14 June 2016, 02:07 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoobyRalph
Afternoon,

Been a member on here for ages initially owned a Blobeye WRX wagon -

Followed by a Blobeye STi saloon -

I sold the STi in 2012 but dearly missed it for lots of reasons, I think once you own an Impreza they get under your skin. A long succession of all sorts of cars since and I find myself contemplating an STi hatch. I have reached a point in my life where in suddenly realise the attraction of a hot hatch - it ticks so many boxes.

I can occasionally commute to work in it, do the supermarket shopping in it, fill it with family and head up country to see family, track it etc. and all these jobs it takes in its stride. We recently moved a bit more into the sticks - country lanes, tractors, animals on the road and most of the year permanently dirty/slippery roads. So I wanted a sure footed 4wd vehicle, it needs to be a hatch because we now have a dog who when she is transported around is done so in the confines of a crate. It needed to be exciting and reward some spirited driving when the opportunity arises, plus be able to cope with a roof load of bikes and a few blokes going mountain biking on the weekends.

Audi S3 - love how Audis look and I know the S3 responds well to map but they just don't excite me to look at.
STi Hatch - good value, rarely seen on the road, Subaru engineering and reliability

So here I am, is this a good choice, bad choice what are people's ownership experiences and particularly interested if anyone with a hatch has owned any of the above and how they compare??

I have read a lot about ringland failure and must be honest it does worry me a little, have read a post where a guy bought an STi and then 4 weeks later had to spend £4k having engine stripped and forged!

Look forward to hearing people's thoughts.

Si
The hatch Is the worse one on that list.
The 2.5 engine is crap as for engineering and reliability it's neither 20 yr old tech and poor engine.

Last edited by fat-thomas; 14 June 2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 14 June 2016, 02:11 PM
ScoobyRalph
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's not what I was expecting to hear!!!!!

Si
Old 14 June 2016, 02:13 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

That's not what I was expecting to hear!!!!!

Si
If you want another impreza I'd go for a jdm sti or spec c or the very least a UK wideteack blob sti. The hawk has the 2.5.

If you must have that hatch thing get a ready forged one or a jdm version as it still has the proper 2.0 engine
Old 14 June 2016, 02:17 PM
ScoobyRalph
Scooby Regular

Yeah another saloon isn't an option as I said it needs to be a hatch, in that case I will look at forged/rebuilt examples then?

What tech were you referring to that is 20 years old out of interest?

Si
Old 14 June 2016, 02:18 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Yeah another saloon isn't an option as I said it needs to be a hatch, in that case I will look at forged/rebuilt examples then?

What tech were you referring to that is 20 years old out of interest?

Si
The drive train id also consider the tax bracket of the 2.5 cars
Old 14 June 2016, 02:21 PM
ScoobyRalph
Scooby Regular

But is it not the drivetrain that has 'made' the Impreza what it is today and why it has such a cult following? I take it the drivetrain is the same as the Hawk, Blob and Bug then?

Tax is a bit of a ball ache but then an '06 R32 experiences the same problem as do most performance cars post April 2006 so I have just sort of resigned myself to that as part of the running cost.

Si
Old 14 June 2016, 09:31 PM
chrishigham
Scooby Regular

I've just bought a hatch and love it , tax is a pain though

Old 15 June 2016, 06:56 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

You can't beat a forged 2.5 in a road Scoob as the torque makes it effortless to drive and you don't have to rev the **** off it to get it to make it go quick

Love my hatchback

Better off getting advice from people who have owned a hatchback rarther than a hater lol

Last edited by domino46; 15 June 2016 at 06:58 AM.
Old 15 June 2016, 11:18 AM
Frylite
Scooby Regular

I have a 2010 WRX STI and i previously had a 2003 WRX STI Prodrive for 4 years, both cars were completely stock except a remap from Group B motorsports. I can honestly say the 2.5 engine is absolutely fantastic on the road, it produces 320bhp and 360ft/lbs of torque, it is effortless to get moving and produces 250bhp at 3750 rpm, my old WRX STI prodrive had alot more lag and took more effort to get moving. I would not go back to a 2.0 however as people pointed out the reliability is questionable at best, if you get a forged one you will not look back. I love the interior, the cruise control, SI drive, DCCD, sharper handling, interior (some people argue all subaru have poor interiors) etc. Alot of the hate for them is from people who dont own them or have not driven them.
Old 15 June 2016, 12:32 PM
Telf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by domino46
You can't beat a forged 2.5 in a road Scoob as the torque makes it effortless to drive and you don't have to rev the **** off it to get it to make it go quick

