Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Best waterproof walking boots and clothing

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2016, 03:50 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best waterproof walking boots and clothing

We have fairly recently equipped ourselves with supposedly waterproof boots and jackets from Mountain Warehouse. All were their top of the range ones.

Sadly, their definition of 'waterproof' for boots (from their website) means that they are, but only up to 20mm from the top of the sole. Consequently, my £80, guaranteed for 3 years, boots leaked after ten minutes walking in wet grass last week. I'm already on my second pair after the first ones went back for the same thing in late May.

And my wife's 'waterproof' jacket is leaking after only a couple of months of light use. Further research has found loads of complaints on the internet about them.

I've come to the conclusion that all their stuff is "not fit for purpose" (ahem), and now it's time to equip ourselves with something that is.

We previously had Clarks best Goretex boots, but they leaked fairly early on as well.

Money no object (walking's our main hobby these days), from experience, can anyone recommend the best waterproof walking boots and jackets please?

Thanks for any help.
Old 25 June 2016, 04:15 PM
silver-sub
Scooby Regular

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Can't say about boots but I have this jacket and does the job perfectly fine. Fits really well too.

http://www.tessuti.co.uk/product/can...jacket/019586/
Old 25 June 2016, 05:15 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

That looks great, thanks, but, er, money might slightly be an object then (£600...! We're only walking in England, not Nepal!)
Old 25 June 2016, 05:26 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Outdoor gear seems to be increasingly iffy these days, and annoyingly the price tag does not reflect the quality.

The two most water proof coats I've had was one from Aldi (I kid you not, it's ace...unfortunately I've left it in a hotel in Lyon ) and a Timberland that was on discount which bought to knock about in but proved to a damn good coat until I wore it out.

One thing with coats is sometimes the outer shell has a internal layer that makes it waterproof...washing at the wrong temperature with suds (should be cold wash and minimal non-bio), or putting it in a tumble dryer will wreck them....they look fine, fit fine, wear fine...but leak like a sieve afterwards.

Shoes, God knows, I struggle finding ones with the right soles and inner cushioning that doesn't break down from my sweaty feet within 50kms of walking. The most waterproof ones I've had are a pair of Lomer full leather boots...the most agonisingly uncomfortable boots I've ever had as in the leather upper was so stiff it would not break in and the inner liners broke down from the sweat...but they were very water proof...I still have them, they are wearable now, probably took me 200kms of walking combined with various insoles to break them in, so they are fairly comfy now...problem is the leather is now cracking and the soles are worn out

Last edited by ALi-B; 25 June 2016 at 05:27 PM.
Old 25 June 2016, 05:29 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Mountain Warehouse is basically their own brand sh!te.

I do a lot of walking in the Lakes. I basically wear either RAB or North face clothing. RAB is expensive depending on your budget, but it's quality gear. Winter clothing is a lot thinner that the competition, but also much warmer.

Foot wear, I mostly wear `Merrell` and have found them very comfortable and hard wearing.

Buy my stuff from Cotsworld or George Fisher.
Old 25 June 2016, 07:22 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Berghaus Hillmaster ll GTX. Perfect for wet English country walks through fields and single track paths etc. I recently climbed 500m up a Scottish mountain too with them. Great reviews.
Old 25 June 2016, 07:24 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Thanks folks. I'll look into those.
Old 25 June 2016, 07:56 PM
bigredrob
Scooby Regular

I use Keela waterproofs, and Brasher boots.
Old 25 June 2016, 08:05 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Buffalo kit is great in cold/wet weather but a bit of an acquired taste. Goretex boots will always leak, just a matter of when. Leather boots regularly treated with Nikwax will be waterproof, and it can be applied to wet boots so great to carry with you on a trek of several days.
Old 26 June 2016, 01:20 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Berghaus and Brashers are the same company now I think. The new Berghaus Hillmaster is full leather so won't wear like the half fabric style of walking boots, plus the full leather is much more robust and can be really easily cleaned and re-conditioned/waterproofed.
Old 26 June 2016, 02:27 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Surely an inch plus will go in through laces , whatever theyre made of ??

I suspect there's large variation on what's termed " waterproof" for clothing. Quite apart from the seams

I know cloth I use for covers varies in waterproofness according the number column inches it can stand up to before letting go through.
Old 26 June 2016, 08:22 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Surely an inch plus will go in through laces , whatever theyre made of ??

I suspect there's large variation on what's termed " waterproof" for clothing. Quite apart from the seams

I know cloth I use for covers varies in waterproofness according the number column inches it can stand up to before letting go through.

