Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The Pill

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2016, 07:12 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Pill

Take a reasonably fit and healthy 20 something female asks her GP to prescribe The Pill.

Would the GP be expected to undertake any medical checks/tests before signing the 'script?

David
Old 11 June 2016, 07:46 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Blood test normally.
Old 11 June 2016, 11:30 PM
Bumblebee01
Scooby Newbie

I just had my blood pressure taken then was given the prescription
Old 12 June 2016, 08:53 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing for anyone I've ever known, unless they see side-effects
Old 12 June 2016, 12:53 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Nothing for anyone I've ever known, unless they see side-effects

Side effects were seizures with a bleed on the brain and a small clot. Life saved by emergency hospital treatment, excellent btw.

This was preceded by quite severe headaches.

So I was wondering if it was "just one of those things (basically bad luck)" or if there was a protocol for medical checks before the pill is given.

David
Old 12 June 2016, 01:28 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't remember much medical intervention when my daughter went on it
Old 12 June 2016, 02:12 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Ask a female who is in receipt of the pill. Us blokes won't know much unless they have medical training.

Trending Topics

Old 12 June 2016, 07:20 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53
Blood test normally.
This is what I thought, some versions of the pill can be quite nasty if it's not right for the person in question (as you've discovered).
Old 12 June 2016, 09:21 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Ask a female who is in receipt of the pill. Us blokes won't know much unless they have medical training.

I do appreciate that but there are females on this board as well as some medics. And there may even be non-gay members who have wives/girlfriends.

=========

The pill being used is Yasmin and there are some significant problems, albeit in the rare risk category with clotting and things such as DVT 2 to 3 times higher than other contraceptive pills. Google reports that it was withdrawn from use in Denmark.

David (who doesn't trust drug companies to tell the truth)
Old 12 June 2016, 10:37 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I knew there was always risk of clots etc. One of me ex's had a few issues from it.

Sounds like luck was on your side David, but as you say I'd be questioning the GP, especially with your background I think you can appreciate that a patient must be made aware of side effects when a prescription is written. But that's just my opinion.

Fwiw I spent half my life taking steroids that cause gum and throat issues..nobody told me. I only found out when my cousin had been prescribed the same and happened to mentioned it!!! Trivial compared to your ordeal but the concern with regards to the GP ensuring a drug's suitability is the same.

Anyway: https://www.doctorfox.co.uk/news/annual-pill-check/

Don't know if there is any NHS protocol with this, but I'd have thought from a competency point of view it's wise to check when side effects can be so catastrophic.

I think you are aware my faith in GPs is pretty low...my grandad died from kidney failure where his failing health was casually dismissed by a GP as "just getting old", and my dad died the same day he visited his GP for a repeat prescription a vaccine/booster check for a holiday...with his heart issues on record, had he had his blood pressure or pulse checked on that day just as a routine check, he maybe still alive today.

I hope she makes a full recovery and wish you all the best.

Last edited by ALi-B; 12 June 2016 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12 June 2016, 10:43 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by David Lock
I do appreciate that but there are females on this board as well as some medics. And there may even be non-gay members who have wives/girlfriends.

=========

The pill being used is Yasmin and there are some significant problems, albeit in the rare risk category with clotting and things such as DVT 2 to 3 times higher than other contraceptive pills. Google reports that it was withdrawn from use in Denmark.

Patronising is not your best trait.
Old 12 June 2016, 11:30 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I knew there was always risk of clots etc. One of me ex's had a few issues from it.

Sounds like luck was on your side David, but as you say I'd be questioning the GP, especially with your background I think you can appreciate that a patient must be made aware of side effects when a prescription is written. But that's just my opinion.

Fwiw I spent half my life taking steroids that cause gum and throat issues..nobody told me. I only found out when my cousin had been prescribed the same and happened to mentioned it!!! Trivial compared to your ordeal but the concern with regards to the GP ensuring a drug's suitability is the same.

Anyway: https://www.doctorfox.co.uk/news/annual-pill-check/

Don't know if there is any NHS protocol with this, but I'd have thought from a competency point of view it's wise to check when side effects can be so catastrophic.

I think you are aware my faith in GPs is pretty low...my grandad died from kidney failure where his failing health was casually dismissed by a GP as "just getting old", and my dad died the same day he visited his GP for a repeat prescription a vaccine/booster check for a holiday...with his heart issues on record, had he had his blood pressure or pulse checked on that day just as a routine check, he maybe still alive today.

I hope she makes a full recovery and wish you all the best.

Thanks Ali

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Patronising is not your best trait.

Please I was not trying to be patronising. My apologies if you think that. Bear in mind that I am old and don't have contact with a young female audience and SN does provide a useful source for female comment.

David

Last edited by David Lock; 13 June 2016 at 12:06 AM.
Old 13 June 2016, 09:30 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

David, I don't think the Pill prescribing doctor is obliged to run any pre-tests unless he/she has reasons to do so; depending upon the patient's medical history. They do usually describe the side effects while prescribing and a patient can ask for a different prescription, if she likes. That has been the case with me and my daughter, anyway. I remember my doctor describing the side effects on the one that I rejected. He then just prescribed the one to me that I felt more comfortable with. Daughter wasn't thoroughly pre-examined with blood/water tests etc. for her suitability to her Pill prescription, either.

Horrific to know about the case you quote. Best wishes to the patient.
Old 13 June 2016, 11:14 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock

=========

Hey, David. You meant no harm with your funny generic retort there, I can see that. Hilarious indeed.
Old 13 June 2016, 01:17 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thank you TH
David
Old 13 June 2016, 01:42 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you've never taken the pill before I think it's shameful on the docs not to have had a blood test as a minimum. Even mild blood pressure pills for migraines require a blood test and regular initial checkups ffs.