Love my hatchback

Better off getting advice from people who have owned a hatchback rarther than a hater lol
Originally Posted by Frylite
I have a 2010 WRX STI and i previously had a 2003 WRX STI Prodrive for 4 years, both cars were completely stock except a remap from Group B motorsports. I can honestly say the 2.5 engine is absolutely fantastic on the road, it produces 320bhp and 360ft/lbs of torque, it is effortless to get moving and produces 250bhp at 3750 rpm, my old WRX STI prodrive had alot more lag and took more effort to get moving. I would not go back to a 2.0 however as people pointed out the reliability is questionable at best, if you get a forged one you will not look back. I love the interior, the cruise control, SI drive, DCCD, sharper handling, interior (some people argue all subaru have poor interiors) etc. Alot of the hate for them is from people who dont own them or have not driven them.
This. Don't just listen to one guy who hates them, but has never actually owned one. Listen to people who have, and if you do worry about needing a rebuild, just have the money waiting.
I love mine (2014), very capable and enjoyable car. You won't regret it.
Old 15 June 2016, 12:32 PM
selhurstscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Frylite
Old 15 June 2016, 12:46 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Originally Posted by Telf
This. Don't just listen to one guy who hates them, but has never actually owned one. Listen to people who have, and if you do worry about needing a rebuild, just have the money waiting.
I love mine (2014), very capable and enjoyable car. You won't regret it.
what does owning it have to do with the facts the engine is rubbish and the tax is high and the styling terrible?
as i said if you must have one a forged or a jdm version with the proper 2.0 engine is a must.
Old 15 June 2016, 12:59 PM
dean.mac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
what does owning it have to do with the facts the engine is rubbish and the tax is high and the styling terrible?
as i said if you must have one a forged or a jdm version with the proper 2.0 engine is a must.
I have had 2 bug eyed jdm imports one was imported in 2006 so I had to pay the high tax even though it was 2000 car. It goes on the year of import so you can still pay high tax on older cars.

Also had a spec c blob eye litchfield. You could say all of them have questionable styling but are enjoyable to drive.

Currently driving a forged hatch STI and it is a very nice car and a lot more modern and comfortable.
Old 15 June 2016, 01:09 PM
Guesty
Scooby Regular

Yeah the tax is 500 ayear but if you can afford it why let it put you off and i been in a few subarus over years but i bought the 2009sti hatch and love it wouldnt change it like it said about effort less driving and when you need the power it only takes a little pressure with the right foot and ur away your speeding before you know it #bestcaryet
Old 15 June 2016, 01:14 PM
Telf
Scooby Regular

Audi S3 - love how Audis look and I know the S3 responds well to map but they just don't excite me to be in or drive.

Si
"What are people's ownership experiences" so, Fat boy, do you own one? Or any of the other examples he has given?
Didn't think so.

I do, well, the new WRX STi which uses the "crap" 2.5. Which I actually find pretty good.

Honestly, if you like the hatch, go for it, don't listen to the haters on here.
Or you could be a sheep and get an Audi or a VW and blend into the other mongs on the motorway/suburbia. I like the fact that mine is something different, only seen about 5 others on the roads, and not many more hatches.
Old 15 June 2016, 01:18 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Originally Posted by Telf
"What are people's ownership experiences" so, Fat boy, do you own one? Or any of the other examples he has given?
Didn't think so.

I do, well, the new WRX STi which uses the "crap" 2.5. Which I actually find pretty good.

Honestly, if you like the hatch, go for it, don't listen to the haters on here.
Or you could be a sheep and get an Audi or a VW and blend into the other mongs on the motorway/suburbia. I like the fact that mine is something different, only seen about 5 others on the roads, and not many more hatches.
people usually like the car they own or they wouldnt buy it
i hate the hatch its a nasty looking thing but thats subjective.
i mentioned the facts of the poor engine (there is a very long thread on here about it) and the high tax bracket and mentioned alternatives like the jdm version.

why do you think its rare??? is it because its limited edition or its ultra expensive or is it that nobody bought one because its not very good???
Old 15 June 2016, 01:30 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Owning one gives you a proper prospective to make a opinion of one , if you haven't owned one how can you look at the pros and cons properly and give someone else advice on owning one , iv had alot of Scoobs over the years and none come close to my hatchback for road use

You used to make me laugh but the way you have been trolling the 2.5 and hatchback threads is starting to make you sound jealous rarther than someone with a valid opinion
Old 15 June 2016, 01:36 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Owning one gives you a proper prospective to make a opinion of one , if you haven't owned one how can you look at the pros and cons properly and give someone else advice on owning one , iv had alot of Scoobs over the years and none come close to my hatchback for road use

You used to make me laugh but the way you have been trolling the 2.5 and hatchback threads is starting to make you sound jealous rarther than someone with a valid opinion
its just my opinion of the hatch, i understand a few like them and thats great if you read what i wrote its mostly about the engine which is FACT read the stickie about it.

why an earth would i be jealous of the hatch

everyones opinion is valid just because you happen to not agree with it dousnt make it wrong.

he posted a list of cars too choose and in my opinion its the worse one on the list. obviously on a subaru site others will think differently.

if i was him id visit hurst cars and try some properly built jdm cars and go from there if he really wants an impreza.