No leaks through the boot laces as the tongue is an integral part of the boot, not open like a normal shoe.
Old 26 June 2016, 10:57 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Paben
No leaks through the boot laces as the tongue is an integral part of the boot, not open like a normal shoe.
Yep:

With leather boots it is important to look at the upper construction...basically the least parts and less stitching, the more waterproof...if the stitching is between the upper and sole...guess what....it'll leak in a puddle....water will eventually ingress through stitching. This should be obvious seeing you have a needle punching holes through it when its made....but it seems lost on some expensive shoe manufacturers LOL.

Two or one piece piece upper with intergrated tongue and no stitching on the featherline is the most waterproof. The problem, as I have found...if its leather, the trade off of one-piece leather boots is it can make them alot more rigid, sweaty and consequentially uncomfy.

Last edited by ALi-B; 26 June 2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 26 June 2016, 11:12 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Yep:

With leather boots it is important to look at the upper construction...basically the least parts and less stitching, the more waterproof...if the stitching is between the upper and sole...guess what....it'll leak in a puddle....water will eventually ingress through stitching. This should be obvious seeing you have a needle punching holes through it when its made....but it seems lost on some expensive shoe manufacturers LOL.

Two or one piece piece upper with intergrated tongue and no stitching on the featherline is the most waterproof. The problem, as I have found...if its leather, the trade off of one-piece leather boots is it can make them alot more rigid, sweaty and consequentially uncomfy.

I think that for normal use the leather boot is the winner provided it's properly maintained. But in my earlier life it was my fate to spend a lot of time out in all weathers and on all terrains and I have to say there is nothing that works perfectly. After a day out on wet ground in pouring rain you are going to get wet, end of!
Old 26 June 2016, 11:36 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

If you want possibly the best waterproof clothing but don't mind looking silly, get Vass-Tex 550 It's what I use on the farm when power washing inside sheds and what fishermen wear on the trawlers out at sea. Even after a 4 hour complete soaking I'm bone dry still- I've yet to have water make it through .
Old 26 June 2016, 11:46 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

I wonder if that's made by old customer mine - he supplied oiles to fishing people , based in Dundee - this was 25 years ago .

you must sweat like lobster in fear being boiled alive
Old 26 June 2016, 11:48 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

What you wants a pair taylor woodrow , 6th the price

Sorry this is a joke that went around when I was crewing racing yachts .

Newcomer crew would turn up having spent 900 quid on the latest gear

Last edited by dpb; 26 June 2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 26 June 2016, 04:15 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

I got laughed at for turning up to a hike in these, one funny fvcker said "did you not get the email, we are going up a mountain, not down a mine". 3 days into some cold, wet, snowy ground conditions and I was the only one laughing!

https://northseaworkwear.com/st355-j...etal-free.html

My preference for waterproof gear is Paramo - I stick with their cascada range because it has yet to let me down.

Last edited by tarmac terror; 26 June 2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 26 June 2016, 04:21 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

We believe it or not I walk quite a bit with my local rambling group. I know people who spend quite a bit on their kit and some who also complain about it too.

For me I purchased a set of full leather walking boots from Sports Direct and gave them a polish which helps with the waterproofing - they don't leak and I have been up to my show laces in water many times.

For my jacket I also purchased on recently from Sports Direct - £20 for a 3 in 1 and so far it seems to be very good (the inner jacket isn't water proof but good for dry windy days)

It may also be worth buying some additional waterproofing liquid to apply onto your equipment - especially where any stitching is present as this is where it usually leaks..

You do not have to spend a lot of money to get good kit, more look after it and treat it right.
Old 26 June 2016, 04:26 PM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

Scarpa make the best walking boots.

http://www.scarpa.co.uk/

Expensive, but you did say money no object!

Last edited by DoZZa; 26 June 2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 26 June 2016, 04:42 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DoZZa
Scarpa make the best walking boots.

http://www.scarpa.co.uk/

Expensive, but you did say money no object!

I've got two pairs of Scarpa boots but they are typical of Italian footwear, too narrow for anyone with a wide foot and ultimately uncomfortable (for me) over a full day in the hills. Both have been mechanically stretched but considering what they cost this is not satisfactory. They are well made and waterproof though.

But price seems to be no guarantee of effectiveness. My most comfortable and most waterproof leather boots are a pair of cheapo Hi Gear from Go Outdoors; jut £45 with a super grippy sole too!
Old 26 June 2016, 06:33 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Loads for me to go at there folks, thanks very much one and all.