Notices

Couple of post rebuild queries

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2016, 03:16 PM
DJSteveB
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of post rebuild queries

Hi, got back in a Subaru couple of months ago after some time with a megane rs 265 and fancied a bug Sti. Car is running great as it has had a raft of new parts including new vf35 and a bottom end rebuild at API and has only done 62k in its life. Couple of points before I follow up an email to API with a call, I thought I would ask the forum first. The invoice for the build lists rebore, forged pistons, modded oil pump and treated crank etc so I have to presume the original rods were used? Are the v7 rods on the bug Sti generally good?

No headwork done, so I have to presume the heads were untouched and the same head bolts were used again? Is this standard practice? (Uprated gasket included though). Assuming original head bolts were used what sort of power are they good for should I choose to swap the vf35 for something bigger?. Currently running 345/353 with a Bob Rawle map with headers, matched up pipe and decat etc, so no qualms with power.

I am really just trying to plan ahead safely for next steps really and also longevity. Apart from noisy tappet sound on idle from cold and low revs which doesn't get any worse when warmed up (clearances from forged bottom end build I presume) should I discard no headwork has been done and the original rods and head bolts were used? As I said no known problems but would prefer to be safe rather than sorry. Would a head pressure test give a quick answer on if all is well? Apologies for long post and thanks in advance. Cheers