Last edited by fat-thomas; 15 June 2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 15 June 2016, 01:52 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

its just my opinion of the hatch, i understand a few like them and thats great if you read what i wrote its mostly about the engine which is FACT read the stickie about it.

why an earth would i be jealous of the hatch

everyones opinion is valid just because you happen to not agree with it dousnt make it wrong.

he posted a list of cars too choose and in my opinion its the worse one on the list. obviously on a subaru site others will think differently.

if i was him id visit hurst cars and try some properly built jdm cars and go from there if he really wants an impreza.
I said your starting to sound jealous , not that you are jealous ,, granted you may have a valid opinion but it's clouded by the fact your on every 2.5 or hatchback thread you can find slating them so your point gets lost(if you have one lol) ,,, I hate the classic as its old, uncomftable , and owned by every chav that asks his mum and dad for one for Xmas but I'm not slating them on every thread I can find

Just out of curiosity more than anything but what Scoob do you own ?
Old 15 June 2016, 02:01 PM
Frylite
Scooby Regular

why do you think its rare??? is it because its limited edition or its ultra expensive or is it that nobody bought one because its not very good???
Tbh i would probably guess they are rares because of a few reasons not necessarily they are "Not very good" yes the 2.5 issues will put off people however even if the 2.5 was as solid as the 2.0 i think the reason they are more rare is because of the dramatic change to the ethos, i hated the hatches for a very long time, said i would never own one because i loved the true saloon blue and gold rally slag. They appeal to a small demographic. For example a golf R is quicker than the new WRX STI while costing similar money and most people would head towards a golf R because the subaru is far to vulgar and in your face, the are alot more cars that match the performance. When i decided to sell my old wrx sti prodrive i looked at blobs, hawks, jdm imports and i really struggled to find a sub 30k miliage one that met my high standards regarding condition. Your talking a 10 year + car now and most are in a sorry state even when people think they are "clean" they just arnt.

Its sad to say but the Classic and new age impreza are now between 10-25+ years old and starting to feel every day of it. Go test drive the cars you want and make a decision, the only negative i can say is the questionable 2.5 reliability, style is purely individual. Lets be honest Subaru have always had a bit of a love hate look from the car community.

I think (personal taste) that they look mean from the front and actually prefer the flared arches and head lights compared to the new age models (still love the classics) but i would think that because i bought it
Old 15 June 2016, 07:01 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

If you want something dog & bike friendly, just get another late 2.0 WRX Wagon and spend a few quid on modding. Will do everything you want and will be cheaper than a later hatch.
Old 15 June 2016, 07:26 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
If you want something dog & bike friendly, just get another late 2.0 WRX Wagon and spend a few quid on modding. Will do everything you want and will be cheaper than a later hatch.
And look far better
Old 15 June 2016, 10:09 PM
8ulldog
Scooby Regular

Just out of curiosity more than anything but what Scoob do you own ?
@Fat Thomas - answer the mans question. If you don't own a Subaru currently, what do you drive?
Old 15 June 2016, 10:11 PM
8ulldog
Scooby Regular

I have a hatch STi and love it many ways - looks, drive ability, practicality etc - though the interior is not great and there is a worry about the engine. I'm on 60k so far with no known issues and will forge it soon or if it goes.
Old 15 June 2016, 10:17 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Op I have a jdm hatch 2litre twin scroll and it's a savage car . Make 450 for a fraction of the cost of similar upgrade on the 2.5

Personally the hatch is the only Impreza I'd Own I dislike the look of the other models.
Good luck in whatever you decide
Old 15 June 2016, 10:18 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 8ulldog
@Fat Thomas - answer the mans question. If you don't own a Subaru currently, what do you drive?
He probably owns a seven seater grand scenic which is irrelevant really like him or hate him fat Thomas knows his Imprezas he knows what he's talking about 100 percent
Old 15 June 2016, 10:35 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get one. Enjoy the noise. Enjoy being different and those moments when it makes you feel like a driving genius. You know the risks, the downsides and the potential costs but there is a reason you're considering an subaru rather than a VAG machine. So go find one.
Old 15 June 2016, 10:37 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

By jdm no risks just pure pleasure

So I been drinking too
Old 15 June 2016, 10:37 PM
Sleeperluv
Scooby Newbie

I own a 2009 330s and while owning it got it forged,.
Every time I go out for a drive I just have the biggest grin on my face, the torque is what makes this car so special and YES they are marmite I generally like that as seeing something different on the road is a change From the norm'

Quick Reply: Returning To An STi Hatch!!?!!