Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone into Geocaching? GPS unit advice please

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2016, 12:13 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Anyone into Geocaching? GPS unit advice please

Just a quick post asking about Geocaching - my 13 yr daughter is well into this - and as it gets the kids off YouTube & out of the house and into the countryside we are actively encouraging it! LOL
(I'm sure they've watched the entire internet now!)

Were currently using the official 'Geocaching Pro' app from geocaching.com on various smartphones (Lumia Windows 10 phone on Vodafone & and an Iphone 6 on Orange) the same app is quite different on both platforms, but the windows version is much better it seems - but its akin to stabbing yourself in the eyes with your geocaching biro..... as as soon as you leave any vaguely built up area the Mobile Data Signal required to plot the caches dissolves to nothing leading to some major frustration.

On the Windows phone I downloaded local map data, so it doesn't have to build the map, but it uses mobile data to load the caches on every click!
And it seems that GPS and Data combined rapes the battery on a smartphone, a couple of hours or so and its finished.
Any thoughts on an iPad? Battery would be better, but no data without tethering?

Its her birthday coming up so considering a proper handheld GPS unit - some of the new ones apparently can be a one box solution - such as the Garmin eTrex 10 (cheap end) or a the full colour bad boys that are £250+

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/garmi...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

What does anyone else use - or do you have any advice or recommendations. Its entirely possible we are doing it completely half assed/wrong - hahahaha

Cheers
Old 08 June 2016, 02:31 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can get iPads with data packages, but much like a phone you would lose signal.

Maybe something like

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=be...I6-N8QeVhL7ICQ
Old 08 June 2016, 03:40 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would recommend a dedicated unit rather than a smartphone. No need for mobile data as you can load your maps up beforehand and also the device will be more efficient at keeping satellite lock in less than ideal surroundings.
Garmin are ok, I use Trimble stuff but it can be difficult to get hold of and expensive.

Last edited by pacenote; 08 June 2016 at 03:41 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08 June 2016, 04:46 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2013...rule-them-all/
Old 08 June 2016, 10:17 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did this for fun one summer about 10 years ago. That was using an HP PDA with built in GPS running Garmin XT. It worked ok in terms of getting us to the general area of the cache, but the box or bag or whatever was always located by sight, I think any which we didn't find were either inaccurately located or had been removed. Some located were as small as 35mm film canisters.

I would have thought a cheap tablet would do the job quite well? No real need for mobile data but I guess you could pair to a phone if you need access to update the forum about what has been added or taken from the cache etc. in real time.
Old 09 June 2016, 07:41 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Foget tablets or anything requires a data plan of any sort, unless your:-

Filthy rich and can pay for the data fees

Near a cell mast ...... lol

Hate to say it but you need a dedicated GPS, and the more well specced the better.

And very rugged, . waterproof etc

I have a Magellan meridian , colour screen with uploadable maps, and it will accept geocache shortcodes (very important)

I got an old analog version which has a serial to usb converter cable ...

newer ones come USB ready

Etrax i think there called

Make sure it can accept uploadable waypoints and shortcodes

Why do you need a dedicated GPS

2 AA battery's and it runs for 25 hrs continuously,,,, although you only ever have the screen on for about 20 mins a session
The GPS will give location & way points indoors and in tree cover too ,

You can upload GPS cache codes to the unit, handy if you need a hint when searching... your f*ed trying to search a website with no cell coverage

Mart
Old 10 June 2016, 04:44 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for all the input - after a bit more research I've decided a handheld is a no brainer - so narrowed it down to 2 handheld GPS units - a Garmin ETREX 25 Touch (new - out less than 12 months) or a Garmin GPSMAP64

But as the new ETrex 25 is pretty much a GPSMAP64 in a smaller package - thats the one I think.

Buying the basic one, then putting talkytoaster maps on it - for £2 for a MicroSD card and a free map download rather than the extra £150 Garmin want for the full UK mapping

Aren't forums wonderful things
Old 11 June 2016, 01:59 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr Hu
Thanks for all the input - after a bit more research I've decided a handheld is a no brainer - so narrowed it down to 2 handheld GPS units - a Garmin ETREX 25 Touch (new - out less than 12 months) or a Garmin GPSMAP64

But as the new ETrex 25 is pretty much a GPSMAP64 in a smaller package - thats the one I think.

Buying the basic one, then putting talkytoaster maps on it - for £2 for a MicroSD card and a free map download rather than the extra £150 Garmin want for the full UK mapping

Aren't forums wonderful things
Get swiss armyknife for geocaching, and join one of the geocaching sites,

That way you can download all the caches and edit them in swiss and upload to your GPS

Mart
Old 11 June 2016, 02:19 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I got included UK charts with my Garmin gps